16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Ponsness Warren 375
mtjim
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:18 am  Reply with quote

Just bought a pig in the poke 375 Ponsness Warren on Ebay. It has a 16 ga. kit with it.

Anybody have experience with these reloaders about possible pitfalls.

It is my understanding that the newer 375C has the tapered crimp die which is the only difference. Am I correct?

Any info would be helpful.
MiWolf
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:36 am  Reply with quote

I have loaded with a 375 for over 20yrs now. I'll have it for the rest of my life.

The only problem I have ever had has been some of the dies sticking a bit when removing them for a gauge change. I simply polished those dies that stick, and problem solved.

I have never broken any part on this loader including wad guide fingers. I've loaded 12, 16 & 20, gauges, Light to heavy lead, and a variety of steel including 16 gauge.

I've probably loaded well over 50,000 shells with this machine.

It is a great loader.

Good Luck!
Jeff
mtjim
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:42 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff,

I sure I'll get back in touch with you after I receive my reloader. I'm excited to hear your good report.

Thanks,

Jim
KHughes
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

I picked a 375 up over the winter and set it up to load 2.5" 16's. It works great. The only other difference beyond what you mentioned was that apparently they added a port in the top plate somewhere along the way so that you could change shot/powder bushings without having to drain the shot and powder tubes.

If you are going to load 2.5" shells all you need to do is cut the sizing die down or buy the new taper crimp die which is shorter and you'll be off to the races.

Great loaders built like a tank. I've been well pleased.

Kent
Jimmy Neutron
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:05 pm  Reply with quote

Kent--

Did you have to make much adjustment to the crimp station for this? If so, how difficult is it?

Thx.
gfreire
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:37 pm  Reply with quote

I might add that I've had my 375 for over 20 years. I load 12 and 20 with it. I have found that PW has very good technical assistance and ease in buying parts and accessories.
mtjim
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

Got my PW 375 in on Friday. The machine looks to be in good used condition.

It came with 12 ga. dies installed and a new set of 16 ga. in a box. The 16 ga. is brand new and has not been on the machine. The serial no. is 4899. Anybody have any idea when it was made?

I've already ordered a new manual from PW along with a few bushings that I'll need to load lighter loads.

I'm pumped!!!

Jim
KHughes
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:43 pm  Reply with quote

J Neutron, minimal adjustment was required. I just dropped the pre-crimp down enough to get a good pre-crimp and locked it in place with the set screw. I did the same thing with the final crimp and then adjusted the crimp depth to where I was getting a crimp that looked good. Took about 5 minutes to do this.

Kent
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

mtjim,
Very straightforward rugged machine that as mentioned, will last you for life with minimal maintenance. I started out with one of these in 16ga, bought another 12ga off ebay, and got the heads and dies for 20 and 28ga. The taper crimp is nice if you're using auto loaders, but with carefull crimp adjustments you can get a very good feeding round. I got bit by the PW quality and durability so evident in the 375 and started collecting 800's, the fully progressive loader. Get used to the "single stage", and then for real production prowl around till you can get one of the 800's, depending on condition, run you in the $300 + range. Got one for almost every gauge, sheesh, can you say collectivitis? {:o).
Once in practice you'll ez turn out a 100 an hour on the 375, but the 800 will triple that np. Great machines, the older ones particularly are beautifully machined, parts availability and back up are good.
Enjoy!
R*2
Jimmy Neutron
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Kent.

Tried to order one last week but they are on back order at the factory.
mtjim
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:45 am  Reply with quote

Well to make a long story short here's what I did with my used 375.

I sold it.

And then I turned around and bought a new one in 12 ga. as I already had 16 ga. dies for it.

It came in yesterday just in time for my Birthday!!! I haven't loaded any 16 yet on it but I did load a box of 7/8 oz 12 ga for my grandson to shoot in my Benelli Ultralight. They look Great! And Shoot Great! And eject Great!

Those of you who are new to the 375 or who need more powder bushings check out the converter die that is sold at Ballistic Products. It allows you to use Mec bushings in the PW machine. The load I was working with yesterday called for 15.9 grains of Clays. I didn't have a PW bushing that even came close but thanks to the converter I popped in a Mec 29 and dropped 15.9 consistently in my test drops.

Ballistic Products may not be the best all around source for reloading supplies but they hit a home run with me on this bushing converter!
Andy W
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:52 am  Reply with quote

KHughes wrote:
I picked a 375 up over the winter and set it up to load 2.5" 16's. It works great. The only other difference beyond what you mentioned was that apparently they added a port in the top plate somewhere along the way so that you could change shot/powder bushings without having to drain the shot and powder tubes.

If you are going to load 2.5" shells all you need to do is cut the sizing die down or buy the new taper crimp die which is shorter and you'll be off to the races.

Great loaders built like a tank. I've been well pleased.

Kent

I'm a PW 375 fan from way back. I am loading some 2 9/16" shells for a 1930's vintage A5 16 ga, but I'm left with a hole in the center of the crimp. I've tried deeper/shallower crimps but it doesn't change. Do you have any ideas on how to correct this? I have not shortened the sizing die to allow the taper crimp.

Thanks,
Andy
steve voss
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:16 am  Reply with quote

Andy W wrote:
I have not shortened the sizing die to allow the taper crimp.

Go ahead and shorten the die. Once you have it shortened and make the adjustment downwards on the crimp starter and crimp finish stations, you will get great results. Be sure to have the machinist maintain the same taper on the top edge.

I had mine cut off 1/4" to accomodate the 65mm hulls. I load all of them; 65mm, 67mm, and 70mm hulls; without making any adjustments at all. The short ones are crimped by running the handle to a full stop. The 67s and 70s are crimped by feel, but that is no problem at all.

HTH, sv
Andy W
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:28 am  Reply with quote

I'll give that a try, thanks.