16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  #7 Shot: 300 pellets/ounce
Hootch
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:36 pm  Reply with quote

I agree. I am still a little hesitant on using my #7's. I usually only do so early season, and then usually only in the first barrel.

I have brought down pheasants with 8's, but by sure accident. Have been quail hunting and suddenly under dog's nose rises a big colored cackling rooster pheasant. But as you said, even then the killing shot(s) were neck and head wounds. If these types of birds weren't getting right up under my feet, I wouldn't even shoot at them with 8's. Just cuss a little.

That is why I have #7's in the barrel. I use them for quail too, and just in that case where a rooster decides to bolt, I can still have some confidence in killing him.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:52 am  Reply with quote

I 've taken a number of quail with #7 shot on Cape Cod while hunting grouse or pheasant. there is a dog training area in one of the management areas where folks put out birds to train their pups. The birds not taken are left for others. #7 shot usually penetrates though quail completely except for the occasional pellet that gets hung up in the bones of the wing root. I do not often use #8 for quail, due to the amount of shot left in the meat. A 3/4 ounce load of 7.5 shot kills them better if you aren't popping them right off the end of the gun. Wild quail do not often present that close a shot. However, I've used a 1/2 ounce .410 load of hard #8 shot on stocked birds to keep from pureeing the little buggers with a bigger gauge. Quail are too good eating to waste.
muzz
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:57 am  Reply with quote

The reason pellet numbers vary to the ounce is due to the antimony content. More antimony = more pellets, because it lightens the lead.
The highest antimony shot is almost the same specific gravity as bismuth
topcat
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:01 am  Reply with quote

I have checked and measured shot for thirty years and it does vary quite a bit from batch to batch and maker to maker in both size and hardness.This knowledge can help fine tune your reloads, but by far the most important thing is to put that shotcharge where the target is.