16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Rem. wads equivalent to what?
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

My local stores have Rem. 16 wads available. I usually order bp sg16's or Z16's, but it would be nice to be able to buy locally. Are SP 16's equivalent to either of the bp wads?
spr310
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:20 pm  Reply with quote

no
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:59 pm  Reply with quote

R16's availiable?????at a local store?????
putz463
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:49 am  Reply with quote

[quote="UncleDanFan"]My local stores have Rem. 16 wads available. I usually order bp sg16's or Z16's, but it would be nice to be able to buy locally. Are SP 16's equivalent to either of the bp wads?[/quote]

Are they the Rem R16 or SP16? Niether are equivalent to the BPI wads. They are designed to be used in the Rem hull that has tapered walls. Thats why the BPI wads fit so tightly in the Rem hulls and the Rem wads fit so loosely in straight walled hulls. If you're loading RGL hulls they would work just fine. I'm sure a search for past RGL, R16 or SP16 threads will be very helpfull in deciding if those wads would be of any help to you. The SP16 with the petals cut off (brush wad) in a shorty cut back RGL hull work great for me with lead shot but we'll see with the new generation of non-tox shot.
Hope this helped, Mike

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:49 am  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
My local stores have Rem. 16 wads available. I usually order bp sg16's or Z16's, but it would be nice to be able to buy locally. Are SP 16's equivalent to either of the bp wads?

Save yourself some money and order your wads from Graf & Sons.

Gualandi 1621 = BP SG16 and is primarily a 1 ounce or less wad.
Gualandi 1618 = Active G28 and is primarily a 1 1/8th ounce wad.

Graf also is stocking a Cheddite 1 ounce wad. I don't have any data on it but I would suspect it would be pretty close to the GU 1621 in performance.

Where you really save the $s with Grafs is their $4.00 shipping. The biggest drawback is that they are the US distributor for Gualandi and sometimes run out of stock and you have to wait for the next slow boat from Italy to arrive.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

Great info guys, thanks! I mostly reload federal hulls, so it doesn't look like the rems will be of much use to me, thanks to your info. I'll check out Grafs.
TerryS
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:33 pm  Reply with quote

16 gauge tapered hulls????
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:44 am  Reply with quote

[quote="TerryS"]16 gauge tapered hulls????[/quote]

Whopps, maybe I should have wrote; the Rem hulls are SKIVED pretty dramtically. I've measured the mouth wall thickness of several hulls and the average is around 0.020" then down about 1" it's around 0.032" then 0.035" just above the brass. They load like tapered walled hulls for me because anything other than Rem wads get progressively tighter as they get seated deeper in the hull. Makes sense to me why some recipes call for a 20ga wad in these hulls.

Bronco
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:52 am  Reply with quote

TB, I wish Graf's had the 1621's Sad Probably not until Spring. I use them in the 2.5in Cheddite hulls.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:37 am  Reply with quote

Bronco wrote:
TB, I wish Graf's had the 1621's Sad Probably not until Spring. I use them in the 2.5in Cheddite hulls.

Figures. That happened to me two years ago. Graf's ran out and I didn't have wads for four months so I wised up and bought 10K when they became available again. Graf's is now stocking the Clay Buster CBO100-16 Winchester AA clone which has been re-engineered to work better in straight wall hulls. They are a one ounce wad and might work in place of the 1621. If you are roll crimping I have a few and I can give them a try to see how they fit.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:42 am  Reply with quote

I'd advise buying at least one bag of SP16 wads to have them on hand. They have the deepest shot cup of all the available 16 ga. wads. They are very useful for 1-1/8 and 1-1/4 ounce 16 ga loads in the Federal hull. The SP16 wad does a great job of protecting the bigger pellets used in heavier loads well enough to ensure a good killing pattern when you need one.

There is a decent amount of published data for the Federal hull and the SP16 wad as well. That data can be also be used as a loose guideline for loading the same wad in a Fiocchi or Cheddite hull as well. The three hulls all have nearly identical internal capacities.

I've also advised folks to use a small square of polyethylene plastic bag over the SP16 wad base to stop powder migration in the roomier hulls. Doing so does not affect pressures, because the plastic square does not affect the wad or the hull capacity. It weighs nearly nothing and simply takes up the extra room between the interior hull wall and the wad base. It gets blown harmlessly out of the barrel with the wad. What it does do is insure your heavier hunting loads have the power you are counting on to do the heavier work they are designed for--especially after the shells have been banging around in your vest or pocket as you hunt through the rough terrain most upland birds live in.

Nothing is less heartening as a squib load going poop just when the biggest cock bird of your life gets up out of that remote raspberry bush thicket you and the dog have just bled through to put him up. the little plastic square will make sure the shell gives the satisfying and expected kaboom. It will do its job if you do yours and put that killing pattern on the bird.

On the other hand, omitting it will give you a much needed alibi in case you flub the shot and miss. Laughing
Bronco
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:01 am  Reply with quote

TB, Thanks for the offer. When I saw they were out of the 1621's, I bought a couple of bags of Cheddite 1628's. They work fine with an overshot card. Bob
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:13 am  Reply with quote

Bronco wrote:
TB, Thanks for the offer. When I saw they were out of the 1621's, I bought a couple of bags of Cheddite 1628's. They work fine with an overshot card. Bob

What are the dimensions of the Cheddite wad and
what load are you using with it?
Bronco
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:44 am  Reply with quote

TB, I'll measure the wad this evening and get back to you. The hulls are Cheddite 2.5's which come primed with their own primers. 7/8oz of 8's over a lite load of Green Dot. I'll have to check on the charge. Been using this low pressure for the past 3 years in the old doubles and now in the M12's. Just keep adding shot and powder to the MEC. I see no reason to change so I just bought another 8lbs of GreenDot and another 5K Cheddite primers. Bob
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:32 am  Reply with quote

My Cheddite wads measure .671"-.672".