16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Newbie needs help...
Paul Skvorc
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:31 pm  Reply with quote

Hello folks, a newbie here. I joined (paid the life-time dues) the 16 ga Society and got the really spiffy little 16 ga Society bag. Thanks! However, what I woudl really rather have is all the low pressure load data that is constantly referred to. I haven't got a clue on how I'm supposed to access that resource. Also I read about sending loads off to be "tested" by some "official" group. Again, I am completely at a loss as to how this resource is accessed.

I'm not a computer novice by any means, and I have searched this site far and wide and simply can't find any information about accessing the 16 Ga Society's resources after becoming a paid member. Could someone help me out here. I fully expect to be completely embarrassed when it is pointed out to me.

Thanks,
Paul
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:51 pm  Reply with quote

Paul: Go to the top of this forum and read the first "announcement" about the low pressure reloading group. Contact Russ. It cost $20.00 which is a steal for 100's of 16ga. loads. Many, but by no means all are, low pressure. In the meantime, tell us what type of load you are looking for.

Matt
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:58 am  Reply with quote

[quote="Paul Skvorc"]Also I read about sending loads off to be "tested" by some "official" group.
Thanks,
Paul[/quote]

Welcome Paul, look at this thread for load testing info;

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6299

Any Ptarmigan up there? If so; do you hunt them? I have never and would like to hear from a local what style of hunting is used for them. Walk-up? Use a dog? Difficult bird?

Thanks, Mike

Paul Skvorc
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:21 am  Reply with quote

CitoriFeather16 wrote:
Paul: Go to the top of this forum and read the first "announcement" about the low pressure reloading group. Contact Russ. It cost $20.00 which is a steal for 100's of 16ga. loads. Many, but by no means all are, low pressure. In the meantime, tell us what type of load you are looking for.

Matt

Do I understand correctly, that I need to send Russ $20 in addition to the $34 I have already sent?

Do I understand correctly that there is no way to access the load information other than to have Russ send it to me in hardcopy?

I'm looking for low pressure loads <7,500 PSI for the 16 for my upland bird (grouse and ptarmigan) hunting.

Putz463 - Thanks for the URL.

Any Ptarmigan up there? You might say that. Wink

If so; do you hunt them? Yup.

I have never and would like to hear from a local what style of hunting is used for them.

Walk-up? Mostly.

Use a dog? I don't, and few do, but more are every season.

Difficult bird? About the same as chukar. Most of the time you have to climb to get to ptarmigan. In the winter, you can snowmachine to the tops of wind-blown knobs and usually find a flock or two. Snowshoes are required for most winter hunting. I'll post a picture or two later.

Thanks,
Paul

Last edited by Paul Skvorc on Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:28 am  Reply with quote

Yes, the $20.00 is additional and well worth it. The money goes into a fund to cover the cost of testing new loads. There are literally hundreds of loads that have been sent in and more are being sent in all the time. Once you join you are welcome to load up something you think you might like and send it to Tom Ambrust for pressure and velocity testing. Russ will send you a hard copy but you will also be able to access the information on line.

Matt
Paul Skvorc
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:58 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, the $20.00 is additional

OK, thanks.

Paul
Paul Skvorc
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:38 am  Reply with quote

Somethign's not right here. The following is a quote form a PM I received from Russ (AKA RWG). Emphasis mine.

Quote:
Membership is open to anyone interested in the 16 ga. We just ask that you not share the data with non-members. We do charge a one time membership fee of $20.00. What do you get? Our spreadsheet of loads, data from other published sources that we have access too and our test sheets showing the actual test results. You will also be on our mailing list and receive new data as its developed. You will also be encourage to help us in the development of new loads for testing. Its a group effort. Last, but not least, you'll get to share in the banter between addicts of the 16 ga.

We do have a chatroom. This chatroom hosts (and delivers) our data and is a place for members to exchange information. Many members like to sell and trade items of interest with other members. Its just a side benefit. We might even create a sales page on the chatroom.

How to join? Simple, just send me a check for $20.00. My address is Russell W. Gray, 3090 Athens Road, Silver Lake, Ohio 44224. Include your e-mail address so I can send you the data. (please clear you inbox -- the data is voluminous! ) It comes in a mixture of MS word, .jpg and/or excel files. Send the check when you can. Once I receive it I'll send out the data.

According to the above, the membership fee INCLUDES the load data.

I gotta say folks, as good as this info may turn out to be, this website ids the single most difficult site I have ever encountered for getting information from. And I'm NOT talking about the load data.

