16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  High Speed ---Low Speed SxS Loads ??
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:17 pm  Reply with quote

Shot string isn't a product of velocity, it has more to do with the roundness of the shot and the distance that it travels.
On a skeet field shot string plays almost no part, from post 4 if you break the target at the stake (21 yards) you might, with real poor quality shot have a 1 foot shot string. Shot string really has no effect until you get over 35 yards. and then if you could see the pattern it would look like a funnel flying spout first. with the shot string being well outside the working 20" core of the pattern. With the working 20" core leading the whole shot charge.
PA24
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:10 pm  Reply with quote

Cowboomer:

I'm using the AA 16 Claybuster Repro wad which is a 1 oz to 1 1/8 oz cup....I put a "cheereo" in the bottom which fills it just right with 7/8 oz........then a felt 24 ga overshot wad, which allows for VERY NICE crimps....Cheddite 2.5" hulls......using Unique for powder.......years & years using Unique....so I guess I like it by now...!!

These wads can be purchased online from Graf & Sons.....

Thanks to all you guys for your opinions and input, very good thread and info thanks to all you guys.....

Best Regards

Cowboomer16
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:37 am  Reply with quote

I use Unique as well , I like the cherrio I dee , cool , I use 13.2 grains of unique according to the bushing I selected for my loader , it seem alot better on the recoil that the Standard 15.3 they recomended for 1185 fps ,I would still like to lighten it up a bit though , Just knocking over sillouets with it I havent been able to hunt for many years , T

onefunzr2
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:13 am  Reply with quote

The skyscreens of chronographs such as my Oehler 43 and the Chrony, Pact etc., were never designed to measure shot strings. They are for a single projectile.

Here is what Dr. Ken Oehler has to say about the matter:

"The (chronograph) system can be used for shotshells. It reliably measures the velocity of the front pellets in the shot string. These velocities are typically 2-5% higher than factory measured velocities. The factory systems, also made by Oehler, use inductance sensing coils to measure the velocity of the large clump of shot at the back end of the shot column. The first screen should be placed 3 to 4 feet from the muzzle. You will get the most consistent and accurate results if you use the most open choke available."

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:12 pm  Reply with quote

Cowboomer16 wrote:
I use Unique as well , I like the cherrio I dee , cool , I use 13.2 grains of unique according to the bushing I selected for my loader , it seem alot better on the recoil that the Standard 15.3 they recomended for 1185 fps ,I would still like to lighten it up a bit though , Just knocking over sillouets with it I havent been able to hunt for many years , T

Cowbooner if you want to lighten up your recoil drop back to a 3/4 ounce shot charge. It will reduce your recoil and increase your velocity a bit but you will probably have to add another Cheerio for filler but who cares Cheerios are cheap.
Cowboomer16
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

I may do that , I idd some Black powder substitue loading awhile back but more of the pellets bounced back than penitrated the wood I guess i didnt have it loaded heavy enough or compresed enough , who knows , T

PA24
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:00 pm  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel is dead on ! It is the weight of the ejecta that you push out which creates the recoil....as several have mentioned.....

DogChaser37 is the most experienced on that subject as that was once his job !

Rolling Eyes

Cowboomer16
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:16 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the input , I will lighten up on the pellets then , I jut didnt find any cups other than 1 1/8 oz never occured to me to put a filler in it , o well I guess my Ithica can handle it it is certianly a joy to shoot , T

PA24
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:56 pm  Reply with quote

I like your little sig line picture there "T".....I wish our border patrol looked like that !!!!

Is that double gun a box lock Ithaca...??

Cowboomer16
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

Yep its an Ithica Flues made 1909 , according to the serial No , Purdy Damascus barrels chambered 2 3/4 in , I load pretty light for it for the cowboy shooting , it is a real dream to shoot , tight as the day it was made , it has had alot of refinnishing on the stock though , but its pretty good for a 100 year old gun , Thanks T

Dave Esau
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:19 pm  Reply with quote

I think if you start out slower than say 1200, you might want to remember that most loads loose 50% of there velosity somewhere around 20yds. I know that, as for myself, it makes leading those 35 to 40yd. crossers correctly real hard.

Cowboomer16
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:25 pm  Reply with quote

Yea but what i do in the action shootin is pretty stationary , , If i were hunting I would use a different load , as well as a different gun , this old 16 in my hand was made 1909 according to its serial no . tight as the day it was made but the gunsmith's I took it to said it was ok to shoot light stuff in it but not anything over 1200 fps , Thanks T

PA24
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:43 pm  Reply with quote

You are right there boomer.......the 1200 FPS loads are called "wood crackers"..."stock splitters" and so on......that's why so many old doubles have cracked wood.............most of the factory loads are all 1200 + and that is just too much for the old doubles.........

Now, in my A-5's I shoot the hotter stuff of course, this is pertinent to old doubles only.....!!!

Best Regards,

mike campbell
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:37 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
PA24
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:51 pm  Reply with quote

To each his own.....that's why you have Ford and Chevy....!

Whatever blows your dress.....I would not put anything hot in my LC's....just not worth the chance and the birds don't know the diff.....they fall out of the sky just the same as if I was shooting my Baretta's......with 1250 stuff...

Matter of choice I suppose ??

Good Luck,