16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  WTT: Philly Fox Sterlingworth 12b for Browning Auto-5 16b
Palouse
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:14 pm  Reply with quote

I'm in search for a Browning Sweet Sixteen, but I'm not entirely liquid at the moment due to some home repairs (new sewer main), so I thought I'd propose a trade. I've got a Philly Fox Sterlingworth 12 gauge gun that I'd like to trade for a Browning Sweet Sixteen or Auto-5 16 gauge gun.

The Fox has 30", nice ringing barrels that look re-blued, and the case colors, which I believe are original, are at about 60-70%. No dents or dings in the metal, and the gun is mechanically excellent.

The wood has two issues. It appears someone either put on a new butt-plate that doesn't fit perfectly or the stock was shortened and didn't sand the butt-plate to fit the stock. I'm guessing the former since the gun doesn't feel short to me. In addition, the splinter fore-end has a piece missing around where the port bow would be on a boat. It follows the grain pattern. Neither issue makes the gun unusable, and they are entirely cosmetic, but they're there. No cracks, oil-soaked wood or other stability issues.

I took the gun out once and shot 2.5" shells in it because I hadn't checked the chambers. Additionally, I think it's choked full/full. I'll check the chambers, choke constrictions and snap some photos tonight. PM me if anyone's interested in receiving photos.

The gun I'm looking for doesn't have to be pristine since it'll be a field gun, but I don't want any mechanical problems, dents or major scratches in the metal or cracks in the wood; blue can be below 50%, but I'd like to stay away from rust and pitting. Also, I have enough guns with Cutts Compensators and Ploy Chokes; which is to say, I'd like an original factory barrel. Choke is irrelevant so long as the barrel hasn't been altered. Other than that, I'm pretty open. I'm not looking for anything special other than a shooter field gun.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I'd prefer an older gun with 2-9/16" chambers.
Pigeon Grade
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:06 am  Reply with quote

I might be interested in the Fox 12 ga. Need to know serial numbers- and if they all match- also barrel weight stamp and how you determined the chokes-and LOP to the buttplate (not a recoil pad) from both front and rear triggers. Thanks

Last edited by Pigeon Grade on Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Palouse
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:33 am  Reply with quote

PG,

Thanks for your note. I actually forgot about this ad. Embarassed

Having just completed a handgun trade with a guy in Cleveland and having just shipped two long guns off for repair, I'm tired of shipping guns and going through the hoops in a small town to get the post office and UPS to believe and understand shipping laws vis-a-vis firearms. So at this point, I would only be interested in FTF trades. Unfortunately, I seriously doubt the likelihood of anyone on this forum living in Whitman County, Washington, so I think I'm going to sell it locally.

Many apologies for any inconvenience.

EDIT: The nice thing to do would be to answer your questions despite the above...serial numbers match (fore-end iron, trigger bow tang, barrel flats), and the barrel weight stamp is 2. I used a Galazan brass choke gauge to measure choke constriction...don't have a barrel micrometer. In looking at the water table this morning, I'd put money on the action having been re-case-colored.