16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Cabellas 16ga. ammo prices...wth?????
MOJO67
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:53 pm  Reply with quote

I've been buying Estate 16ga Field loads from Cabellas for quite sometime, Last time I purchased was Sept. 2008. Retail price at the time was $6.99 per box. Reasonable price for 16's imo.

Running low on ammo, I head over to Cabellas today to stock up. That same box of Estate's is now $9.49!!!!!! What the heck?? That is CRAP. This is more than a supply and demand issue. This is gouging!! Ammo makers are going way overboard in this panic market. I know pistol ammo and certain rifle calibers are in high demand but, shotshells!!! Come on. Seems like an excuse to dig a little deeper into the consumers pocket. My opinion is ammo prices will never come back down. May moderate a tad at best.
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:59 pm  Reply with quote

Last time I did the calcs I was reloading 16 gauge 1oz loads for about $4.50 a box. A MEC 600 is about $130 bucks. So you can have a free reloader after just 30 boxes of shells.

Best,

Mike

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:14 pm  Reply with quote

I agree, that is ridiculous. Federals are about the same price where I shop. Thank God I reload. It's one of my favorite hobbies now. I picked up a vintage roll crimper, and I'm having a blast.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:22 pm  Reply with quote

In my opinion, reloading sucks; I have neither the time nor the inclination.. I'd 20 times rather be shooting, but if shooting the 16, it comes with the territory. I buy the Rem black GL shells about as cheap at Dick's ($49.99/case) as anywhere else, and then use Green Dot and a Rem R-16 wad along with 1 oz. of 8's or 9's with the empty hulls and get good results..

hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:04 pm  Reply with quote

With my limited home time I enjoy reloading with my Grabber--turned out two flats today-one for skeet(3/4oz) and one for sporting clays(1oz)..I am amazed at how noone has time to load but can sit on their butt for hours watching tv or sitting at the computer Shocked I carry a loader in the truck(600 jr.) to occupy my downtime so I can shoot when I am home----I am simply baffled/amazed at those who are home every nite and can't find an hour to load shells for the next week's shooting------Try being on the road six days a week and still keeping up on your reloading--I make no excuses -I find/make the time to load and shoot Wink Wolfchief I would still sometime like to get with you and shoot over at Terra Haute sporting clays on 63 it's a nice course Cool
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:27 am  Reply with quote

It has been almost a year since I have seen 16 gauge ammo for $49.99 a flat. In Connecticut, home of people with more money than brains, it has been at the $79.99 price by the flat, by the box it is about $9.00.

I recently got ahold of a bunch of Remington 16 Gauge Slug Hulls, from a guy in the area.

Same construction as the black Remington game load shell. I have been reloading them, with success in my Sizemaster, with a 6 point crimp. After the first reloading, I can put them in my 9000G and they run thru it nicely.

Believe it or not they will last 4-5 reloads b4 they crack on the ends.
steve007
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:49 am  Reply with quote

Try Basspro. If you sign up for a credit card there, you get an immediate 10% discount.Cancel the card when you get it, and sign up again.

I did find rem promos in 16g. at $49.95 a case a few months ago at Dick's.
Dr. David Dabaco
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:26 am  Reply with quote

I keep checking the Walmarts. Yesterday, I found 2 boxes of Federals #6s at $5.49 a box. I buy every box of 16s that I can find under $6 a box and stockpile.

Part of the game with a 16, is reloading.
old16
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

Myself I enjoy reloading just as much as shooting. I pass up many buys on shells just because I don't need any seeing I have all the hulls I need.

I also don't buy because I don't like being gouged by the big boys. With prices getting so High and the workforce getting so low, it won't be long before the big stores will either be stuck with the stuff like the lead market is or the prices dropping before their is no one left to buy.

67L48
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:45 pm  Reply with quote

Gun shop around here (CO) has medium to above-average prices on other ammo, but has 16 ga lead shot shells in #4 and #6 for $5.99. Can't remember brand. Has Fiochi in more varieties of lead for $8.99. Can't beat those prices.

Sportsman's Warehouse has between $9 - $15 for lead and I think around $20 for steel. Haven't yet checked Wal*Mart. Dick's and other sporting goods stores only have 12, 20 and 28.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

A couple of days ago, my son, who lives in Bloomington, IN went to the Dick's store there and bought me a flat of Remington Game Loads in #6 shot (that's all they had) and he paid $49.99 for the 10 boxes. I will pick them up this weekend; we shoot more #8's than #6's but for that price I was certainly glad he bought them!

MOJO67
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:42 am  Reply with quote

I finally bit the bullet and bought a reloader. I decided I'm no longer going to support the ammo manufacturers or the retailers who artificially inflate prices. I used to reload for my 12 and really enjoyed it. I'm now looking forward to the same with my 16, probably even more so as I know I'll be saving quite a bit of money.

As an aside, Dicks has been fairly consistent with pricing in my area but, they don't carry #8's in the Remington GL's, which is mostly what I shoot.
MOJO67
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:33 am  Reply with quote

Was in Cabellas last night and the price has gone up another $1.00, so...........Estates 16 ga 1oz #8 game loads are now $10.49 per box!!!!! To think I paid $4.49 per box last September.
This seems criminal. I'm just glad I have a reloader now.
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:37 am  Reply with quote

I Live less than a mile from Cabela's in East Hartford,CT. I have stopped going in.

Everything is made in China and the prices are CRIMINAL.

Cabela's is part of the problems in this country, they forget who made them rich in the first place!!!
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:37 am  Reply with quote

They remember all right; they just don't give a sh--. Their attitude is, "we're so big, we don't have to." When you can buy 16 ga. 1 oz shells for between $5.00 and $6.99 at some places and they charge $10.49, you're the one getting screwed if you buy from them.