16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  PW 375C or MEC Sizemaster
ctkelly
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:45 am  Reply with quote

Take the cost diference out of the equation.....which one is the better press? Looking for whichever one is going to put out the best quality shell with minimal fuss and will last a lifetime. Not interested in a progressive at all (I do all my rifle/pistol loading on a singel stage also) so I've narrowed it down to these two options.

Last year there was a slight accident with my 12 gauge 870 wingmaster that I've had for 10 years + so it was replaced with a browning BPS 16 gauge. Fiance decided to she wanted to hunt with me this year also so shes going to carry an 870 express youth in 16 gauge. And not a single store around me carries 16 gauge so I either have to order it in, or begin reloading.....truth be told even if it was sold around here I'd probably get setup to reload anyways.

Looking to make simple 1oz loads for target practice for both of us. Probably need to find a good 1oz hunting load for her also to keep the recoil down, I on the other hand will use whatever works good for pheasant hunting.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:09 am  Reply with quote

The PW 375 is simply the best. Built solid as a rock and I have never heard of anyone that has had a problem of any sort with one. Mine is probably 35 years old and still going strong. Shells align perfectly as they are moved from station to station and there is absolutely no slop or wobble anywhere.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:34 pm  Reply with quote

I would go with the MEC---Given a little care it will also last your lifetime Wink
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:49 pm  Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:21 pm  Reply with quote

shootingsioux wrote:
MEC

Easier to adjust
Better crimp system
More common -- lots more out there
Better factory support
Parts availability far better
Cheaper to adapt to other gages when you get the urge
Easier to sell if you want to move up or find reloading isn't your thing

All this plus the initial cost advantage you already know about.

Boy I have to disagree.
MECs with all of their stamped parts just seem flimsy and cheesey to me. With a PW you don't need parts support cause they just don't break or wear out.
A gauge change is $90.00 during their summer sale.
Try to find a PW 375 on the used market...there aren't any because they are snapped up from the grieving widow before old George's body is cold.
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:50 am  Reply with quote

[quote="ctkelly"]Take the cost diference out of the equation.....which one is the better press? Looking for whichever one is going to put out the best quality shell with minimal fuss and will last a lifetime......]

I think if the focus is on the criteria your looking for; best shell, minimum fuss and last a long time. And cost and personal preference aside.......both will do these things. They both have a history in the field of being broadly used great machines that work for a long time. And if you consider the fact that if they weren't putting out the best shell, either or both would be out of buisness from all the law suits from blown up guns. Or we reloaders would be so pissed at the given machine for one reason or another that it wouldn't be too hard to find negetive press on the web about either. My brother and I were handed down an anchient MEC from an old skeet shooter/farmer-black bird shooter that loaded countless rounds, easilly in the 10's of thousands, through the thing. I retolled it from 12ga to 20ga and loaded all my 2 3/4" rabbit loads with it up until recently (7 years) when I've gone all in on roll crimping; it still works flawlessly. I'm biased toward the MEC I own 4 1-in 20ga 2-10ga 1-16ga. they've always worked (once adjusted) and with a little oiling have been low/no maintenance. Inexpensive, easy to use, outstanding customer service, and easy to obtain. I also have experience with thier other products, industrial man lifts, with a liitle observation its easy to see that MEC likes to keep things simple and are in the game for the long haul. Hope this helps and best of luck in your reloader search and in your marriage, congrats. Mike

ctkelly
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:50 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the opinions guys. I ended up getting a PW 375C, showed up on my doorstep today while I was at work. Got it unboxed and looked it over a little.....very well built. Now all I have to do is wait for the gun club quartermaster to make his monthly trip to Ackley, Ia to pick up some shot for me. Very Happy

Oh yea..maybe I should get this thing mounted to a bench first. Hahah
mtjim
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

ctkelly wrote:
Thanks for the opinions guys. I ended up getting a PW 375C, showed up on my doorstep today while I was at work. Got it unboxed and looked it over a little.....very well built. Now all I have to do is wait for the gun club quartermaster to make his monthly trip to Ackley, Ia to pick up some shot for me. Very Happy

Oh yea..maybe I should get this thing mounted to a bench first. Hahah

You won't be sorry you bought it. Very Happy
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

ct you have got a loader that you can pass down to your kids, grand kids and great grand kids. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:05 pm  Reply with quote

Sweet! You're going to love the PW. And that's no knock on the Sizemaster! I use my Sizemaster for 2 1/2" loads.

Matt