16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Testing loads
spr310
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:37 am  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:
crowkiller wrote:
Downrange does testing,not sure about 16ga.
Precision reloading also does testing.

This is a reply from PR, thanks CK;

We offer ballistic testing in 10, 12, 16, 20, 28 and .410. Test results include velocity, pressure average, extreme variation and standard deviation of your 5-shot string. We require 6 rounds so one can be dis-assembled to verify components. The fee is $40.00 per 5-shot string. Loaded rounds need to be sent via UPS or FedEx...not through the U.S. Mail. The shipping box needs to be marked ORM-D on the outside. This does not create any extra shipping fees but they need to know it is a semi-hazardous package.

Let us know if you need more information.

Thanks!

Mary
Precision Reloading, LLC
124 S. Main St.
Mitchell, SD 57301
800-223-0900

I quess I'll get some loads sent off to them. Thank you
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:42 am  Reply with quote

[quote="putz463 We require 6 rounds so one can be dis-assembled to verify components. The fee is $40.00 per 5-shot string. [/quote]

That's too much money. Shocked
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:21 pm  Reply with quote

I had some loads tested at Precision Reloading. They do a professional job, and turn around time is similar to Tom Armbrust's. There results are also the same as Tom's. I had the same load tested at both places, just to make sure of some things... I would recommend Tom Armbrust though, as he is cheaper, does a great job, and is easy to work with when things don't turn out as you expected. PR would work for winter though.

I would not recommend Ballistic Products. Here's why: I created a load based on a recipe given in the BPI 16 gauge manual, (similarly listed in Edition 4 and 5). (It is the same load I had tested by Tom and PR.) Now, I substituted Buckshot for Lead shot, used the recipe that was most forgiving...in other words used a recipe for 1 1/4 oz lead and used less powder than was called for. I made two loads... One for 10 pellets of OO Buck (approximately 1 1/4 oz weight) and one of 10 pellets O Buck (app. 1 1/8 oz weight). I did remove one gas seal for the 1 1/4 oz load to make room for the pellets. (The recipe calls for 2.) They shot good in my gun, and chronographed close to the speed listed in the BPI manual. I thought great, lets test them to be sure, as I wanted to give the loads to a friend. I'm so glad I tested. The 1 1/4 oz 10 OO buck load came back at around 17,000 psi Shocked ! The 1 1/8 oz 10 O buck load came back at around 14,100 psi! KEEP IN MIND I WAS USING LESS POWDER THAN WAS LISTED. I called BPI and told them what happened, and Dave at BPI said he would make the 10 pellet O buck 1 1/8 oz load at his shop and test it, as all the components are BPI. He called me back and said he got 9000 psi and 1290 fps. That's all I will say on the matter, except that I will never trust a load from a BPI source again. I have made their loads as listed and got velocities higher than they list. I knew they were hot, just not that hot.

Luckily, I was able to reduce my powder on the 1 1/8 oz 10 O buck load even further to get a very nice shooting, safe pressure load. The 1 1/4 oz 10 pellet OO buck load is cautiously being redone...going to try a different powder on that one.

One further note...lead does not equal lead in a shot shell. What I mean, and have confirmed with some testing, an equal weight of small lead shot will not give you the same pressure as an equal amount of large shot. In fact, the smaller the shot, the higher the pressure. Tom Armbrust told me he had seen this trend in his testing, and said the higher pressures usually come from really small shot like #8's and #9's. I thought the opposite would be true with the buckshot, so I made duplicate loads to be tested of the above listed buckshot loads using an equivalent weight of #5 1/2 nickel plated lead shot. The results: the 1 1/8 oz load came in at 14700 psi ...still high, but just a small increase. the 1 1/4 oz load came in at 19600 psi, which is a hugh increase. Now, that load was way to high pressure to begin with, and that may account for the larger increase. But, the bigger pellets showed less pressure than the small shot.

Sorry for the long post, I probably should have put some of this in it's own thread. Don't mean to hijack.
spr310
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:33 pm  Reply with quote

Bowbuilder.
I'm glad you posted that information. The load I would like tested Is an old load I found that was listed for 4756 befor IMR took over. Makes a person do a little thinking. The only difference is I'm using a roll crimp. Comparing the load between Hogdons and Lymans book and BPI, there is quite a difference in pressure.I think I'll wait untill spring and just put them on the sidelines. I'm trying to use loads with paper and fiber wads. I've found a few in BPI's manual. Hope they are okay.
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:17 am  Reply with quote

spr310,

I tried a few of the loads listed in the BPI 16 ga manual using just fiber and nitro card wads. I did not like the performance of these loads. I could never get the velocities listed in the book. I never had any pressure tested, as the performance was sub-par for my use. Hope that helps.
spr310
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:32 am  Reply with quote

bowbuilder wrote:
spr310,

I tried a few of the loads listed in the BPI 16 ga manual using just fiber and nitro card wads. I did not like the performance of these loads. I could never get the velocities listed in the book. I never had any pressure tested, as the performance was sub-par for my use. Hope that helps.

