16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Testing loads
spr310
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:04 am  Reply with quote

I've did a search, but could not find where to send some of my reloads for testing. What is the address and name I send them to? thank you
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:45 am  Reply with quote

Tom Armbrust
Balistic Research
1108 West May Avenue
McHenry, ILL 60050-8918

For best results weigh each powder and shot charge so they are as consistant as possible.

Tom may give you a call with the results. He is very interesting to talk to.
spr310
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:17 am  Reply with quote

Thank you. I've weighed each charge even down to weighing each finished shell.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:55 am  Reply with quote

spr310: What load are you having tested?

Matt
spr310
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

CitoriFeather16 wrote:

Matt

Matt. I found some old recipes and they just say to use a straight wall hull. So I'm using cheddite hulls with w209 primer, 24.3 grains of 4756, 2 nc16 paper wads with a 1/4" fiber wad and 1 1/8 oz of shot. I cut the hulls down as these hulls(pmc) do not seem to fold very good the second time. so i'm doing a roll crimp. By the way I forgot to ask what he charges. I sure like this roll crimping. As I only load hunting loads, time is not essential. I made my own clamp to hold the hull and use my drill press out in the shop I've got it running at a low speed. Does a nice job.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:56 pm  Reply with quote

spr310 wrote:
CitoriFeather16 wrote:

Matt

By the way I forgot to ask what he charges.

$5.00 per shell. 3 shells will probably be enough to get a uesable average of chamber pressure and velocity.
putz463
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:49 am  Reply with quote

[quote="spr310"]I've did a search, but could not find where to send some of my reloads for testing. What is the address and name I send them to? thank you[/quote]

Just a heads-up.....I spoke with Tom the other day about testing some non-tox loads for me. He mentioned since the city where he lives recently went to no dicharging of weapons in city limits that he has to take his testing out to a field and fire them. He said given his local that mid Nov. is about the end of his ability to test citing that it was to cold to cunduct good acurate testing and that it will have to wait until the spring when it's a little more pleasant to be out. He felt that going up against city hall wasn't worth the red tape trouble and has unfortunatly settled into this testing schedule. He did mention that if you want to send test in ammo you can but it will be on the shelf until the weather breaks. Sorry for the unfortunate news, Mike

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:44 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="putz463 He mentioned since the city where he lives recently went to no dicharging of weapons in city limits that he has to take his testing out to a field and fire them. He said given his local that mid Nov. is about the end of his ability to test citing that it was to cold to cunduct good acurate testing and that it will have to wait until the spring when it's a little more pleasant to be out.
[/quote]

Well that just plain sucks!
putz463
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

Well that just plain sucks![/quote]

Sure does, just when I'm trying to develope a non-tox upland spreader and non spreader (1st & 2nd barrel) load that will also work on jumped ducks along streams and small lakes while out pushin birds.

As much as I'd like to push work towards Tom because he is so highly regarded in this sight. He can't be the only one out there offering this service, I'm lookin'. In a conversation with Dave at BPI....he does not offer the testing servicve outside of their own stuff citing work load and the concern over unpredictable load quality that he fears would show-up; it sounded like he was speaking with the voice of experience on this point. Take care, Mike

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

You might approach the powder company for the powder you are intending to use. I have seen some tests performed by Accurate Powder Company for 7/8th ounce loads that I don't think are published anywhere.

I can hold off until Spring as I am just confirming some low pressure loads with a slight change of components. In the meantime I'll just use my old standby loads that have already been validated.
topcat
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:14 am  Reply with quote

I am not sure but Tom Roster used to do some testing I have read. The Tom Roster that wrote the book about buffered lead.
putz463
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:01 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the info TB & Tc, I'll do some homework it. Mike

crowkiller
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:01 pm  Reply with quote

Downrange does testing,not sure about 16ga.
Precision reloading also does testing.
putz463
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:33 am  Reply with quote

[quote="crowkiller"]Downrange does testing,not sure about 16ga.
Precision reloading also does testing.[/quote]

Thanks CK, I'll check em' out.

putz463
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:18 am  Reply with quote

[quote="crowkiller"]Downrange does testing,not sure about 16ga.
Precision reloading also does testing.[/quote]

This is a reply from PR, thanks CK;

We offer ballistic testing in 10, 12, 16, 20, 28 and .410. Test results include velocity, pressure average, extreme variation and standard deviation of your 5-shot string. We require 6 rounds so one can be dis-assembled to verify components. The fee is $40.00 per 5-shot string. Loaded rounds need to be sent via UPS or FedEx...not through the U.S. Mail. The shipping box needs to be marked ORM-D on the outside. This does not create any extra shipping fees but they need to know it is a semi-hazardous package.

Let us know if you need more information.

Thanks!

Mary
Precision Reloading, LLC
124 S. Main St.
Mitchell, SD 57301
800-223-0900