16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Lead alternatives
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:53 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't monitored the ammo forum for some time, but now that non-lead shot is required in some of the areas of California where I hunt, I need advice. What do you guys recommend? I'll explore reloading non-tox later, but right now I need some good factory game loads.
Roper
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:16 pm  Reply with quote

Of the shelf non-tox will be at least twice as expensive as home cooked.

See my newest post on Nice Shot...
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:44 am  Reply with quote

No persoanl experience in 16 gage with either but I would investigate Kent Tungsten Matrix and Bis Maxx Bismuth. Cabela's lists both altho you might be able to buy them cheaper elsewhere.
A5Mag12
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:54 pm  Reply with quote

Kent ITM would be my first choice pricey but a great shell and can be shot in any gun that can handle smokeless powder. RST is loading NICE shot which should be a good shell.

http://store.fastcommerce.com/home_niceshot.html

These guys have a 16 ga steel load that is the fastest steel load in 16 that I know of and should be a fair load if distances are kept inside 40 yards.

http://www.sportingammo.com/
Hootch
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

Wow! I would love to use the #5 steel on upland birds where non-toxic required. What is the price on these shells?

I like the 10ga too, wish he had it in #5. That is okay, I have some nice shot left that I couldn't get loaded in time for trip to NoDak.

I also saw at Cabelas today, some of the "Classic Doubles" hevi-shot. The 20ga has higher velocity than the 16's. 1100 or 1150 isn't it for me, and they won't fit the gun I need them in. Not sure what they were thinking there?
Old Shatterhand
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:12 pm  Reply with quote

Birdswatter wrote:
I haven't monitored the ammo forum for some time, but now that non-lead shot is required in some of the areas of California where I hunt, I need advice. What do you guys recommend? I'll explore reloading non-tox later, but right now I need some good factory game loads.

I have shot som doves and ducks with Eley Impax Bismuth #6, and it worked great. However, I'm not sure that they are available on your side of the Pond.

Pete
mrosspa
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:56 pm  Reply with quote

Birdswatter:

Where do you live in California. There is a place in my area that sells reloading material 10 above cost.

ajaxfjr
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:21 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
Hootch: Wow! I would love to use the #5 steel on upland birds where non-toxic required. What is the price on these shells?

I purchased 6 boxes from sporting amo, some #3's and #2's to try on ducks later in October. Really nice people, $16/box of 25. Pretty good price if you ask me. They showed up in 3 days. After I try them out I will post the results.

Ajax.
Hootch
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:13 pm  Reply with quote

At $16/box, that is pretty good deal. I might try a few myself both in 16ga and in the 10ga. I am also going to check if he can load up some #5 steel in both.
Brian Meckler
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:52 am  Reply with quote

Unless you are hunting waterfowl non-toxic loads are not required for bird hunting except on the Tejon ranch.

Taken from the CA DFG web site

After nearly a full year of public testimony, discussion, and environmental analyses, the Fish and Game Commission modified the Methods Authorized for Taking Big Game (Section 353, Title 14, CCR) in December, 2007 to prohibit the use of projectiles containing lead for hunting deer, bear, wild pig, elk, and pronghorn antelope in areas designated as California condor range. Modifications to Methods of Take for Nongame Birds and Mammals (Section 475, Title 14, CCR) were also adopted to prohibit the use of lead projectiles in the same areas when hunting coyotes, ground squirrels, and other non-game wildlife. These regulations become effective July 1, 2008.

If you hunt in this area, you will be required to use nonlead projectiles to hunt big-game and non-game species beginning July 1, 2008. In addition, while hunting these species in this area hunters may not possess any lead projectiles/ammunition and a firearm capable of firing that lead projectile or ammunition.

NOTE! Lead Projectiles are still legal for hunting upland game species within the nonlead zone.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:32 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. Brian, yeah, I know....unfortunately I do hunt Tejon, that's what I need it for.