16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Activ hulls
spr310
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:18 pm  Reply with quote

I have a couple of pages of recipes for activ hulls. Is there another hull a person can substitute for an activ hull?
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

No they are unique in their design, construction and interior dimension.
putz463
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:03 am  Reply with quote

[quote="Twice Barrel"]No they are unique in their design, construction and interior dimension.[/quote]

I agree.

Do you have the Lyman reloading handbook? Somewhere in the beggining chapters of the book they have cross section views/drawings of the more popular hulls. It really shows the difference.

old16
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:59 am  Reply with quote

I do have and old Lyman handbook but don't remember if it showed the Active hull. I will do some rummaging and see if I can find It. If I can I will try to put the information on here for it. No promises.

I still have a few cases of the actives. I still load them also, but never had to good of luck with them lasting. I have several bags of 20 ga brand new empty hulls and wads I also load. I've had them seperate on the first load durring cooled weather so I don't shoot them anymore in cold temperatures. I am also very careful in warm temp. and always check the barrel after shooting. Old 16

DanLee
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:06 pm  Reply with quote

The most extensive Activ hull reloading data can be found in the 4th edition of Lyman's reloading handbook. The Activs had more interior volume than any other hull of the same length. I reloaded the 12, 16, and 20 hulls for quite a few years. I liked them, but they were prone to separation after the fourth or fifth reload if Activ wads were used. After that many shots, the interior of the hulls became very rough and pitted; the Activ wads were made of a soft, almost sticky plastic that locked into the hull walls upon firing. Using harder plastic wads and dusting them with Motor Mica cured this tendency. I still use them and wish that someone would bring them back, albeit with a better plastic akin to what Federal uses in their Gold Medals.

Dan
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:02 pm  Reply with quote

Hello
Y'all please look at the Gualandi wads
Look same as the Activ 16 gauge wads

http://www.precisionreloading.com/07pdf/Pages%2010-19.pdf

The TUWG 1816 looks especially like the G-28 activ wad

Enjoy the day
Mike