16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Rem. SP
salter16
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:57 am  Reply with quote

I'm sure this question has come up before, but can someone please tell me if the Rem. Game Load hulls are the same as the Rem. SP hulls listed in the Sapp manual?

I've always shot factory 1 1/8 oz. loads. Mostly dove and a few clays. I see a lot of folks talking about reloading the 1 oz. loads. What are the advantages to the 1 oz. load over the 1 1/8 oz.?

Thanks!
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:44 am  Reply with quote

That is a hard one to answer. Remington has been making 16 ga. polyformed plastic hulls since the 1960's. They have been using the SP moniker for about as long. The age of the reloading data you are referring to also comes into play. I'll try to answer your question based on the type of base wad your present hulls have.

If the hull has a plastic base wad and takes the 209 sized primer, it is the most recent hull type Remington makes. They use this most recent design for all their 16 gauge ammo. The hull color or designation on the box makes no difference. Presently, they use a green and a black hull. The green hull has a taller metal rim, but the interior of either are identical and can safely be interchanged for all safe reloading recipes.

The older Remington 16 ga hulls with paper or fiber base wads take the discontinued obsolete and smaller sized 57* primers. I recommend you toss any of these hull types or save them as relics. They are all at least 25 yeaers old. So are any of the obsolete 57* primers. Some folks still find both componants and do reload them. However, unless a person is entirely familiar with both the hulls and the primers, it is not a good idea.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:54 am  Reply with quote

salter16 wrote:
What are the advantages to the 1 oz. load over the 1 1/8 oz.?

Thanks!

Everything else being equal less recoil and wear and tear on your gun and shoulder. Some folks find the patterns of lighter loads, even down to 3/4 ounce are better than the heavier loads.