16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Hull/Wad Questions
JMS
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

I have a couple of questions that I was hoping to get some feedback on. I've spent some time in the archives on this site researching this stuff, but still would like some clarification if possible.

1) I have a bunch of 16 ga. ACTIV hulls I would like to reload and the recipes call for the discontinued G28 wad. Previous posts on this board suggest that the Gualandi 1816 is the same as the G28. I have a couple of bags of the Gualandi's that I purchased through Precision some time ago - they call them TUWG1816 Super G Mini Wads. I called Precision to see if this was the same wad as the G28, and they told me they didn't think it was. Can anybody set the record straight on this for me?

2) Does anyone have a recipe or two using the B & P Hulls? I was only able to find one load in the Low Pressure spreadsheets, and nothing else through Google searches. Was looking for a 7/8 or 1 oz load at 1200+fps.

3) I have a couple of proven loads that I might like to change a few components on, so would need them tested for pressure. I believe Precision can do this; is their anybody else that you guys use?

Sorry for the long-windedness, but when it comes to matters 16 gauge, I value the collective wisdom of this group over other sources that may be out there.

Thanks in advance.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:59 pm  Reply with quote

Look in the 16gaugeloadersgroup file section for the file titled 16gWadData.XLS it should answer all your questions about what different names retailers market various wads under.

I don't have any data for B&P hulls but if you want to develop some contact Russ Gray after the holidays and he may foot the bill to have Tom Armbrust run some pressure tests if there is enough interest from other group members. If you want to have the shells tested on your own you can contact Tom at (815) 385-0037. It may be wise to give him a call as I have heard that he may have suspended testing until it warms up this Spring due to some zoning issues where he lives.
Hootch
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:59 pm  Reply with quote

IF it were me, I would sack up the ACTIV hulls and throw them in the burn barrel. I tried loading the activ hulls, patterns were horrible, no matter what I tried. I quit trying. Don't even use them to shoot at clays in backyard.

Maybe it was just my guns, or me, or just didn't try the umpteenth load that may have actually worked.
JMS
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

I appreciate the feedback TB and will give your suggestions a try. Hootch, curious about your results with the ACTIV 16 gauge hulls. I have no experience with the 16 ga, however have loaded a ton of ACTIV's in 20 and 12 and get some of the best patterns of any of my reloads in those gauges. I also like the crimps and hull life that you get. I hope that I can find something that works, as I have a large stash of once-fired that I'd hate to have to just dump.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:24 am  Reply with quote

I always thought the Active hulls were made for folks with a MEC 650 as there was no real need to resize them.Hootch don't know why you had so much trouble with them.Never had any in 16 but my best results with the 12 were adjusting my bar to throw a little light -on the shot-and a firm crimp.I would try a slightly slower burning powder to obtain the tighest pattern with this hull Wink
putz463
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:20 am  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard JMS, Lyman 4th edition handbook has 2-3 pages of loads for the Active hull in 2 3/4 & 3" from 7/8 - 1 1/4oz. Sorry I have no experience w/B&P's. Tom and Precision both do testing, I have some 10ga stuff over at Precision right now but the turn around seems to be taking a little more time than I expected. Check out this past thread if you havn't yet....http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6299...for mailing info.

Best of luck in your search, Mike

Hootch
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:18 am  Reply with quote

Don't know why I had problems with them either. Loved reloading them.
Quicker, crimps (at least folds, I wasn't roll crimping then) were far better than any other. Red hulls which were different and lent themselves for easy identification as "brush"loads" or whatever you wanted id'd.

This was the hull that really started me on patterning every load I plant to use. I used them dove hunting one season, couldn't hit my butt with a banjo. Chalked some of it up to typical dove hunting and I hadn't shot gun in 7 months.

Took to shooting some clays in backyard, couldn't hit them either.
So, I shot at a box, and the whole pattern was at least 8" to the right and low about 1-2". I then switched to paper, and results pretty much the same.
Tried different chokes, didn't matter. Then tried different loadings, same. Now I am thinking this gun doesn't shoot where I am pointing it. Wrong, couple of shots with Fed 8's proved other wise.

I never tried loading 12ga with them.

I may still have some hulls around. Will have to look. I have more loading data now, might have to give them a try again, or give them to someone.

-5 degrees here, I will let it warm up before I look for them!
JMS
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:18 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I have the bigger Lyman 4th Edition book, but only a few 1 - 1 1/4 oz ACTIV loads. The "handbook" must be something different than what I have - I'll check into it. Thanks again.
putz463
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:51 am  Reply with quote

[quote="JMS"]Thanks for the replies. I have the bigger Lyman 4th Edition book, but only a few 1 - 1 1/4 oz ACTIV loads. The "handbook" must be something different than what I have - I'll check into it. Thanks again.[/quote]

Time out, my bad, sorry JMS, I was looking into all my 20ga notes, bonehead me. I remember doing some disecting on those hulls to see how they were made and the tapered wall was very obvious in those especially down where the wad gets seated. Got rid of them (20ga) because they were too difficult to work with, they didn't take a roll crimp very well and fewer and fewer wads were fitting. Again, I apologize about the misleading info, Mike

bdicki
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:57 am  Reply with quote

Low pressure group look in files the third list down from the top. It's labeled Will Pennington's Excel spreadsheet - 3. There are 145 loads for the Active and 37 for the B P multi hull. These are mostly 2 3/4 inch loads.