16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Spreader disc - options
sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:23 am  Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone here has tried a simple overshot card as a spreader disc - it would provide a bio-degradable option to the Polywad disc.

If so could you share your findings

TIA
muzz
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:00 pm  Reply with quote

Cut two thin cards, beer cartons, the width that will slip inside your wad. The depth of the wad cup,slit both half the depth,turn one over and slide the two together to form a cross. Put inside your wad and pour the shot charge into all four sections, then crimp. I use that though i use fibre wads to get pellet deformation as well. It spreads like hell.
Or devide your shot into thirds,pour one third, then thin card wad, pour another third, another card wad, final third then crimp
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:31 pm  Reply with quote

Sprocket,
I load roll crimped loads all the time, using the overshot card.
I find it does NOT act as a spreader at all.

sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:48 pm  Reply with quote

I was thinking of the polywad disc is just a solid disc with a small post on it, would the card act as a spreader with 1/8 oz of shot over it...like the polywad "tack" without the post.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:58 pm  Reply with quote

No-I agree with Dave-Another option is to trim the petals off a wad then load as normal Wink
Hootch
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:20 pm  Reply with quote

I use over shot cards on almost every load. It has zero affect on pattern.
Instead of cutting cards up, you can buy Speader X from Ballistic Products, drop right in the wad. Is plastic, not biodegradeable, but sure a lot handier.

If worried about biodegradation, load a stack card load. Use a gas seal, then a card, pour in a 1/3 of shot, another card, then more shot etc.
I believe this was Remington's "brush load" configuration, way back when.
putz463
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:30 am  Reply with quote

[quote="sprocket"]I was thinking of the polywad disc is just a solid disc with a small post on it, would the card act as a spreader with 1/8 oz of shot over it...like the polywad "tack" without the post.[/quote]

I too believe that just the over shot disk doesn't add any measurable spread, I'm not sure but this why I think the "tack" works the way it does; I think that during the set back phase and compresion through the choke phase of a shot's column's life cycle inside the barrle the shot is compressed against the post and at the moment the shot leaves the barrel that amount of compression may help the shot spread away from the insert, almost a rebound effect. Again, just thinking out loud no way of telling. Mike

sprocket
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:33 pm  Reply with quote

muzz wrote:
Cut two thin cards, beer cartons, the width that will slip inside your wad. The depth of the wad cup,slit both half the depth,turn one over and slide the two together to form a cross. Put inside your wad and pour the shot charge into all four sections, then crimp. I use that though i use fibre wads to get pellet deformation as well. It spreads like hell.
Or devide your shot into thirds,pour one third, then thin card wad, pour another third, another card wad, final third then crimp

Muzz - when you say "beer cartons" do you mean the 6 pack holder the box from a 12 pack or the cardboard of a 24 box? Do you have an approx. thickness measurement I could use as a guage?

I have card stock from file folders, beer boxes aplenty and other various paper goods to use for this method.

I've studied up a bit and think the "X" shape in fiber is best for my needs - unless I can roll my own fiber polywad knock offs somehow...I think a trip to the craft store is my future.

Thanks
muzz
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:30 am  Reply with quote

Sprocket,
The card should be about .032 inch, around 1/32". Breakfast cereal boxes are near enough.
Regarding wads,hoashooters idea was the easiest,just cut off the petals of a plastic wad. I wont bore you with how to make your own fibre wads,unless you ask.
regards
muzz
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:08 pm  Reply with quote

Man, it is so much easier, just to buy the Polywad spreader insert.
Set it on top of the shot, crimp, and shoot.
Bang! Dead bird. Wink

Hootch
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:33 pm  Reply with quote

Ballistic Products Inc makes the "X"-streme spreder wad insert. It is a simple x to be inserted in the wad. Works great, just as well as Polywad's device, and a whole lot easier than cutting up cardboard.
sprocket
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks All

What you may not understand is I'm from New England and there for a damn thrifty Yankee type who's got to try it out and spend a stupid amount of $$ and hours chasing materials & tools trying to get it right before I get fed up and frustrated then order the polywad disks at 10% of my efforts and say to hell with the environment...

So who's got a link to polywad?
HIGH$TRAP
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:55 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.polywad-shotgun-shells.com
sprocket
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

10 minutes of Art & Crafts - check
Order placed to Polywad - check

Thanks again All