16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Highest quality light loads?
castnblast
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:03 am  Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I don't reload and I know that since there is no official target class for the 16, target grade ammo is not available, but which of the factory loads ie. Rem, Fed, Win. has the highest quality shot? Im looking for 7/8 to 1 oz. loads. I called Remington Customer Service but the guy stated that all remington loads were 6% antimony. I ask him to double check that but he insisted that what he had in front of him was right. I know RGL's are not 6%, so he wasn't much help. Any thoughts?
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:43 am  Reply with quote

You can't beat the RST shells, in any gauge.

http://www.rstshells.com/shells.htm
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:21 am  Reply with quote

castnblast wrote:
I know RGL's are not 6%, so he wasn't much help. Any thoughts?

I wouldn't doubt Remington's claim. They are using a premium R16 wad in their Game Load so using high quality shot isn't out of the question and quite frankly they pattern just as good as my 1 ounce reloads that are made with 6% antimony shot. The only problem with Remington RGL's is the plastic used in their hulls.

If you want 7/8th ounce loads RSTs have worked pretty well.
topcat
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:33 am  Reply with quote

I have been using a home made shot hardness tester for over 10 years for bagged shot and 12 g factury loads. It is a constant weight dropped a constant height onto the pellet,pellet size and deformation, and a chart tells me the hardness. Alot of pellets advertised at 6 % test at 4 %.If they are round and the same size (measured) within 1/2 a shot size they shoot very well indeed. Making the pellet harder with antomony will make it lighter than pure lead , it is a trade off.Round is as important as hard.Consistant size shortens shotstrings and keeps pellet energy similar.
powderburn
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:02 am  Reply with quote

Highest quality?? I don't know about highest quality in absolute terms but I have always had good success with the remington game loads so I wouldn't doubt the remington guys claim. As to the cases I don't reload as I figure at 5.99 a box I can't justify the cost for no more than I shoot anymore so that isn't even a big problem for me.