16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Got my Nice $hot...
Roper
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:18 pm  Reply with quote

I ordered and received some Nice Shot to work up some non-tox loads for my 16 and 28 gauge guns.

Damned expensive, but with the distinct possibility of Washington State banning lead in the uplands I figured I better get ahead of the curve.

$60.00 gets you 2.2lbs of NS. That's 35.6 ounces. At 3/4 ounces a load, that's 46 or 47 rounds. That comes to $1.30 a round which is much better than off the shelf non-tox that averages $32.00 for 10 shells.

The shot arrives in a plastic zip bag inside a box. There's some funny chinese scratchings on the label, so guess where it comes from. Typical of that regions poor quality control, the shot is less than perfect to be sure. Most pellets are out of round somewhat and easily visible to my 56 year old eyes. It will be interesting to see how this stuff patterns.

The next step is to do some test shot drops with my Sizemasters and weigh them to see how it meters up.

Then, of course, to the pattern board...I'll get back later...
A5Mag12
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:41 pm  Reply with quote

I loaded up some 3/4 oz 28 ga. # 6's at what is supposed to be around 1300 fps. I haven't officially patterned any but did shoot a few rounds at a couple old car hoods and it looks like it will be just the ticket for several of my walk in wood duck holes. I bought 13 kilos of 5's and 6's at the introductory price and would have bought 50 kilos if I knew what the prices were going to do.
Hootch
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

I patterned the #5 and then the #6 shot in my Parker. The mod barrel threw a better pattern than the IC, but both good enough that I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

The pattern was very similar to lead. I was guessing it would shoot pretty tight like Hevi-shot and would need a spreader insert. If I load some up for pheasants in the Dakotas, I will not use a spreader wad.

Plan to try it in my 10ga too, and use it on some ducks.