16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Size Difference in Fiochi Primers?
Redeye
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:42 am  Reply with quote

I seem to recall others saying that Fiocchi primers must be used with Fiocchi hulls because of a slightly different diameter of primer than other manufacturers. Can someone fill me in on this?

Another question that someone familiar with European shells might be able to answer: Who makes 16 gauge Rio hulls? I've collected a few of them off the range and would consider putting them to use if I can find data. Thanks.
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:45 pm  Reply with quote

I use the Fiocchi 616 primer in all hulls. If there is a size difference it is small and the Fiocchi loads just like any other primer as far as I can tell.

Rio hulls are made by UEE in Spain and they use Cheddite hull reloading data.
Square Load
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

I picked up 1200 Fiocchi 616 primers at a garage sale a couple weeks ago for $10. Had heard that they are larger than the others also. Measured them the other day and they are .002" larger than Rems or Winnies. I don't think that is anything to worry about. They seem to seat with the same amount of force as all the others.

Have also heard they are very similar to Win 209's in performance. This apears to be true from what I see in the reloading manuals.

Dennis
woodcock
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:42 am  Reply with quote

Fiocchi primers are indeed slightly larger than other 209 size primers. some reloaders find that, after using Fiocchi primers, other brands of primers do not fit as snugly. The size difference is small but can be felt when reloading using a single stage reloader. I posted a chart on primer sizes some time ago if you care to find it.

Ron
Redeye
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replies!

After loading the other four gauges by the tens of thousands, I'm about to start with the 16. So far, I'm finding that choosing components and locating the proper data is somewhat of a challenge, but interesting. One thing I have discovered for sure: I REALLY like shooting the 16! I've always enjoyed the 20 gauge and hated (but use) the 12. However, I think I could be a happy shotgunner for years to come with only a couple of 16's and a couple of 28's! Actually, in a perverse sort of way, I kind of hope the rest of the shotgunning fraturnity continues to overlook the merits of these two fine gauges. I don't think I can do "mainstream" anymore!
brdetr
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:09 pm  Reply with quote

Ahhh yes, another one has come over to the dark side! Wink

Brian