16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16 ga. non-toxic load update from BPI (and new ITX shot)
SDshooter2
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

Just called BPI about reloading non-toxic 16 ga. shells. According to the customer rep I talked to, the only 16 ga. non-toxic recipes BPI has done is for 7/8th oz. loads in steel and 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 oz. loads in Hevishot. Nothing for bismuth, tungsten-iron, ecotungsten, etc. The rep, however, did mention that they will soon have a new bismuth substitute--"ITX Shot." ITX shot will be soft ("about as hard as lead") and will run $129.50 for 7 lbs. (cheaper than Hevishot @ 7 lbs. for $160). BPI's lab is working up 12 gauge ITX loads now, no word yet on when they'll get to 16 gauge loads.
cvdawley
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

That is good news. Though I dont have the 16ga book infront of me, I am sure they have bismuth loads,,not that you can find any...
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:40 am  Reply with quote

BPI's Sixteen Gauge Manual 5th Edition has over a page of Bismuth loads listed so the customer service rep was mistaken. Of course, if Bis Maxx hasn't made bismuth shot available for reloading the data is worthless.
A5Mag12
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:20 am  Reply with quote

cvdawley wrote:
That is good news. Though I dont have the 16ga book infront of me, I am sure they have bismuth loads,,not that you can find any...
Try looking here.

http://www.huntersbismuth.com/home.html

I have done no business with these folks and can't comment one way or another on them or the product.
SDshooter2
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:48 pm  Reply with quote

I just checked the Hunter's Bismuth site mentioned above--the price of their "pourable spherical bismuth-tin" (i.e. "shot") is $66.50 for 7 pounds. They say they can't advertise their "pourable spheres" as shot because of "certain patent considerations."

If this price is current (and the shot is available), that would put Hunter's Bismuth at less than $10 a pound--half the current price of Hevishot (7lbs. for $160 at BPI) and tungsten-iron (5 lbs. for $99). Hunter's Bismuth reports "pourable spheres" in #3- #7 1/2 sizes.
PatrickB
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

Hunters Bismuth has been discussed in chat rooms many times but I don't recall anyone having luck with being able to make contact with the company. If I'm not mistaken someone even drove to their address and the building was empty. Their prices look so cheap because the website has not been updated in at least a year - nobody seems to be able to explain why the website is still functioning. But maybe something has changed and they're back in business.

Interesting information about BPI. Although BPI has always been 16 gauge friendly I would be surprised to see anything but 12 gauge data come from this new shot (at least in the near future).
smashdn
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:19 am  Reply with quote

got the new BPI catalog pamphlet thing yesterday inthe mail. it had the ITX shot in there. The closeup looked like "belted spheres." Not with a protrusion like black cloud pellets but with a flat area around the pellet.