16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Wads for Fiocchi Hulls
Denio
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:04 am  Reply with quote

I picked up 400 Fiocchi pre-primed hulls from a friend and I am getting a lot of unburned powder in the barrel... I have tried WAA16 wads and Rem. SP16 and BPI wads loading 1oz with Universal Clays..
The wads all seem to have a very loose fit in the hull. I was wondering if the Cheddite or the Gualandi wads are any better. Or is the problem with the hulls? thought I would ask before I bought one of each and throw away or store in the rafter along with all the other stuff I purchased and didn't need..

Thanks... Jim

Last edited by Denio on Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:10 am  Reply with quote

I think you will find the same problem using those wads in the other cases as well. I don't know about the BPI. Those wads were designed for a tapered hull such as the Remington. I use the Gulandi SG 16 wad in the Fiocchi hull with good results.

Matt
Denio
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:40 am  Reply with quote

Matt.. Thanks for the info...

Jim
Bronco
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

Agree with Feather. I use Gulandi wads in Cheddite hulls with excellent results.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:48 pm  Reply with quote

Also, If I understand correctly, Charles Hammacks new wad will be designed to be used in the Fiocchi, Cheddite type cases with 3/4 and 7/8 oz. loads without having to use fillers. Very nice indeed!

Matt
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:36 am  Reply with quote

Here is a simple solution to your probelm. Cut some 1-1/8 inch squares of polyethylene plastic from a garbage bag. Place a square evenly on top of your wad starter and seat the wad normally with the plastic square over the bottom. The square will act a seal and allow you to use these smaller based wads in the roomier cases without a problem. The seal will stop powder migration and help produce a better burn rate without raising pressures. It wil also get blown out of the barrel with the wad.

One thing more to consider. You might need to check your actual powder drop with a scale. I always advise this as a matter of course. Every standard powder bushing I've ever used throws one or more increments too light. The press manufacturese now do this intentionally to cover their butts legally. You will probably find that you will have to use a bushing one to three sizes larger than called for to get the charge weight your data calls for.

If you are converting loads designed for the smaller volume, tapered cases, then you might have to add a 1/2 to a full grain of powder to your load when using a roomier case. This helps keep the pressure and the related burn rate of progressive burning powders where they are supposed to be. Low pressures can and will cause poor burn rates and unconsumed powder to be blown up the barrel. Some folks incorrectly interpret this as evidence of powder migration. Migration happens before the load is shot. the plastric patch I recommend will prevent it.
SageRat
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:25 pm  Reply with quote

I am inclined to believe that the pressures are too low on that load, thus not a complete combustion. Check your loading data.

With some powders, there is not good combustion with lower pressures and I have had to increase loads (according to the receipe) to get a complete burn.

Lenard
Denio
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:38 am  Reply with quote

SageRat.. I think you might be right. I am loading 18 grains of Univ. Clays. The federal hull calls for 19.5 grains which is a straight walled hull like the Fiocchi.
The load has enough kick to it the way it is.. I am not looking for more punishment, but I will try the increased charge and I also ordered some Gualandi wads...
One way or the other I will get it figured out.. Thanks for the info...

Jim
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:59 am  Reply with quote

If you are using the 1 ounce load for target shooting, you are probably absorbing more recoil thatn you need to. I suggest you look up alll the past posts about 3/4 and 7/8 ounce loads. These lighter shot weight loads are far more comfortable to shoot targets with than a hunting weight load, especially if you are mounting your gun before calling for them.

As for hunting loads, most folks are a lot less sensitive to recoil. The gun is usually mounted as part of the sequence. Adrenalin and heightened fixtion on the target also tends to mitigate felt recoil as well. I can fire a 1-1/4 ounce load without feeling any discomfort at a live bird. Doing so on a target range is an entirely different and unpleasant experience.
Denio
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:15 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy..

I do reload for target shooting.. I use factory ammo for hunting.. ( B&P 1&1/16 oz. of #7's... work well on Quail - Huns -and Chukars )
I will give the 7/8 oz a try.. too lazy to go out and get a new bar. Still waiting for the wads from Graf & Sons.. on back order.
I do shoot low gun on everything except wobble trap where I use a 12 gauge.
A day at the patterning board will teach you about a mounted gun...

Jim