16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Testing loads
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:11 am  Reply with quote

bowbuilder wrote:
FlyChamps wrote:
OK folks, pressure has NO EFFECT on recoil.

Free recoil is affected by ejecta weight, velocity and gun weight. Nothing else.

Felt recoil is subjective any may also be affected by gun fit and action type (especially gas operated semi-autos).

I want to tell you that pressure DOES have an effect on recoil. The loads I was testing absolutely stomped me, and left my shoulder damaged for a good week or two. Shooting 6 shots of my overpressurized shells would bruise my shoulder to the bone. Now that I have my 10 O buck loads at a safe pressure, the recoil is much better. I will agree that you can not tell what your pressure is buy the recoil, but all else being equal in a shell, if you put more powder in a shell you are going to get higher pressures and more felt recoil. You are adding more energy to be displaced out the barrel (faster velocity) and into your shoulder...more recoil.

The only reason your "overpressurized" shells recoil more is that the VELOCITY WAS HIGHER. That has nothing to do with pressure - you might be able to use a different powder to get the same velocity with normal pressure - but the recoil would be the same as your "overpressurized" shells.

I have developed several loads on my own and all went to Tom Armbrust for testing before I shot them to be sure that the pressures are within acceptable limits for the gun(s) I intend to shoot them in.
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:16 pm  Reply with quote

FlyChamps wrote:

The only reason your "overpressurized" shells recoil more is that the VELOCITY WAS HIGHER. That has nothing to do with pressure - you might be able to use a different powder to get the same velocity with normal pressure - but the recoil would be the same as your "overpressurized" shells.

I have developed several loads on my own and all went to Tom Armbrust for testing before I shot them to be sure that the pressures are within acceptable limits for the gun(s) I intend to shoot them in.

Yes, I agree with what you are saying. If a different powder is used, a different pressure/velocity ratio is obtained. I agree that you cannot judge what a shell pressure is just by the recoil. Please reread what I said in my post:
Quote:
I will agree that you can not tell what your pressure is buy the recoil, but all else being equal in a shell, if you put more powder in a shell you are going to get higher pressures and more felt recoil. You are adding more energy to be displaced out the barrel (faster velocity) and into your shoulder...more recoil.

Rereading you original post, that is about what you said also:
Quote:
Free recoil is affected by ejecta weight, velocity and gun weight. Nothing else.

I was implying to spr310 that maybe the recipe he was using was giving a higher pressure and velocity (although velocity is not stated) than the recipe had listed. That was from my experience with longshot and bad recipes from BPI. After reviewing some of the test data on the Low Pressure Group, it appears that spr310's recipe data could be correct, so I withdraw my arguement. His increased felt recoil could just be do to the properties of longshot, which tends to kick harder and make a louder bang than other powders.

About testing loads...If I was making a recipe "from scratch", I would send it to Tom before doing anything. But, I was modifying a recipe that was listed as "safe" in a published manual, and modified it in the conservative direction by either reducing the powder called for or reducing the lead weight loaded. I did learn a lot from the experience.
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

shootingsioux, you asked:
Quote:
How closely did Armbrust and PR results agree? Wow, now what do I do with BPI's data.
The Ambrust and PR data was very comparable. The velocites were a dead match for both loads. The velocities were a little higher on one load and a little lower on the other...within 500 psi. They both provide good data.

As for what to do with BPI data, I would say If you have a favorite load from a BPI source, send it to Tom to have it tested. That is what I plan to do.
spr310
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:36 pm  Reply with quote

Bowbuilder. I'm going to join the low pressure group. Another set of recipes to compare. The velocity on that load was 1237fps. I have small loads that are over 1300fps and I don't fell them like I did that one. Like you say it's probably the longshot powder.