16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  All right, riddle me this...
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:53 pm  Reply with quote

I decided to try a few boxes of Spred-r loads in my Foxes; ordered up three boxes of 6's for the 16 and a box of 7-1/2's for the 20. The catalog spec for the 16ga loads says 2-1/2", the box says 2-1/2". Popped one out of the box, and I'll be damned if the shells don't measure slightly longer than a standed Winny 2-3/4" game load.

What am I missing here? Do 2-1/2" shells not really measure 2-1/2"? Has the spec changed from Polywad? Am I in a shotshell Twilight Zone? I'll check with Polywad in the AM, but in the meantime, I'm confused...ideas?

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:17 pm  Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken Polywad Spred-r loads are roll crimped. Roll crimps use less hull length so after shooting they'll be about 2 1/2 - 2 9/16" long.

Hull length is measured "as fired" not "as loaded".
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:29 pm  Reply with quote

You're right; they are roll crimped. And I must admit Embarassed I didn't know the measuremet is as fired, not as loaded. Thanks! Anyway, looking forward to trying 'em!

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook