16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Shotshells for Pheasants
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:33 pm  Reply with quote

Just looking for some feedback on the payloads, shot sizes, and chokes that you folks like to use for pheasants in your 16 gauge guns.

My personal favorites are 1 1/8 oz of #6 lead and .015 of choke.
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

Here in NJ where all the pheasants are stocked I use a RGL in the right barrel with a Skt1 choke tube and a Fiocchi GP #5 in the left barrel with a Skt2 choke tube.

I did get hold of some Fiocchi GP in 6s this year and liked the results a lot. I just can't seem to find them on a regular basis. Got these in a trade. Very Happy

dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:47 pm  Reply with quote

Here in CT I use 1 oz. of #6 and .010 of choke on theses stocked birds.
Rex
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:17 pm  Reply with quote

I grew up on a farm in north-central Kansas in the 40s and early 50s. Dad always used #6 shot and I just followed his lead. Most of the birds I hit are around 30-35 yards so I pattern at that distance.
Rex
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:33 pm  Reply with quote

1oz nickel plated #5's and a modified choke Cool
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:40 pm  Reply with quote

I hunt wild birds and use the Remington Express factory load of 1 1/8 oz. #5 or #6 in a Mod or IC choke in my A-5's and also in a full choke 16 ga. Model 12 pump. When I shoot a 20 ga., 1 oz. of #5's or #6's kills the wild birds just fine.

Golfswithwolves
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:38 pm  Reply with quote

Store-boughten shells for me are Winchester Super X holding 1 1/8 oz. of #6 shot, or I have a stash of 1 oz. Bismuth Cartridge Co. shells for restricted areas. I'm liking modified choke more and more. Handloads I generally try to duplicate the Super X load, and I have come into some Bismuth shot that I will use when needed. Have tried #5 Fiocchi Golden Pheasant shells but don't like them as well as the Winchesters for some reason.

Square Load
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:02 pm  Reply with quote

In my Citori I like 1 1/8oz of hard #6 with an I/C and 1 1/8oz of copper plated #5 with a Mod choke in the top barrel. If I am using a single barrel pump or semi auto I use Mod or Light Mod depending on the gun and load it with the #5 loads. I reload my hunting shells.

I hunt with a GSP so most of my shots are close. I also hunt with the Citori most of the time because of the open choke first barrel for the close shots. The past two years I never killed a bird with the top barrel. Usually when I miss the first shot I also miss the second Rolling Eyes Embarassed Smile

Dennis
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:42 am  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
1oz nickel plated #5's and a modified choke )

+1 #5 Fiocchi Golden Pheasant or Winchester Super X #6. Depends on which gun (Rizzini O\U or Browning BPS) and how far out front the birds are flushing.

jschultz
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:15 am  Reply with quote

Years ago, three friends and I bought a ton each, of shot in sizes cp 7, np 6 and np 5 1/2 and I still have a lifetime supply. My Ic barrel gets an ounce of np #6's and the modified barell gets 1 1/8 oz. of np #5 1/2 np shot. Incidently, the cp and np are not a wash, but the real deal.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:33 am  Reply with quote

I've been using 1 1/8 of 5's in both barrels, which is probably overkill on the right barrel. I agree that 1 1/8 of 6's would be perfect in the right barrel, 5's in the left. I loaded some 1 oz. 5's and found I was crippling birds, so I went to 1 1/8oz. and am dropping them dead like normal. I know some people use 1 oz. 5's effectively, but I'm not sure how. Perhaps my gun just doesn't pattern that load very well.

Having said all that, if I was hunting wild flushing birds at 40+ yards on a regular basis, I'd probably be using a 12ga. with 1 1/4oz. 5's or maybe even 4's.

Last edited by UncleDanFan on Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Hootch
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:33 am  Reply with quote

If buying off the shelf, Federals, 1oz, 1 1/8 if that is all they have. Like the Fiocchi golden pheasant in #5 or #6. If you need non-toxic, the Tungsten Matrix from Kent in #5 or #6 is good.

If reloading, I like to start with #7 shot, (at least in first barrel) then 5 1/2 shot in the second. Later in the year, I usually just go to the 5 1/2 shot. Still get the occasional bird under dog nose, but 5 1/2 will drop them same as #7.
Frank Lopez
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:36 am  Reply with quote

I see that you are from CT, Mark, so I would think that you are up against the same set of circumstances as we are down here on Long Island. With the state released birds that we face, I have found no need for anything more than an ounce of #6s with Sk/M chokes in a double or straight IC in a repeater when hunting over pointing dogs.

Frank
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:52 pm  Reply with quote

I have accumulated a large stash of older Win. and Rem. in 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 #6 and #5 lead shot which I find will do the job. The local game management areas call for non tox, so TM in 1 1/16 or 1 1/4 #5 works fine. The Berettas I use work fine with heavy loads with either Sk/M or IC/IM chokes. The heavy loads are over kill but the shell prices of $3 or $4 a box for lead and $11 and $13 for TM allows me to justify the use. I just need to live long enough to use it all up. I'm sure going to try.
Best,
Ron
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:33 pm  Reply with quote

You are correct Frank, I use one ounce of #6 and .010 of choke at home. I make a yearly trip out to the midwest and for wild birds I like more shot and choke.[/img]