With everything I've read, they have a more open pattern.I patterned a 3/4oz load in my 16 gauge Baikal using mod and full choke tubes. Actually they patterned very well. For grouse I think I'll go with mod and i/c I'm going to try them in the citori today. Was going grouse hunting, but the temp is dropping and the wind is about 20 to 25 miles an hour out of the north. My 1 1/4oz loads knock down roosters at over 30 yds.
Hootch
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:15 am  Reply with quote

I never had much luck with BPI's fiber/cards loads either.

I use the spreader inserts to open pattern. I am also going to try removing petals from wad as posted some time back on a different thread.

I am concerned however, as most of the loads I use are from BPI's manual.
The ones I am using perform well, but now concerned about pressure.

14,000 is quite a jump from 9-10,000!!!

Guess I will have to load my favorites and send them to Tom or PR.
spr310
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:22 am  Reply with quote

I just had a good experience yesterday. I just recieved about 200 federal hulls. Had not reloaded them befor. I picked a load out of Lymans reload ing manual 24.5 grains of longshot,W209 primer, 1 1/8oz of shot. Tated at 1237fps and 6500 psi. I decide to try a couple out at my pattern board. I now have a bruised cheek and a sore shoulder. I've used my loads with clays powder and all rated at 11,000psi and never had a recoil like that. I know that they are way or what the book says. I weigh every load on the digital scale so I know they were not off. Never had cheek slap from my citori befor.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:22 pm  Reply with quote

spr: Why is cheek slap a "good experience"? Sounds like a nice pheasant load though!

Matt
spr310
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:29 pm  Reply with quote

CitoriFeather16 wrote:
spr: Why is cheek slap a "good experience"? Sounds like a nice pheasant load though!

Matt

I quess it was a good experience is that it taught me that I should expect the unexpected when trying some of these loads. I have some Federal shells that I shoot in my LC Smith that are rated at 5500 psi and can not even feel them when shooting. I quess I expected the same when shooting the reloads I did, At supposed to be 6500 psi, I was ready for the recoil and noise that came out of the gun. I just put my eye on the center of my big saw blade I use for patterning and brought the gun up and fired. Well it kept going. You're probably right. I'll go up to the preserve and get some pheasants put out and see how it works.
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:48 pm  Reply with quote

spr310,

That load you made was probably running a lot higher than 6500 psi. Most of my loads I have played around with have been with Longshot, and it is a kicker. 24.5 grains on a 1 1/8 oz load, even with a wad with a lot of cushion is going to be up there in the pressure range, towards 11000 psi. For example, the 1 1/8 oz 10 O buckshot load I mentioned was 14100 psi using 25 grains of Longshot. Now, that was with a pagoda gas seal, very little room for cushion and buffered...but you get the idea...

Longshot gets the job done though!
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

OK folks, pressure has NO EFFECT on recoil.

Free recoil is affected by ejecta weight, velocity and gun weight. Nothing else.

Felt recoil is subjective any may also be affected by gun fit and action type (especially gas operated semi-autos).
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:57 am  Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
spr310
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:45 am  Reply with quote

FlyChamps wrote:

Free recoil is affected by ejecta weight, velocity and gun weight. Nothing else.

Felt recoil is subjective any may also be affected by gun fit and action type (especially gas operated semi-autos).

You are right to a point. But the pressure is the starting point, and then everything else comes in to play. Components in the shell, gun weight, etc. But comparing apples to apples, that is you use the sme gun, felt recoil will be different with different loads. I was just stating the fact that a load listed at 6500 psi and the resulting action was not expected. Using the recoil calculator I can see why. http://www.handloads.com/calc/recoil.asp
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:41 am  Reply with quote

FlyChamps wrote:

I want to tell you that pressure DOES have an effect on recoil. The loads I was testing absolutely stomped me, and left my shoulder damaged for a good week or two. Shooting 6 shots of my overpressurized shells would bruise my shoulder to the bone. Now that I have my 10 O buck loads at a safe pressure, the recoil is much better. I will agree that you can not tell what your pressure is buy the recoil, but all else being equal in a shell, if you put more powder in a shell you are going to get higher pressures and more felt recoil. You are adding more energy to be displaced out the barrel (faster velocity) and into your shoulder...more recoil.