16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Bad News at WalMart
LanceO
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:38 am  Reply with quote

Bad news... I think. I have just completed a search for ANY 16 gauge ammunition at the five WalMart stores close to me (Bloomsburg, PA). Not one single loaded 16 gauge round to be had.
sneem
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:15 pm  Reply with quote

I've never seen 16 ga in the Wal-Marts around here. Dick's usually has it in this area and the prices aren't bad. It seems Dick's has an ammo sale just about every other week.

LanceO
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:34 pm  Reply with quote

All five of these stores have stocked Remington SGL, in 16-gauge, up until mid August. Now there is not a single round on the shelves. In the past their offerings were limited to SGL in #6 and #8 shot, but the shelves were usually full... and I bought plenty at the reasonable price of $6.39 per box. Now there is none.

On speaking with several of the clerks, I have been reassured that this is not because of the lack of sales. A knowledgeable clerk told me that in this area it sells every bit as well as 20-gauge. The problem lies completely with the WalMart warehouse. Fact is, the local stores are continuously requesting more stock, but nothing is being delivered. Remington is still making it and stores like Cabela's are stocking it (at outrageous prices that I won't pay... these are the same jerk-offs who were charging $54.00 for a bag of shot). One would think that a merchant would be happy to provide what people want to buy... this makes no sense at all.
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:09 am  Reply with quote

The local Wal mart used to have a small selection of 16's, usally the 1 1/8 Federal and the ounce Remington early fall but none once they sold out. Last few years they have had zero 16's. I have my LGS order my 16's by the flat.
Roadkill
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:27 am  Reply with quote

China-Mart no longer cares about their customers. They have grown so huge that they can afford to drive off the few people that care about 'customer service' without hurting their bottom line in the least. Their average customer is just there to save a dime or two and would not know good service if it bit them on the backside. Those of us that do care are sadly in the minority, I think. Crying or Very sad
LanceO
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:31 am  Reply with quote

Roadkill; I think you have hit the nail on the head... and that is a damn shame.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:20 am  Reply with quote

I have a suggestion: Don't go to WalMart.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:16 am  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
I have a suggestion: Don't go to WalMart.

I wouldn't say don't go to WalMart ( own stock and it is currently doing quite well thank you) but I would say don't count on WalMart as your source of 16 gauge ammuniton. Dick's, K Mart and Bass Pro online ordering are much more likely to have what you need. Prices aren't too bad at Dick's and K Mart if you take advantage of the sales.
sixteen
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:04 pm  Reply with quote

Dick's had the RGLs on sale last week for $4.98 by the case. The sale was supposedly only for 12 and 20, but they cost the same as 16s so they let me have the sale price.

Ray
Scolari
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

Wal Mart is one of those places where you can only buy something if it is on the shelf. I'm fortunate or unfortunate enough to have five within easy driving distance. I seldom go there and my wife hasn't been in one in five years. I have been fustrated with them many times. I do stop and buy Federal 20 ga shells there for $4.67/box. That is as cheap as it gets. But 16 ga shells are another story. You are right that mostly they carry Federal high brass shells in #6 shot only. Our stores around here also carry some low brass in #6's also. One thing I've discovered is that the people working behind the counter know nothing about sporting goods. If you can find it, they will ring it up. Thats about it. I've heard every story about the 16 ga ammo you can think of. How about "the 16 ga is obsolete, we have no control of what we get, we don't sell many so we don't carry much" I've written the corporate office a few times with similar answers. They say "check with the store manager" I think I've figured out the real story. They can order what is in their catalog and I've seen it. Federal shells are only available in #6 shot. Remington and Winchester low brass are available in #8's. Good luck getting any of them to order some. One manager said she could order shells for me but it had to be five cases at a time. The only Wal Mart I have ever seen RGL's in was in Arkansas. Not around here. i did stop at a Wal Mart store the other evening and bought three boxes of Federal 1 1'8 oz #6 shot for $9/box. They were red taged to get rid of. I did happen to notice they had gotten some Winchester 1 oz #8's for $7.80 a box. I've just given up on Wally World.
Ash Goodwin
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:19 am  Reply with quote

While I'm not a poster child for Wal-Mart support. I have consistantly been able to buy 1-2 cases of RGLs in 7.5 at all of my surrounding walmarts. sorry for your troubles.

I'll ask a few questions and find out who (at Wal-Mart) to bitch to, and maybe we can get better distribution. Or at least what distribution we should expect.

Ash

Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well- Diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery Munjor, KS 1902
LanceO
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:40 am  Reply with quote

Sir,

You are a scholar and a gentleman. Many thanks... from all of us.
sheabert
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:36 pm  Reply with quote

I have finally found 16's at the wal mart near me (Moscow, ID). Get this- $4.50 for Federal 1 oz #6 or #8 and 4.99 for the 1 1/8 version. too bad I am in college and broke or I would buy them out.
woodsrunner
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:40 pm  Reply with quote

Spent a few days with a friend who lives in Shamokin Dam, Pa. this past June, and we made the rounds in the local gun shops. I remember seeing 16ga loads in at least two shops in the Winfield, Lewisburg, Milton area, and that's not very far from you. One shop especially had a pretty good selection, and I think I remember about six bucks a box.
Kivaari
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

My local Wal Mart had some 16 gauge shells. I don't remember the specifics but they were 3 or more drams and #5 shot...maybe for some ducks over decoys but I know there hasn't been any pheasant in my parts for likely 100 years.....mostly dove hunting around here...

Point is: they are stocking the wrong merchandise.

sks trigger master...www.kivaari.com
over 3,000 trigger tunes one at a time
NRA Endowment Member
Life Member Texas State Rifle Assoc
My best friend: tri-color Fr Brittany