16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  spreader loads
RWB
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:20 pm  Reply with quote

What do most of you to make spreader loads? I recall reading 6 or 7 years ago about inserting a 3/4" section of soda straw into the shot. Did that work. or was it some one's idea of a joke?
Samuel_Hoggson
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

No, no joke. It works, though nowhere as well as spredder disc inserts. I find that I can get about one nominal choke opening with straws........but not in all guns. You'll need to pattern.

Sam

Hootch
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

Poly wad spred-R inserts work well. So does Ballistic Products Inc's Spreader-X inserts. I have patterned both in different loads and cannot make a distinction between the two inserts. I patterned #7's and 5 1/2's.

I have also shot #8's with both and while never patterning them, I cannot tell any difference shooting clays in back yard.

There have been several threads on this topic. Take a look back at those.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:14 pm  Reply with quote

I've also tried both. I've found the Poly wad spreader gives much more uniform, dependable results if (and this is important) it is loaded right and with the correct wads as the inventor has instructed us to.

The X type inserts are probably more forgiving of shallow shot cups. This explains why one componant company who sells a lot of Gualandi wads is big on them. However, they give something up in effectiveness according to my experience.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:27 am  Reply with quote

That was Great Mike. Laughing
I have been using the Polywad insert for years, with the Gualandi wads, and have real good luck with them.
Tijeras_Slim
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:13 am  Reply with quote

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5701

I found this useful, particularly after some mixed results with spreader loads.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:55 am  Reply with quote

There is no secret. simply go to the Polywad website and punch up inserts. The illustration of the shell shows how it is done in an easy to see, clear manner. also see below.

Spred-R Inserts

Polywad offers Spred-R components for handloading. The Spred-R insert is a plastic wad that resembles a thumbtack, with a round disk top and a post. It is loaded in the top of a shotshell after the shot is dropped, just prior to crimping. Handloaders may use the components (hull, wad, powder) that they normally load by reducing the shot charge by 1/8 Oz. and adding the Spred-R Insert. This little insert allows handloaders to achieve the same great patterns as our manufactured Spred-R shotshells. The Spred-R insert comes in 12, 16, and 20/28 gauge sizes. Polywad includes instructions and tested load data with each order of Spred-R inserts.

Our 12 Ga. 3-Hole version of the Spred-R Insert was created to “fill in” the center of patterns when using pure cylinder or slightly constricted “skeet” chokes. With small shot (8s or 9s), many handloaders prefer this version. There is no significant difference in overall pattern diameter compared to our Solid Disk 12 Ga. Insert.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My factory sealed bags all had the instructions right in them. I'm also certain Jay Menefee will be more than glad to send an extra sheet to anyone who needs it. Plus, I've posted the recommended technique several times. Anyone is free to check my back posts on the matter. I'm certain the inserts will work to perfection if the simple instructions that come in the bags are followed.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:20 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes