16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Federal Hull Basewad
mike campbell
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:42 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Any number of reloading manuals do make references to this, Lyman comes to mind. Lyman warns you about damaged and missing basewads.

I have had a 12ga. shell with a paperbased wad, that actually fell out, after I pulled it from the chamber. The shell did have a number of reloads fired in it.

You can hardly blow-up a modern barrel any other way, unless you have a barrel obstruction. A loose basewad is a great way to obstruct a barrel. Have I had it happen? No, but, but there is a 12 gauge trap gun on the wall of a local trap club with a peeled back barrel, to prove it happens.

Why tell a guy to go ahead and risk his safety for a few hulls, that he admits were water damaged.

It never ceases to amaze me, how many guys risk a problem over a few cents.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:25 pm  Reply with quote

woodcock wrote:
I do understand your concern gg, and frankly your admonition does not "go down hard"...it does in fact suggest realistic concern for safety All this business about basewads is strictly experimental as far as I'm concerned and I would not expose others to my 'experiments'................particularly as I have my own range.

I would mention to you however that your attention to the details of, at least what I posted, do not seem to coincide with your vigilance toward the behavior of those whom you will likely never see nor shoot with. Both my posts stated clearly that my intention was to discard hulls that had been subjected to moisture.

Clearly you often have some good information and I suspect many of us have benefitted from some of it but at times you seem determined to be unpleasant.

WC, I think anyone who supports or advances such a risky reloading practice as this one is an irresponsible individual and a fool. To do it on a nationally read web site is far worse. It borders on being criminally irresponsible and comes off as being just plain pigheadedly stupid. It shows a serious lack of social conscience IMO.

Most of us who reload and who have bothered to read our manuals have repeatedly been warned against this practice by many a professional expert. Some of us have witnessed or even experienced the consequences of not following that sound and historically supported advise.

If I sound unpleasant in addressing the folks who wish to advance this irresponsible foolishness, then so be it. I think the consequences and potential harm and damage which can come from putting stock in such a stupidly dangereous opinion is far more unpleasant.

Topics about gun and reloading safety can't always be discussed politely when it involves communicating with an irresponsible, pigheaded fool who obviously does not care how many impressionable folks might be taking it in. I am doing all I can so show these clowns for what they are. It is not much fun, but I do believe it necessary. I'm not alone here either.

And Mike, I don't think you are not nearly as ignorant or stupid as you are pretending to be here. I doubt like hell you'd stick a shell in your own gun and fire it if you thought there is even a small chance you'd destroy the gun or hurt yourself or someone else. I think you are simply chain yanking out of some mean spirited sick personal need. I suggest you think it over. This venue ain't about you or me. There are a whole bunch of other folks involved. Try thinking about them a bit. If you want to blow of at me or yank my chain, use the PM or pick a topic that does not involve gun and reloading safety. Thanks.
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:41 pm  Reply with quote

Well said, 16gaugeguy!!
mike campbell
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:01 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:48 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

You might read Lyman 4th Edition Shotshell Reloading Handbook, on page 28. There is a whole page of discussion on basewad deterioration and the possible dangers they present. It is very interesting reading.
woodcock
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:40 am  Reply with quote

16gg it appears that your reading comprehension is questionable---as are your manners. You certainly may have your opinion on many matters but name calling, whether you mean me or others is in poor taste.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:28 pm  Reply with quote

Woodcock, I've not intentionally coupled any names to my derogatories including yours. I've said "anyone" to cover it. I mean just what I say. I've no intention of backing off here either.

I also do not belief you support this idea of using a shell past its historically established safe useful life. I also think you are aware of the numerous warnings against the practice found in just about every well written reloading manual ever printed. At least I hope you are.

I did say originally that we should not have to go back and pay the price our predecessors did to learn the wisdom they are passing on to us. However, if you've not read a good reloading manual or two on this matter, I strongly suggest you do so.

You should also be aware that someone else started escalating the unpeasantries by addressing me personally and proclaiming that I was full of nonsense or words to that effect for repeating the warning not to do this. This individual claims he regularly follows this unsafe practice, and does not care who says it is risky. He thinks I'm a fool or a liar or both for warning folks I guess. I guess he thinks the folks who wrote the manuals where I learned of the danger are too. I also guess he thinks all the others who have witnessed against this practice are too.

To me, any person who is willing to advocate or perform a stupidly dangerous belief or practice and who would willingly risk his own or anyone else's well being to save a few cents has the worst manners imaginable. If you find this offensive, well that is too bad. I'd rather sound offensive and perhaps spare folks from grief, than politely stand by and let it happen. Calling a pigheaded fool as much in this matter is the right thing to do here. It is not polite. It is the truth. I think you know it too. It certainly got your attention. That is my objective. I have managed to cut right through all the manure to get to the point. Since I think I've gotten there, I will now take a break and let the rest of you folks carry on. Wink

"All it takes for evil to win is for good men to do nothing." I forget who said this right now. He was and is dead on the money.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:00 pm  Reply with quote

After 7 weeks of kicking this subject around I decided to go to the authority on Federal Shot Shell hulls and as a couple of simple question. Below are my questions and Federal Cartridge Companies responses. I have edited the e-mail for privacy purposed.

Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 11:52 AM
To:
Subject: RE: Shot shell reloading concern

No we have not

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 3:44 PM
To: Prodserv

Thank you for your quick response, however, you did not answer one of my questions which is “Have you ever had a report of basewad separation causing damage to a firearm?” Can you please respond?

I would like a copy of your reloading pamphlet.

My mailing address is:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 11:52 AM
To:

We wouldn’t recommend the use of any hull that has been contaminated with water.

The average use of the hulls would be 4- 8 reloads on average, maybe more.

If you can supply us with your mailing address we will be happy to send you a reloading pamphlet.

To: Prodserv
Subject: Shot shell reloading concern

I have reloaded your shotgun hulls for many years without incident, however, recently the safety of reloading your shot shell hulls have come into question because of the use of the paper basewad in some of your hulls.

Can you provide me with your recommendation for loading Federal Hulls with the paper base wad in particular:

The number of times a hull may safely be reloaded before the basewad starts to deteriorate or otherwise become’s unusable?

Cautions about using hulls that have become wet and subsequently been thoroughly dried?

Have you ever had a report of basewad separation causing damage to a firearm?

Thank you for your time.

Bottom Line Federal does not recommend reloading hulls that have become wet, Average loadings to be expected 4 - 8 perhaps more, Federal Cartridge Company has received no reports of any guns being damaged or destroyed from base wads lodged in the barrels.
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

Nice approach twice barrel. After wading through the thread it sound like Federal was just stating the facts which the thread covered. They just did it clearly without emotional tyraids. I appreciate your efforts on our behalf.
Best,
Ron
Spike McQuail
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:48 am  Reply with quote

16 gauge guy makes the best point. If it looks, smells, feels, sounds or tastes like it might be a bad shell it should be safely discarded, not reloaded much less fired. The few cents saved ain't worth the aggravation or injury.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:00 am  Reply with quote

Spike McQuail wrote:
16 gauge guy makes the best point. If it looks, smells, feels, sounds or tastes like it might be a bad shell it should be safely discarded, not reloaded much less fired. The few cents saved ain't worth the aggravation or injury.

Unfortunately MR 16gg provides no empirical proof to support his now outed exaggerated claims. I doubt that I will load many Federal or Estate hulls so this argument is some what moot to me, however, I just abhor someone trying to present personal opinion. old wives tails and "what I once heard someone say at the gun club" as absolute fact and cover his exaggerated claims in the cloak of "Safety". I guess my point here is that if you are in doubt ask someone who is a true expert, in this case the manufacturer for their thoughts. After all they have much more at stake than any self appointed expert who in fact is an armchair nimrod with a computer when it comes to determining the safe use of their product which their livelihood is based.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:57 am  Reply with quote

I'm waiting for a reply from the Alliant reloading team to the same question above. I will post it once I get it here. In the mean time, I suggest anyone who wants to learn more about this topic refer to the 1993 edition of Ed Matunas' shotgun reloading manual. Go to pages 50-52 and read about it in the chapter that covers shotgun shells. I will try to have it scanned and will post it here ASAP.

I am also aware of a similar warnings regarding polyformed shells like the Federal hull in the Lyman manuals. I no longer have my old Lyman manual. I gave it to a new reloader over 10 years ago to help him get started safely. If anyone here has a copy and can scan and post the topic here, I'd really appreciate it.

I also really question the knowledge or comprehension behind the reply from Federal Cartridge. Federal uses several types of hulls for their shells including compression formed one piece hulls and polyformed huls that use either a rolled paper base wad or a plastic one. It would be all too easy for one of their people to misinterpret the question regarding this particular 16 ga hull. Beyond that, I question the wisdom of anyone within Federal answering the question as difinitively as it seems to have been. Every ammo manufacturing company I know of as a legal department or advisary group who issue strict guidelines on how and when to answer a question like this. The reasons the matter is handled this way is entirely obvious.

Federal is owned by Alliant. I think it would have been wiser to pass the question to the folks who research and test all the componants listed in the various Alliant reloading guides for a more difinitive answer. Hopefully, we shall see what they have to say on this matter within a few days. In the mean time, I suggest we all suspend our doubts, beliefs, and opinions until we can compile several expert sources of info on this matter. Then maybe we can put it to rest once and for all.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:50 am  Reply with quote

16GG why don't you just admit it. Your position is indefensible.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:20 am  Reply with quote

Obviously TB, you are not getting it. This is not a matter of "my position" or "your position" or "anyone's position". It is a matter of your, my, and any other reloader's and shotgunner's safety. If you would be so kind as to look into and read the text written by Ed Matunas, a respected and PUBLISHED expert, you might realize I'm citing an expert's advice given as an italixed warning regarding this matter. Once you do that, and also look into the same subject in several other published shotshell reloading manuals, you might want to change your own position.

Until then, why don't we agree to disagree and wait for more published, documented expert testimony on this subject. I hope anyone who is reading this discussion does the same before taking your or my position or any other person's non-expert opinion as sound. I believe there are far more qualified opinions available. I will put my own trust in them.