16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Federal Hull Basewad
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

Did he say how he wanted them wetted? Laughing In all seriousness, consider the issue here and what could be at stake. This is not a discussion about a gun choice or some other personal choice issue, it is about reloading and shooting safety. I'd like to follow it through as far as we can. So I'd at least like to have the opportunity to see what Alliant might say. I'd also like to hear from Tom Armbrust himself as well.

However, I do agree the innuendos, personal shots, and the verbal sniping should stop before things really turn nasty, so I will withdraw until I hear from Alliant. I will then post their response, end my involvement, and let the interested members draw their own conclusions from the professional proofs and guidelines given.
Dr. David Dabaco
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

In defense of 16gaugeguy's warning about this hull (and believe me, this is tough to do... Wink) I would like to point out that Tom's article was designed to answer the question; "after repeated reloads, would reduced crimp strength and hull deterioration become a problem, playing hob with velocity and pressure causing excessive variations, possibly weakening target breaking ability due to pattern reduction.".

Tom's tests and paper was not designed to test for the safety or reliability of multiple hull re-loadings, but rather the accuracy the re-loaded hull .

What strikes me as interesting about Tom's test is, in regards to Federal's plastic paperbase hull, that "Slight paper base wad cracking was visible after the 6th loading with tiny base wad particles being torn loose".

The question for me is if parts of the base wad is being torn loose on the 6th reloading, what is the chance that in one shell the entire base wad may come loose? Granted, we are talking about a small possibility and even greater probability that a base wad may end up in the barrel of a gun, ending in a catastrophic failure. Your chance of getting into an auto accident may be greater, but why take the chance if you don't have to.

While 16gaugeguy's two re-loadings rule may seem a bit extreme, pushing a re-loaded shell beyond 6 re-loadings after the paper base wad is deteriorating seems, to me, to be not a very good idea.
spr310
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:17 pm  Reply with quote

I didn't want to get into this except asking 16 gauge guy if he has something personnal against Federal hulls. There are many hulls out there with sepaerate basewads and also paper basewads. It started out asking about wett hulls, everybody agreed, throw them away. Now we are into how many times befor you blow your reciever up and injure the guy standing next to you. Nobody has said they would load beyond what they would consider afe. Myself I prefer in the 16 gauge the federal hull or the winchester polyformed. That does not mean I am going to reload untill it is unsafe. I took a federal hull apart that was reloaded three times. Tried to get the basewad loose. I couldn't. This insituation that any of us that reload using federal hulls are a bunch of ninnies is wrong. I just trded away a bunch of remongtons, after one reload they look like hell. They splitt and the area around the crimp is terrible. I've got a bunch of old 12 gauge peters hulls with the paper basewads I'm getting ready to reload. Heck I've got activ hulls I'm reloading for my old LC Smith. Of coarse they're one piece. Give us ninnies a break and go onto something else.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Once fired paper base wad Federal hulls which have never gotten wet are a fine hull to reload if you don't try to stretch the number times you reload them past two times. If there is evidence the paper base wad hulls got wet, I'd strongly advise not using them. The wads can swell, then shrink back to a smaller than original size often as not. Plus, the metal bases on basic Federal hulls of this type are no longer brass, but steel. Rust will weaken them inside as well where it is hard to see the damage. The combination of a loose base wad and a corroded metal base is a recipe for disaster.

This advise I've printed goes back to before most of us were born. The old timers who depended on this type of hull already learned the dangers of using water damaged paper based hulls or used up ones and have warned us not to. Why relearn what they did the hard way. Trust their advice and avoid paying the price. The cost of replacing the questionable hulls or ones that have been reloaded twice is far cheaper than the potential consequences of a burst gun barrel. Thanks for listening.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:39 pm  Reply with quote

SMILING :

Folks its real simple .

If one checks the bore each and everytime after the shot for an obstruction then by all means shoot em till they are beyond shooting .

If one does not check the bore EACH AND EVERY TIME then error on the side of caution and start checking your bore after the shot when the possibility exist for a failure to occur .

And Yes I have seen a paper base wad come loose and lodge in a bore back in the 80's , only seen it once and never had it happen to myself , but it does occur thankfully just not very often .

Also seen a Plastic Base Wad come loose and traverse the bore so that can happen as well , have seen that a couple of times .

I have also had the Peter's Blue Magic seperate and shoot the tube out of the bore on several occasions and that happend to myself numerous times , love the case , just sure didn't like the tube coming apart like that so I let that hull go bye bye for my shooting .

Regards Charles
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:10 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Charles. Simple is good!!!
Ron