16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Reloaders, what do figure you're reloading a box of shells..
MOJO67
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:23 pm  Reply with quote

for? Dollar wise that is.

I realize it's dependant on how much you shoot but, let's say you load up enough 1 oz loads to use up a 25 pound bag of shot.

I'm looking at re-loading for my 16 as it's too much of a hassle trying to obtain the loads I want for a reasonable price.

Thanks
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:19 pm  Reply with quote

My target/light game bird load is costing less than $4.30 per box but you can calculate your cost using this cost calculator;

http://10xshooters.com/calculators/ShotshellReloadingCost/
jrothWA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:07 pm  Reply with quote

Using bag of shot @$40
works out for 20ga about $4.88 per box.
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:23 am  Reply with quote

IMHO, any serious users of the 16 gauge have made the determination that you have to reload the get the actual loads that you need to really "dial" in this gauge. People that don't shoot the 16 wonder why we go through the effort of scrounging our empties whenever we shoot but since the big ammo company put such a little selection of loads, we have to determine what works best for our various situations. Shooting a factory 1 ounce load in my light SxS can be a real pain when compared to finding a nice 7/8 ounce target recipe. If you need to shoot a 1 1/8 oz in #5, handloading provides you some options. These are some items that you cannot put a time and cost assessment. I always look in that if I shooting the best rounds for my particular gun, it just makes me be a better hunter.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:07 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
sprocket
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:15 am  Reply with quote

I'm coming in under $5/bx with 7/8 oz loads but I've factored in the cost of my press, equip., etc. until it's "paid off".

I mostly reload to have a handy source of shells - the tailored loads, etc are a great bonus.
MOJO67
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:55 pm  Reply with quote

Great info. Thanks guys!!!
offhand35
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

With powder and components on hand, I'm able to reload for $3.11/box. These are 65mm shells. When I have to restock on powder and shot it will come to approx. $3.89 or more.. I don't count the cost of the shells, as that diminishes after about 4 reloads. I have about 15k SG16 wads on hand....those will probably last for a while.

A5Mag12
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:35 pm  Reply with quote

My 3/4 oz 28 gauge loads have $25.00 a box worth of NICE shot in them. So I get a box of 25 good duck loads for just a little bit more than a box of 10 of the new Classic Doubles or Bismuth loads. I have so much Kent ITM for the 16 that it will be a while before I start loading for it. Got everything for it but the powder though.