16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  FS: NEW IN BOX Citori 16ga SUPERLIGHT 28" invectors
mattlaird
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

Very rare to find NIB citori 16 superlight 28" invectors. never been assembled and still in factory grease. nice wood. these are much better than the featherlight version and browning will not make any more of these. $1800

bowbuilder
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:45 pm  Reply with quote

What makes these "much better than the featherlight version"? Just curious...is it the English style stock? or are these not prone to the firing problems the Lightning Feathers had?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:06 pm  Reply with quote

Alloy break opens are much more subject to wear and tear than steel framed break opens. The alloy receivers must handle the same stress, wear, and ignition forces the traditional steel receiver does.

It is the stress of the ignition forces that wear on a break open much more so than on a pump or autoloader. The breakopen barrels are hinged to the frame or receiver. The ignition forces tend to force the barrel down and away from the breech face. Ignition forces are directed more in line in an pump or autoloader and have less mechanical advantage on the system. This is why less stoutly built break opens develop end shake and why the barrels eventually will go off face.

This might beg the question of why then do gun makers use alloy for autoloaders and pumps with complete success. The answer is because all the alloy receivers of the modern pump and auto designs currently being made merely hold the barrel and bolt in alignment with the trigger group. The bolt locks up directly into the steel barrel, so the receiver is never subjected to the ignition forces generated by firing the gun. Except for being more subject to exterior wear and dings, a well designed repeater with an alloy receiver should last as long as a good steel framed repeater. Most will do exactly that.
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

So how is the Superlight made to be a lighter gun? Is metal removed from various places in the receiver, similar to how the A-5 sweet 16 was lightened by removing metal here and there?

How do the weights of the Superlight compare to a Lightning Feather, assuming the same barrel length?

Sorry for all the questions, I just have no experience with a Superlight. I am familiar with the Lightning Feather, as I have one in a 12 ga.
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:32 am  Reply with quote

mattlaird wrote:
Very rare to find NIB citori 16 superlight 28" invectors...and browning will not make any more of these.

How do you know this to be true? Did you get a memo from Browning corporate?

AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:37 am  Reply with quote

The Citori Feather series are upland game guns with aluminum actions. I have a Superlite Feather in twelve gauge that weighs 6pounds 2oz and is an excellent gun for dog-pointed Bobwhite. I wouldn't want to shoot 20,000 rounds through it at clays because of the recoil but it is certainly strong enough for many bird-seasons worth of 1-1/8 oz 1200 fps game loads - and will outlast me without going off-face.

Another reason for guns going off-face is pin and hook wear. Grease and grit make lapping compound and if the grease/grit isn't cleaned off and replaced with fresh clean lubricant it is easy to wear a couple thousandths off of the metal. I have a Browning Superposed that my Dad gave me in the early 80s. It was brand new when I got it and it has gone off-face even though it has only had a few cases of standard 3 dram 1-1/8oz loads. Superposeds are relatively difficult to disassemble and I didn't know to change the grease so-to-speak. I also hunted with it 18 years in a very dusty enviroment.

A dump truck is built a lot stronger than a Porsche but that doesn't make it better, just better for hauling heavy loads.

Best,

Mike

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:52 am  Reply with quote

bowbuilder wrote:
So how is the Superlight made to be a lighter gun? Is metal removed from various places in the receiver, similar to how the A-5 sweet 16 was lightened by removing metal here and there?

How do the weights of the Superlight compare to a Lightning Feather, assuming the same barrel length?

Sorry for all the questions, I just have no experience with a Superlight. I am familiar with the Lightning Feather, as I have one in a 12 ga.

Let me say right off that between the two all steel models, we are coming damned close to splitting hairs over any practical differences. The steel framed Lightning and Superlight 16 ga models of the same barrel length weigh almost the same. There is no difference in how the barrel and receivers are made. The Superlight is generally thought to weigh slightly less than the Lightning, because the stock and forend are a bit trimmer. However, the actual density of the wood itself can affect the weight. So I'd not automatically assume a Superlight will always weigh less.

