16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  How to control pressure
Dave Esau
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:27 pm  Reply with quote

I sent some loads to Tom for ballistic evaluation. They were 7/8 oz. with 15.5 of green dot. He said they were very consistant, and avg. 1162fps. at around 8900psi. The velocity was great, but I was hopeing for a press. below 8000, like 7000 to 7500. I used a .070 nitro overshot card. They performed well on clays, but would still like to drop the press. I have loaded some at 13.7 gr. of GD { mec #24 bush.} and put all the filler under the shot. Hull and wad both Cheddite. Win 209 primer. They patterned nice on paper. Should they give me lower press. without lossing much velocity, or do I need to do something differently?....help Confused

hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:06 pm  Reply with quote

Have you considered another powder Question
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:30 pm  Reply with quote

Dave: Have you joined the Low Pressure Reloading Group? For almost the same cost to send 3 loads to Tom to have tested you will get hundreds of loads to look at!

Matt
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:31 am  Reply with quote

CitoriFeather16 wrote:
Dave: Have you joined the Low Pressure Reloading Group? For almost the same cost to send 3 loads to Tom to have tested you will get hundreds of loads to look at!

Matt

I agree with Matt joining the 16 gauge loaders group is essential if you are interested in reloading for the 16 gauge.

You might want to look at Accurate Arm's Solo 1250. It seems to produce very good velocities with low pressure and is fairly bulky so it reduces the amount of filler required.
pumpgun
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:44 pm  Reply with quote

You could try a cooler primer, ie. CCI 209 (not 209M), Rem. STS 209, or Noblesport 209. If you just want a clays load, drop your payload to ¾ oz.
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:47 pm  Reply with quote

I tried to use Unique for low pressure loads, under 7500 psi, for my Lang. I sent them to Tom Armbrust and was not happy with the results.

Dave Miles recommended SR7625 and after having my new loads tested by Tom I now have some very good low pressure loads.

I'm a member of the LP group and it's worth every penny to join.
Dave Esau
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

I do belong to the low press. group. I guess what I'm trying to ask is what components affect pressure without affecting velocity........or can't you do that. I have Unique loads, which perform well on clays, but it seams dirty compared to Green Dot. I have loaded some 3/4oz. with Unique, but have not tried them yet. I guess in my mind I'm not good enough to dust clays with a 3/4oz load yet. The loads I had Tom test work great for me. I was just hopping for a little lower pressure in my old 1912 S x S Stevens 335.
I probably need to get my mind off Green Dot. I shot a 50 clay course with it, and my tubes were just a little cloudy. I like that. I know low press. means a dirty burn though. I'll try that powder Matt. thanks. Do you happen to have the rest of that load?

FlyChamps
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:26 pm  Reply with quote

Dave, in a semi-auto dirty might be relevant but in a SxS dirty is irrelevant because the "dirt" you see is just from the last shot - everything from previous shots is pushed out the muzzle by the last shot. Just clean it periodically and keep on shooting "dirty" loads.

Almost all of my favorite loads are considered by most shooters to be "dirty" but they are no problem to clean out.
RWG
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

Dave:

Those pressures should be fine in your stevens. Those guns have thick fluid steel barrels and heavy actions. (Presuming the gun hasn't been messed with.) I wouldn't think twice about shooting a 9000 psi load in them. Many consider 9600 psi a normal service pressure for CIP proved 16s. Most European 16s have much lighter fluid steel barrels and daintier actions than a Stevens. Of course, only you can decide what you feel is right to shoot through your gun.
Dave Esau
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:10 pm  Reply with quote

Well, if thats the case, maybe I'll leave things alone. The action is very strong and tight. They are great on clays. For some reason, the paper pattern was much more consistant, than with Unique. Modern RGLs would cause my pins to bind after about 25 rounds. I have shot 100 clays with the above load of GD with no problem. Also you are right about the dirty bores. Really no problem I guess. I'm going to send these lighter loads to Tom just to see what happens. I have also put all the filler under the shot, with no over shot card. It seems to make no difference in the paper pattern. It's only .070 so probably makes no diff. Kind of helps make a good consistant flat crimp though. Will try the 3/4oz loads this weekend. Who knows, maybe I can actually hit something.
thanks fellas