16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  High Speed ---Low Speed SxS Loads ??
PA24
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:56 pm  Reply with quote

High Speed--Low Speed ?? After loading thousands of shotshells for my doubles over the years, it seems that 1050 fps is an optimum load speed with...3/4 & 7/8 oz. lead - no advantage to higher speeds.....so then I tried the same in twice barrels stacked, same results.....better patterns and kills were just as good at the same ranges..? Live Birds and Clay ones.....Opinions ??

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:07 pm  Reply with quote

I load low pressure loads for all my SxS's.
I prefer around 1150 FPS.
Frank Lopez
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:35 am  Reply with quote

Depeds on what you are trying to accomplish. Light loads at low velocities hold together very nicely. However, for something like skeet, they may hold together too tightly. I've found that 1225 to 1250fps delivers the best patterns for skeet in my guns. Yours may vary. the pattern board is the only way to be sure.

Frank
mike campbell
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:46 pm  Reply with quote

. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:24 pm  Reply with quote

Mike,

All of my loads have been tested by Tom, for both PSI and FPS.
I know the FPS will vary with every shot, and so will the PSI.
"Around 1150 FPS" is no different than 1125 to 1175. Wink
I would love to have my loads at 1250 FPS, but it's a little hard to do, and still maintain Low pressure for Damascus guns. 16 and 20 gauge.
I feel quite confident that my loads are fairly consistant, give or take 50 FPS. It's close enough for me. Kills clays and birds, and not my gun or shoulder.

Last edited by Dave Miles on Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
mike campbell
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:46 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
PA24
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:02 pm  Reply with quote

Mike:...

What my meaning was (and I should have posted it)...using a chronograph in my 28" barreled guns, the speed seems to average 1050 with my favorite load...as I change components, obviously so does the speed....but so does the pattern....IN MY GUNS anyway.......so more speed is possible, of course, but it seems the patterns deteriorate.......both in SXS and O/U guns that I have......therefore, the Optimum load speed for my guns is 1050....or let's say 1,000 to 1,050...because I've also tried some lower speeds over the chrono...variation only seems to be +/- 50 f.p.s....for a maximum on the high side...usually 10 FPS if I measure each load with the RCBS electronic scale....
Thanks for your input....! So I guess, the real question would be....for those who chrono and pattern their guns, does velocity deteriorate the patterns in your experience...??.....note: 6, 7, 7.5, 8, 8.5 shot....all tested. I guess you stated that more speed, i.e. 1200 or so, was more consistent for you...so that would be your answer....thanks...

BRGDS,

Last edited by PA24 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:23 pm  Reply with quote

I hope you all understand that Chronograph velocities are very hard to nail down, unless you have reference ammunition. With out good reference ammo you have NO way of accurately setting up a chronograph of any type. Barrel length, degree of choke, ambient temperature etc. all have an affect on velocities. So at best any figures that you see on the chronograph are just an about velocity not absolute velocity. As long as you have the correct shot size for the job and throw the stuff 1,100 fps and faster you will get the job done. When looking at the chronograph use it to determine uniformity of the load not absolute velocities.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total
greg
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:38 pm  Reply with quote

Least we forget shot string plays such a " important" role. What grouse hunter has not inspected his bird when cleaning only to find a few hits, when we knows at the distance shot there should have been more hits. He knows his "static pattern" and has a fair idea of how many hits he expects on a bird at a given range, yet he finds more or less hits on the actual bird when cleaning. The speed of the bird ,the angle of flight and the shot string all come into play. Your shooting style will take advantage or disadvantage of the shot string which is effected by the velocity of the shot.
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

I don't think the dead Bird can tell the difference between 1050FPS and 1200FPS. Wink

It's the shot-to-shot consistancy and SD that I'm looking for.

I used my chronograph to test some Brass shells loads with my Winchester 97/16 last week.
For factory 16 game loads I have always liked the WW 16 SuperX better than the Remington RGL's.
I had some WW Super X loads with me, and when finished with the other test, Rifle, revolver and the brass SG loads put those WW super X's across the chrony.

Well it was the lowest Standard Diviation I have ever recorded with my Chronograph. And below are the results:

Shot # 1 1192FPS
Shot # 2 1189FPS
Shot # 3 1191FPS
Shot # 4 1196FPS
Shot # 5 1192FPS

Average: 1192FPS
Extreme Spread 7FPS

Standard Division 2

Now I know why I prefer the WW Super X. Very Happy
Hootch
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:21 pm  Reply with quote

I have stated before, I like high velocity. The higher the better. I do not hunt with anything less than 1300fps. That is my minimum. 1400 is even better.

I pattern the loads I intend to use, I have never seen a load's pattern decrease in uniformity or spread by the higher velocities.

I am not using damascus barrels either, different story, if I were, I would load them to the highest velocity I could for the gun!

I hate crippled birds, one thing I can control, is velocity. The higher the velocity the greater the energy and resultant penetration. All this is moot if I shoot poorly.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
I learned that to get something useful out of handloading for performance I need to focus on a narrow goal....like I want x velocity with y ounces of #z size shot...never mind how I decided that would be good .

Excellent advice Mike.

Being a Lefever damascus shooter (although the Lefever manual does state that all grades of Lefevers are designed for both black powder and nitro loads), my goals are pretty narrow: Being mostly a chukar/hun and pheasant hunter, I want 1250 fps at 7-8k psi with 6's and 7 1/2's using 2.5" roll crimped paper hulls. I've been using Longshot with great results in the field, the patterning board, and the skeet range, and will send my loads to Tom for testing in the Spring. I'm also looking for similar results with 1 1/8 oz. roll crimped loads. I just bought a vintage roll crimper and I love the consistency!

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
mike campbell
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Cowboomer16
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:10 pm  Reply with quote

PA-24 , I would be interested in Knowing your Formula for these calcualtions in the Powder charge an what powder your shooting , an especialy WHERE you can find 7/8 oz shot cups , I looked for 3 days on the net and finaly found only 1 1/8 oz cups an had to buy 1000 of them to get em , Thanks T