16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Nice Shot
Hootch
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:49 pm  Reply with quote

I patterned some nice shot yesterday through an old 2.5" chambered Parker. IC/Mod. the IC choke was a bit "loose" but will work, and the mod choked barrel was plain deadly. I was suprised as I thought the nice shot would be very "tight" like hevi-shot, but it isn't. I won't be using spred-R wads for this particular load.
I used 7/8oz of Nice Shot #5.
18gr of Clays
Fiocchi Hull and primer(67mm hull)
SG 16 wad
Roll crimped
Sometime this week I will get around to patterning the #6 shot. I do not expect much change, but you never know until you shoot it!
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

It's nice to hear someone taking the time to perform some patterning before the season to get some information on how their gun works with particular patterns. Questions of the day are:

1. What are you chasing that you'll be shooting #5 in both barrels?
If you were just testing how #5 look in a I/C but will shoot either #6 or
#7 1/2 for improved pattern densities. That's the problem with a 7/8
ounce load. I'm assuming that you did weigh the loads since T/M is
just a little lighter than lead and its volume is more. You may have to
to with a different wad??

2. I couldn't find an appropriate (Alliant website down for a bit) to get a
handle on FPS. I'm guestimating that your loads are around 1200-1240
FPS (can be wrong). If you're in that range and still want to shoot #5
in your I/C barrel, you may want to drop your FPS just a bit. Nothing
wrong with going with a little buffering but chamber pressure will rise.
Hootch
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:49 pm  Reply with quote

I will be using nice shot on sharptails/chickens and later on pheasants.
I will probably use #6 early on for the same above, just haven't patterned the #6's yet. Velocity is around 1250. (not chronographed, just from published data) That is about as low fps as I want to go. I would prefer in fact to get it up to 1300, which is my "normal" limit.

I also will use the nice shot in my 10ga's for ducks. haven't started on loading and testing them out yet.

I have in the past used bismuth in a 2 7/8" hull, I didn't care for the bismuth. Since have used hevi-shot. The problem with hs is there is very little data for 2 7/8" hulls. With the Nice Shot, I can use lead load data, and there are some good ones in this hull length.

Not a 10ga forum, but many people are missing the boat with the 12ga 3 1/2. (for that matter people using the 10ga 3 1/2) The 2 7/8" and some 3" loads in the 10ga have tremendous patterns. When I use the 10ga, there isn't much for chasing down wounded ducks. Think about it, 1oz and 1/4, 3/8 or 1/2 out of a 10ga barrel.
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:13 pm  Reply with quote

You may want to rethink the idea of going with a higher FPS with shot pellets that are close to the density of lead. If you check the available data in regards to elapsed speed, retained energy and desiginated leads, you will find out that there are no advantages of going with higher speed loads. One of the ways to tighten up your patterns is drop your FPS in the 1150 FPS area. I would bet the farm that if you put up a few loads with those speeds, you would be significantly impressed with the overall performance of those rounds esp. out of your I/C barrel.

My thoughts for the moment...
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:47 pm  Reply with quote

I agree with Terry.
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

Hootch,
Hello, I have an Ithaca NID in 10 2 7/8 and an L.C. Smith 10 gauge short chamber.
Are you using 7625? What hulls? What wad? I have some Remington original 2 7/8 hulls that I have been using in that I have over 4000 Rem *57 primers.
For lead, I have been using a Rem wad with a 20 gauge 1/2 inch wad inserted into the base of the wad cup and 1 1/4 oz of shot.
Enjoy the day, Mike
Hootch
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

I have been using Federal hulls. After a couple of loadings, cut it to 3"
There was a good load for 3" in BPI's old 10ga Manual.
I use 7625, and some others, would have to stop and look up what I am going to use for the nice shot loadings. I use the Deci-max wads in the 2 7/8" loads.

the problem with 10ga data, everyone uses 2oz loads. Hard to get "good" data for smaller payloads. As I stated before, the advantage to the 10 isn't necessarily that it has a bigger payload (that is certainly an advantage especially with steel)but shooting essentially a 12ga load out of a 10 bore.

If you want, I will round up my favorite loads for short 10's and can give you that info.
Hootch
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:19 pm  Reply with quote

I forgot to address the velocity comments, which I appreciate.
I generally opt for the highest velocity possible. That is, the highest fps I can generate (within pressure limits of specific guns of course) before patterns are comprimised. The higher velocity increases penetration, that relates directly to cleaner kills. Pheasants here in Nebraska are some tough, tough cookies. If they are not hitting the ground dead or near dead, you are going to come up short some birds, even with a dog.

I think I will stick with the load I chose. I might back off a bit on the Clays, or there were a couple more powder choices at the 1150-1200 mark. I am always looking for a "better" load.
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

Hootch, Thanks.
Also, I use an over-shot wad and glue it in with Elmer's School Glue. Seals nicely, fractures well and is water soluble for boo-boos on my clothing.
Enjoy, Mike
RWG
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

Hootch wrote:
the problem with 10ga data, everyone uses 2oz loads. Hard to get "good" data for smaller payloads. As I stated before, the advantage to the 10 isn't necessarily that it has a bigger payload (that is certainly an advantage especially with steel)but shooting essentially a 12ga load out of a 10 bore.

Get a copy of Sherman Bell's 2 7/8" 10 bore recipes. THey were published in DGJ a few years back. Tom Armbrust did the pressure/velocity testing. THere are is a spreadsheet out there with all the data on it. Good to have.