16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  cold weather powder
Dave Esau
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:24 am  Reply with quote

Just got done loading a bunch of my new favorite low pressure loads using Universal. Does anyone have any experience with this powder in cold weather hunting loads? Just talking 20 to 30 deg.

Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:02 am  Reply with quote

I have been using Universal Clays and Clays in 12ga and 16ga with no noted problems. We shoot trap starting in Jan. and league starts at 6pm under the lights. The temp can be from 0 to 30 degs. for our Winter season and I have never noticed any problems to date.
Best,
Ron
Dave Esau
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:32 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Ron, I was hoping to here that. It is great powder, and worth the couple extra it cost.

Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

Dave,
The price is high compared to others but I find the Clays' powder to be cleaner than others I have tried. The cleanliness may not be very important to some but I have a preference for clean which for me just means I am burning all the powder.
Best,
Ron
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

If you are using good loading data, there isn't any powder that won't shoot fine in cold weather. The only time you get loads that won't properly develop good ballistics, are the ones that weren't properly tested, or those that have such a low chamber pressure at 70 degrees, that they just can't develop enough heat and pressure to burn all the powder, quickly enough, at 20 degrees.

Universal Clays is a fast to medium burning rate powder and if you used either a Winchester 209, Federal 209A, CCI 209m primer or any other robust primer, when you had the load tested, you should do just fine.

CCI 209 and Remington 209STS have been a bit suspect when trying light off Hodgdon Clays, International Clays and Universal Clays. If you remember back a few years CCI introduced the CCI209SC specifically to handle the CLAYS line of powder.I believe Remington has changed their priming mix also, but I am not 100% sure.
Dave Esau
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

I have built my target loads using new primed Cheddite hulls.I have loaded a lot using Unique. It performs well, but is very dirty in my S x S. I heard about Universal on this web site. It is a middle of the road burn rate, like Unique, but burns very clean, meters great, and has a very mild recoil. All this along with good patterning, has made it my powder of choice. I thought I would use WGL hulls and Win. 209 primers, for my hunting loads. I plan to load them both with 7/8 oz. shot. I shouldn't need anything else. Green for target and red for hunting Smile When I shoot up all my Green Dot, and Unique loads I will have plenty of hulls. I have reloaded some Cheddite hulls with CCI 209 primers. Haven't tried them yet. Thanks for the feedback fellas.