16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  old ammo find
greg
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:17 am  Reply with quote

I discovered a bunch of old 16ga ammo. Appears to be from the 60's, mostly plastic rem and win, various size shot. Some paper loads too. No boxes just shells, a lot, perhaps as much as 500 to 700 rounds. I fired a few from each type, functioned ok.
My Problem: My 16ga shooting is almost exclusively with 2 1/2, or reduced pressure loads for my drillings. What should I do? Cut them open for the shot? Can I cut the crimp and reduce shot and roll crimp? No one near me to trade ammo, and sending ammo thru the mail is a hassle. Also I can not give 100% satisfaction on performance although they are in good shape no sign of water or moisture damage. What to do?
HIGH$TRAP
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:16 am  Reply with quote

Greg, PM sent.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:53 am  Reply with quote

Greg you are correct sending ammuntion through the mail is a no - no but you can ship that amount via UPS or FedEx. You will have to go to a terminal as "Box and Ship" terminals won't accept hazardous materials. Make sure you tell the agent what you are shipping and they will affix an ORM-D label.
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:06 am  Reply with quote

Sorry I'm not closer. I have a flat of 2 1/2 I would work a trade for old winchester or Rem Shure Shot with the 57 primers. There will certainly be some one on the board that can help. Thats why we hang out here.
Good luck,
Ron
greg
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

High$trap, got your email. Maybe i can send you a email pic. Mostly 5, 6, 4 shot,
mostly rem, all seem like heavy loads 1 1/8. One box of win paper, around 50 or so 8 shot, a around 100 win magnum loads, only a few show rust/deterioration around primer.

If i were to cut crimp spill out shot to 1oz load and roll crimp would I acheive a low pressure load? Does old ammo increase/decrease pressure with age?
Augustus McRae
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

greg, I don't think I would try that. The type of powder used, wad and other factors determine pressure also, not just the weight of the shot charge. The safest thing I can think of is break them down and salvage the lead.....or work out some kind of trade with someone who has the low pressure loads. Good luck and be safe.

Regards, Augustus
Hlavoun
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:45 pm  Reply with quote

Sometimes you guys scare me!
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:47 pm  Reply with quote

Augustus: Did you ever ranger some down in west Texas? Smile

Matt
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:14 pm  Reply with quote

No, but his buddy Woodrow Call has. Laughing

Funny you should mention that. I'm now reading Dead Man's Walk. Its way better in print than the movie. So are Comanche Moon and Lonesome Dove. There are some things you can write about well that cannot be recreated on film. How can you translate the smells, other sensations, and the internal feelings of the characters on video like the author can in print (I almost said film Rolling Eyes)? How can you recreate the live scalping of a young man hanging by his hair from the fist of a powerfully built but mishapen, mounted enraged savage going at full gallop? Who could actually sit through the horror of the scene and witness the scalp being ripped off the poor fellow without puking like young McRae and several other of the characters do? Not many I'll wager. Popcorn anyone? I'll read the book thanks. That is enough for me.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:46 pm  Reply with quote

16GG: I thought I had read all of McMurty's books but I must have missed Dead Man's Walk. I will pick it up. I agree that when comparing any book/movie the book is always better! I just started reading "Dances With Wolves" and I have gotten through 3 chapters without falling asleep so that's proof enough for me! I will admit, however, that when I watch the movie Lonesome Dove I do so with my Ivory handled Colt strapped to my side! Laughing My wife thinks I'm strange but so what!

Matt
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

CitoriFeather16 wrote:
I will admit, however, that when I watch the movie Lonesome Dove I do so with my Ivory handled Colt strapped to my side!

Matt

Damn if I had to live in Las Vegas I'd have a Colt strapped to my hip a 10 gauge on the Coffee table and a Platoon from the 101st in my den all the time.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:02 pm  Reply with quote

Aw TB, It ain't as bad as all that! Although I do have a 16ga. J.V. Needham on the coffee table as I type this! Gotta keep the transvestite strippers from being a bother! Laughing

Matt
Augustus McRae
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:15 pm  Reply with quote

As a matter of fact that was me that did some Rangerin'. And you'd have puked too! Some of my most favorite memories though are of sweet young Lorie.....and the time I shot that dumb clown with the buffalo gun, he had it coming. Yes, Gus McRae is one of my all time western heroes. He could always find humor in things and was a loyal friend. In fact, I'm going to start reading the first book in the series.....you've gotten me motivated!

Regards, Augustus
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:03 pm  Reply with quote

Have you noticed that in the the book Dances With Wolves, the tribe is Comanche and not Lakota? Actually, the remaining free Comanches of the Antelope tribe that had survived as such into the Civil War years were far less approchable than the book leads us to believe. Quanah Parker, Satank, and Satanta were not friendly to white soldiers one bit by then. Their people had been fighting bitterly against white encroachment for nearly 40 years and had retreated into the Llano or Staked Plains to get away from white encroachment. It was a very harsh place to live. The good leutenant would have been buzzard bait in no time, good guy or not had he gone there. They would have stolen his horse or shot it, and let him die as he tried to walk out. the Llano itself was their best weapon. the Antelope people themselves were half starved most of the time. A lone white soldier on foot would be dead in no time. Very few whites ever ventured far into the Llano on foot and lived to tell the tale. Even other NA peoples could not go there and live long. It was a place with its own rules of life. If you broke even one, you died for it.

Eventually, it was the promise of food that brought the Antelopes out and onto a reservation. Of course, they still starved. Texans felt the same way about Comanches by then. It was a harsh time and place to live for anyone. Long running mutual fear and hatred will do that to folks regardless of how good they'd like to have been.

The screen writers of the movie were wise to move the setting north to Lakota country. At that time, the northern buffalo herd was still intact whereas the Southern herd had been pretty much decimated from hunting and desease and forced out of its traditional grazing grounds by the huge free ranging herds of cattle being raised on the southern plains around and and east of the LLano.

The Lakota were much more apt to adopt a lone white soldier if he showed some merit as a good human being in their eyes. They had yet to be at war with the white society for long like the Comanche had been. The battle to close the Bozeman trail had not taken place yet. Red Cloud had yet to deal with white encroachment on the scale the Comanches had. so the whole story is more plausable.