There is generally a slightly different distribution of the weight between the two models. I find the 26" model Superlight tends to have a more even between the hands feel, because the forend is a bit trimmer. The 26" Lightning generally (but not always) has a very slightly more forward balance. However, this might not apply to all of them, due to wood density again. My two do feel slightly different to me. Another guy might not agree.

The two 28 inch models do not have quite as distinct a difference in balance IMO. I've owned several 28" Lightnings and have compared them side by side with 28" Superlight models on several occasions. In this case, I'd say pick the one you like the looks of or the one you can get the best price on and don't look back. There is not enough difference in performance and feel to really matter. Either will serve you very well.

Some folks think the Superlight is trimmer and sportier looking than the Lightning as well. This is a simple matter of perception and taste. I own one of each and am happy with either. If the truth were known, I'd have to say I own one of each of the 26 inch models, because I'm a gun collector as well as a shooter. If the chips were down, I'd be very happy to have either one in my hands. I shoot either about equally well. The differnce in grips does not seem to bother my shooting at all. Again, some folks would not agree and prefer one or the other. I'd not care to argue the matter.

The Superlight and Lightning Feather models have alloy recievers. This saves some weight in the receiver. The Citori steel barrel assembly is the same as used on all the other 16 ga huntring models.

The Feather models have a more forward balance than the steel guns. Some folks like it. Some don't. This can be offset to some degree by adding weight in the butt stock bolt hole behind the butt plate, but you will give up some of the overall lighter weight. The Feather model receivers will wear faster as well, and will be more subject to surface wear and dings.

If you intend to shoot the gun a lot for both hunting and recreational shooting, I'd strongly suggest you look at the all steel models. The steel guns will hold up much better to the wear and tear any target gun must face, plus the added weight will help offset the amount of recoil your shoulder must absorb from higher volume shooting. I also believe most folks shoot the best with the gun they shoot the most. so i stick with my all steel guns for hunting as well. The all steel 26" Citori weighs about 6.5 pounds. If I could not tote a 6.5 pound gun all day, I'm probably not well enough to be out hunting. But again, that is just me.

If you will be using the gun only for light duty like low volume upland hunting and shooting, then the Feather series might serve you well. Some folks like a gun that is very easy to carry.

Get the gun that will suit your needs to best. I'd not let other's perceptions of what you might like influence you too much. It will be your gun to live with. You will be the one shooting it. Good luck with whatever you decide.
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:16 am  Reply with quote

I certainly was not criticiizing the gun advertised here. 6 1/2 pounds is a fine weight for a game gun. Just wanted to make the point that "much better" is in the eye of the beholder. in the 1920s Charles Askins (Senior) wrote that if he could only have one gun it would be a sixteen gauge with 30" barrels and weigh 6-3/4 pounds. And of course he was writing about game guns.

Best,

Mike

hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:16 pm  Reply with quote

Ol' Charlie was right on the money and ahead of his time Cool Very Happy
mattlaird
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:53 pm  Reply with quote

Ive read alot about the superlight feather with alloy receiver on other forums and there are alot of people who did not like the superlight feather version which has the alloy frame.

to answer another question-I was told that the last batch of 16ga superlights were made in 2007 and that they werent making anymore. This could be wrong, but thats what the browning dealer i bought this from said and you rarely see the 16ga superlights for sale NIB anymore.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:36 am  Reply with quote

I got my 26" standard GD I Superlight slightly used at a very fair price. It was listed as an Upland version, which was not correct. The 26 and 28 inch Superlight models sell faster than the 24" Upland. The gun I bought sat for a bit, I made an offer, and bingo.

Check the listed barrel length in any of the Upland model listings. The gun might actually be a Superlight. It is a fairly common mistake because cosmetically, the two models are identical.
JonP
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
The ignition forces tend to force the barrel down and away from the breech face.

So I guess the Germans had a good idea with the double Kersten lock-up!!

If you're hunting, I doubt any of us could put enough rounds through one of these alloy guns to make a difference...if the gun has been properly made.
RPnKC
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

Is this gun still available?

mattlaird
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:18 pm  Reply with quote

gun is still available. someone is missing out on a great 16ga
hoser
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:00 am  Reply with quote

I'm still a bit confused. Just to be clear:
Superlight = Alloy
Superlight feather = Alloy
Featherlight = Alloy