16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Nobelsport hulls for reloading?
20m3s
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

I did a quick search of the forum archives and didn't find any info, so here goes...

I'm wondering if anyone has any information about what kind of hull Nobelsport uses for their shells? I found some of their 16 gauge shells at a good price and now have a bunch of empty hulls that I'd like to reload.

The factory load was 3 1/4 DE, 1 1/16 oz shot in a 2 3/4 inch shell. The hulls are blue plastic, look to have a plastic basewad, are low brass and made in Italy. The only lettering on the base says 16 Nobel Sport 16, with no stars.

I also have plenty of other hulls to work with, so it's not the end of the world if these don't get loaded. But if someone can tell what kind of hull I have, I can do some digging for load recipes, wads, etc.

Thank you in advance for your help.

-20m3s
Scolari
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:46 am  Reply with quote

I shoot a lot of Nobel shells too, but I have never reloaded the hulls. They look nice and clean after shooting and the crimp is in good shape. They look a lot better than the RGLs I shoot. I will share some info about Nobel primers though. Last year at the Grand, I met a representative with Nobel Sports. He was telling me that Nobel primers are .003 in larger than other 209 primers. That might make a difference if you try to put another primer in a Nobel shell. It might not fit as tight. We will see if anyone has any experience with reloading these shells. I also seem to remember that Nolbel primers can be used in place of Winchester primers when load data calls for Winchester primers.
jchandler
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:06 am  Reply with quote

about 5 years ago I contacted Nobel sport and was told that data for Fiocchi hulls worked well. In the 2007 Hodgdon manual Fiocchi, Victory, PMC and Nobel Sport use the same data.....though I only see this in the 12 ga loads.No loads listed for Fiocchi or Nobel Sport in 16.

I submitted some loads for 16 ga 2 1/2in loads using Fiocchi and Nobel Sport hulls. The loads were identical excpet for the Fiocchi having the Fio616 primers. Velocity was <50fps different but the Fiocchi load was about 1000psi less. Again, primers were different so can't really say for sure.

Hope this helps

Jeff
Scolari
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

I said in an above post that I thought the Nobel primers were .003 in larger in size than other 209 primers. Indeed they are. So what does this mean for reloading Nobel hulls. You will have to use a Nobel primer because the primer pocket is slightly larger. I scrounged around and found a Nobel and a Federal empty in the garage. I poped the primers out of both shells and measured them. The Nobel was .003 in larger. I then tried to push the Nobel primer into the primer pocket of the Federal shell and I couldn't push it in with finger pressure. It was tight. I then tried the Federal primer in the Nobel shell and it almost fell in. I would be afraid it might fall out from the recoil. So, my verdict is to use the Nobel hulls with Nobel primers.
DanLee
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:24 am  Reply with quote

I reloaded a couple boxes of 28-gauge Nobelsport hulls using the Winchester 209 primer. Didn't realize my mistake until my son's 1100 started jamming when the fired hulls ejected and left spend primers in the receiver. I shot the rest of them in a Citori and ordered a sleeve of Fiocchi primers to use in future reloads in these hulls.

DanLee
20m3s
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:37 am  Reply with quote

Thanks all, for your advice and experiences.

It sounds like I should stick with my other types of hulls.

-20m3s