Can SOMEONE PLEASE get this straight!?

Thanks,
Paul
steve voss
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:49 am  Reply with quote

Paul, you are joining two different things. One is the 16 gauge Society. The other is the low-pressure loading group. Most of the low-pressure guys hang out here, but not all.

Two different, but overlapping animals.

HTH, sv

ajaxfjr
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:57 am  Reply with quote

Paul, this might help clear up the confusion, and is how I understand things.

This site.... the 16Gauge society is a chat room for folk who like to exchange information regarding the 16 gauge.

The reloading group is a seperate site that provides (mainly) information about reloading 16gauge shells.

Because this is important to members of the 16 Gauge society the promote the reloading site here.... but they are separate.

If you scour the Amunition and Reloading section of this site you will find some loads... but the reloading site is worth the $20 extra.

Ajax.
Paul Skvorc
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:47 am  Reply with quote

So let me get this straight...

I paid $34 for a lifetime mebership to a free forum so I could get access to load data.

Now that I've paid for a lifetime membership to a free forum, I need to pay $20 more dollars for the load data?

That is NOT my understanding.

Let me make clear what I understood and have done:

1) I REGISTERED - for free - at the 16 ga Society's website for access to THIS forum.

2) I went - based on the "announcements" at the top of this website - to the Low Pressure "site" which was nothing more than a place to pay for "membership".

3) I paid the membership SUPPOSEDLY to the low pressure reloading group.

4) I received a bag in the mail in response to my payment for "lifetime dues". I received NOTHING else. NOTHING. I didn't even receive a note in the box telling me who it was from. I didn't receive a "welcome to the 16 ga Society" note. NOTHING. The only way I knew what the box was for is because the outside of the box had a TINY 16 ga Society logo on it.

5) NOW, in spite of what is clearly stated in RWGs post above about "membership", I need to send another $20 to SOMEBODY so I can finally get the load data that was all I really wanted in the first place.

I don't mind AT ALL paying for the services being offered. However, it is WRONG to lead people to believe that PAYING for memebership in the 16 ga Society gets you the load data when in FACT, it gets you the priviledge of "belonging" to a forum that is FREE. That's misleading AT LEAST - frankly I consider it unethical. Now that I'm a "member" of the 16 ga Society, I guess I get the "honor" of having that little logo under my name when I post here. WooHoo!! And it only cost $34. I feel so blessed.

SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THIS. And I'm not the only one that thinks so.

Paul
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:09 am  Reply with quote

Paul,

As stated, the Low Pressure Group and this site are two seperate entities.

The Low Pressure Group is a Yahoo group, and is run by Russ (RWG) from this sight.

This site (The 16 ga. Society) is just a group who support 16 ga's, and as you stated, the forum is free.

Yes, this confused me terribly at first as well, and it took some digging to figure out what was going on. (I kept going to the reloading section of this forum looking for the low pressure group data.) But, I am a member of the Low Pressure Group now, and not the Society. The LPG is a must for anyone reloading the 16 ga (IMO). Membership to the 16 Ga Society is NOT required to join the Low Pressure Group.

I'm not sure about a hard copy of the LPG load data though. I never received a "Hard copy". What I did get when I joined the LPG was an invitation to join the Yahoo Group (which has all the load data on it), and an email of all the data files from Russ. Load data is added to the group as tests are made.

Hope that helps.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:16 am  Reply with quote

I just clicked on the Join Us link and I don't see anything about getting load data. In fact it seemed quite clear what you got for your 16 GA SOCIETY membership money.

Paul, this is a damn good site. Please take a deep breath or two and calm down. I've seen nothing unethical about this site, ever. That's not a charge that most will take lightly.

Others have explained the situation re memberships well enough above, so I won't belabor that point.
16ga.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:31 am  Reply with quote
Site Admin
Site Admin

12dec08

Gentlemen--

I've sent a PM and asked him to call me. Thanks for all your efforts.

--Doug

Semper Limitae
510wells
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:39 am  Reply with quote

CitoriFeather16 wrote:
Russ will send you a hard copy but you will also be able to access the information on line.

Matt

Matt,

That's not true, Russ won't send hard copy Sad I asked Russ (because I couldn't access it properly online) but never got an answer from him nor the data.

Roi

Tijeras_Slim
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:31 pm  Reply with quote

I didn't have a problem understanding the difference between a paid membership in the 16 ga Society (hence supporting this site) and the low pressure loading group.

And for those who think this site is FREE, that's only because somebody else is paying for it.