16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  New 16ga AA Wad by Claybuster
blrmkr83
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:24 am  Reply with quote

I was at the Iowa State trapshoot this past weekend and stopped by the Claybusters tent. The WAA16 clone wads are now available. They were giving out 25 piece free samples but i do not have any of the original AA16's to compare to. At least the color looks the same from what I remember.

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:25 am  Reply with quote

Reincarnation of the Winchester AA16 wad is a great thing but what made the wads so good was their use in conjunction with Winchester WAA16 compression formed hull. Now reintroduction of the WAA16 hull would really be something. Making wads is relatively simple now hulls that's a horse of a different color.
8mmFan
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:24 pm  Reply with quote

I spoke with Ron at Claybusters today, and he sent me a sample pack of 25. Nice guy.

I asked him if he knew if it's possible to load 3/4 or 7/8 oz loads with this wad, without using any filler. He said he thought so, that he'd seen load data for that, but couldn't remember where.

Do you guys know if you can use this wad to make a 3/4 oz load without using any filler? I am waiting to reload the 16 ga (I have the press) until I can make light loads without have to mess with extra reloading steps because the wad is too big. 8mmFan
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:59 pm  Reply with quote

8mmFan wrote:

I asked him if he knew if it's possible to load 3/4 or 7/8 oz loads with this wad, without using any filler. He said he thought so, that he'd seen load data for that, but couldn't remember where.

Do you guys know if you can use this wad to make a 3/4 oz load without using any filler? 8mmFan

Not with a 2 3/4 inch folded crimp or a 2 9/16th inch roll crimp. You could probably get a decent crimp with 3/4 ounce load by trimming a Remington SP hull to 2 1/2 inches and using a folded crimp.

I don't think the WAA16 wad is the optimal wad to use with the Cheddite/Cheddite clone or Federal hulls even though there is a lot of data available for both hulls.
SageRat
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:21 pm  Reply with quote

If one is careful to use bulky powder, then the AA wad can be used with Federal and cheddite cases. After all, when I loaded CB 7/8 oz 20 ga. wads in the 16 Rem. cases, I did not get powder migration.

Just my experience.

Lenard
8mmFan
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:04 pm  Reply with quote

Lenard, in your experience, what would be a good bulky powder that would let me put a 3/4 oz load in the Federal case with the WAA wad and not have to use a filler? I've got some Federal cases. 8mmFan
bustingclays
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

I see the 16ga Claybuster WAA16 clones on the Graf's Website for your buying pleasure - listed as "in stock" Very Happy

Who is gonna buy the first 5000 Question Question

Dr. 16 Gauge
SageRat
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:09 pm  Reply with quote

8mmFan, I don't think that 3/4 oz would be enough shot to get a good crimp. When I wrote on bukly powders, I was referring to powder migration with a wad that was smaller in diameter than the inside of the case. JSorry if I mislead you.

Lenard
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:29 am  Reply with quote

Now if we can only resurect the TAPERED CASE we will be in tall cotton .

Hmmmm lets see if that might be accomplished Hmmmmmmmm I wonder ??????????????

Regards Charles
mtjim
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:01 pm  Reply with quote

Charles - are you sure your first name isn't Saint?

You sure do bless us!!!
pumpgun
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:52 am  Reply with quote

Pictured next to an R16:

Roughly same base diameter as an R16. Seems unlikely Claybuster would go to all this trouble if there wasn't a comp. formed hull in the works Smile
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:42 pm  Reply with quote

I looks like the wad would work great in the Rem Hull with 7/8 oz shot and no filler I will have to give that a try.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:04 pm  Reply with quote

Claybuster held true to form , they copy OEM wads and engineer nothing of their own .

We now have a TRUE , 1OZ - 1 1/8 OZ wad to use Hurrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy for those that like the heavy payloads this is utopia .

Just use the wad to load the RGL's for little problems .

Incase you want to load the wad in a straight sided case be advised that powder migration is a large factor to contend with if the loads are jostled around a bit too much .

Regards Charles
pumpgun
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:22 am  Reply with quote

7/8 oz. may be do-able in an RGL with a fluffy powder like GD, or Unique, but it's still really a 1 oz. wad.
I'm anxoiusly awaiting Charles' wad so I can load 3/4, and mabye even 11/16 oz. weenie loads without puffed rice!
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

Hello Pumpgun :

Boy you and I both , cant wait to get a half a dozen cases brought back from Downrange .

You can load the 5/8 OZ load in a RGL but it takes 11/16 OZ or more to load the Cheddite hull been loading some 5/8 OZ and playing with them I kinda like em for practice , real cheap to shoot .

Regards Charles