16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  resizing brass
salter16
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

I'm new to reloading and have a MEC 600 Jr. for reloading 16's.

My reloader is new out of the box, and I'm reloading the black RGL shells.

In the first stage the resizer really seems to be taking a lot of brass off the shells...basically flaking all of the gold color off of the brass.

Should I lube the resizer or does this sound normal?

If I need to lube, what should I use?

Just joined the low pressure group. Lot's of great info.

Thanks!
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:14 pm  Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
thunderstick
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:03 am  Reply with quote

I use the same reloader as you and found that the reloaded shells would not fit into the chambers very readily Surprised . I bought the MEC re-sizing tool and re-size every shell with that after having removed the primer. It's an extra couple steps in the reloading process, but I like shells that will chamber ! Wink
salter16
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:37 am  Reply with quote

Thanks! I think I may invest in the MEC resizing tool.
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:15 am  Reply with quote

Salter,
I'm a big fan of the MEC SuperSizer. I've got all the collets now for all the gauges, and it can be adjusted to do some innerestin' sizing operations. Tony has adjusted one to resize 24ga, I've used mine to put a taper crimp on rounds for autoloaders, WELL worthwhile if you plan on getting in to reloading.
Dig around on Ebay, they come up regularly, and the various collets are readily available.
Cheers,
R*2

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHOTGUN-SHELL-SUPERSIZER-MODEL-SS77_W0QQitemZ370126764608QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mec-Supersizer-20-Ga-Collet-and-Pad_W0QQitemZ230314774909QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item230314774909&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570
woodcock
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:47 am  Reply with quote

As chamber size may vary, the bases of some shotshells may be 'fireformed' to sizes not compatabile with all chambers. Certainly the Super sizer is a good and reliable solution to that problem. However, if you are averse to spending the dollars and adding an extra step to your loading routine there is a dry lubricant that will help and will not complicate the situation.
Ballistic Products sells a dry, mica based lubricant that will ease sizing problems when using a ring type re-sizer. Simply dip the base of every 4th or 5th shell in the powder while loading, tap off the excess on the side of the can and you will notice a significant decrease in the effort required to resize your hulls. I have used this method when I load specialty loads on an old 600jr. for decades now and it works very well with no accumulation of lubircant or debris in shotgun chambers.
pumpgun
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:03 pm  Reply with quote

I used to have the same problem, esp. with RGL's. Polishing the inside of the resizing ring cured the problem.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:56 am  Reply with quote

Your problem stems from the shell heads being made of steel and not brass. The Mec 600 Jr was designed when brass was used. It works fine on brass heads. Unfortunately, there are no 16 ga sheels presently made with brass. they are all steel now. Steel is less elastic and harder to size down with a ring sizer. The newer MEC sizing rings have been made a bit tighter to squeeze the steel down more. This explains why the brass wash over the steel is being removed. Some dry graphite powder will ease your resizing difficulties until you get a collet type resizer. The collet resizer is adjustable and far easier to use. The MEC sizemaster and the grabber have one already installed. Perhaps you could trade up. will solve your problem as well.
James
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

I load a lot of 12ga shells with steel heads that have been fired out of many different guns. For re-sizing I use an old MEC case conditioner that uses the same ring re-sizer your 600Jr has. I never have any problems, likely because the sizing ring is very smooth after years of use.

Try polishing the ring as pumpgun mentioned, before spending more money.
spr310
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

I have a MEC 600 made about 1982 and have no problem resizing any hulls. I have a brand new sizing ring from my Lee loadall that I use a go or nogo die and it allways slides on and off with no problems.
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:49 am  Reply with quote

I use a pre '82 Versamec 700 with ring resizer and it never scalps off the brass wash shell head plating.

Ask for help at http://www.mecreloaders.com/AboutMEC/about.asp

Their customer service folks will correct your problem.