16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Whats a better 16
dbshot
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

Would like some feed back, what is a better made . Auto5 sweet 16 Jap or Auto5 sweet 16 Beligum. looking for feed back have a change to buy eitherone thankyou.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:15 pm  Reply with quote

db: I don't know that one is inherently "better" than another if you're going to shoot/hunt a lot with either; it depends a lot on what you want---a shooter or a safe queen, or something in between that you can use but will hold value if you care for it.. I have owned both and they function flawlessly for me; they both are built like the proverbial brick sh--house and will hammer birds or targets long past our lifetimes if cared for appropriately.

There is a "mystique" for want of a better term, about the Belgian guns which appeals to shooters and collectors alike and these seem to command high prices.. The Belgian guns are usually higher-priced but I've seen some awfully high-priced Japanese guns lately, especially the Sweet 16 which was made for a time in Japan in the last couple of decades of the 20th century.

In part, besides where they are made, the price depends on gauge (20's and 16's seem to bring more than 12's), vent rib or plain barrel, choke (the more open chokes seem to be harder to find) and condition, ALWAYS condition--a really mint, original Belgian gun that has never been "messed with" tends to bring higher prices.

I have a Belgian 20 ga. made in 1964, choked IC with vent rib, and a Belgian Sweet 16 ga. made in 1973 that also is IC with a VR; they are like new, I can hit with them, I paid too much but wanted them so I don't give a damn--they are beautiful, everyone who sees them tells me so, and I plan to keep them to my dying day, then give them to my son. Also, I have a Sweet 16 28" mod choked Belgian gun made in the late 1950's-early 60's that I used on pheasants in South Dakota in November that pointed wonderfully and accounted for a number of the wild birds, plus some ducks that I shot this year.

I am not an expert on these guns, but some folks on this board are so maybe you will get other opinions too.

Harry_Orwell
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

dbshot,

While Wolfchief is correct on all points I'll point out that the general consensus is that the Japanese made guns were of a higher quality due to the fact that their factories had new and more advanced manufacturing techniques which translated into a higher quality gun.

The rebuttal to that is that the Belgium made guns were more "hand made" to a point and were better for that reason.

Whatever the case you can't outlast either type so find the one that pleases you the most and have as much fun as you can and then give it to someone you love!

Orwell

Brayhaven
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:28 pm  Reply with quote

dbshot wrote:
Would like some feed back, what is a better made . Auto5 sweet 16 Jap or Auto5 sweet 16 Beligum. looking for feed back have a change to buy eitherone thankyou.

I've worked on a lot of both and IMO, the Jap gun is as good or better than the Belgian.
Greg
rhtx55
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

The nuances between the two are minor and mostly cosmetic, the 1953 to 1960 Belgians tend to have a little nicer engraving than the Mikoru made ones, checkering has three border lines up until 1963, and after had only two border lines.
If you plan on shooting a lot of targets, then you might be able to justify a Mikoru model in the fact it is much newer and would have less wear, plus the invector and invector plus barrels are compatable with steel shot for waterfowl hunting.
The Belgian barrels are not compatable with steel shot and purchasing an invector barrel to shoot waterfowl would be an additional expense, so I would not to be able to personally choose, I would be forced to purchase them both, shoot the heck out of them, THEN make up my mind, hindsight is ALWAYS 20-20. Which ever one you decide not to keep, I will take it !!
rhtx55
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:21 pm  Reply with quote

In addition, either you choose, I doubt if you could ever wear either one out or even cause a breakage !! So wear is not an issue at purchase. It will boil down to which one you personally prefer, there are no issues with either that even warrant mentioning, they are that minor. If you fail to decide on one or the other, buy both, you won't be sorry !!
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:04 pm  Reply with quote

Fellas, it's Japanese, not "jap". The war's over.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:30 pm  Reply with quote

Hear hear, we don't call the other ones "belgs". Laughing
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:10 am  Reply with quote

Here is an idea. Why not refer to them as FN or Miroku models. Doing so dispenses with the whole ethnic and nationality issue. Both are well made. The Miroku models tend to bring a higher price in my area.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:47 pm  Reply with quote

The biggest issue in my mind is the fact you can use steel in the Japanese made issue, and it comes with choke tubes. Jeff Mulliken (sp.? sorry Jeff) is extremely informed on both makes and will chime in here. I believe he feels the forearm is a little heftier on the Japanese gun. I have shot a Belgium for over 40 years and I don't think there is an auto on the market today that can match it.

Matt
gunsrus
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:05 am  Reply with quote

My '50's Sweets weigh in around 6 lbs 13 oz are a delight to carry and swing beautifully . My Japanese guns weigh in 8 oz to a pound more , The Belgium guns have trimmer forearms and matte barrels . The 80's guns have wider forearms to accomodate the wider invector barrels with vent ribs . To each there is a time to shoot . I do like the feel of the older guns . Currently , I am working on fitting an extra inv barrel I have to a '50's gun . Maybe the best of both worlds .
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:53 am  Reply with quote

I am hearing more about several states pressing to switch to non toxic shot for upland hunting and if that actually happens, it would be necessary to pick up one of those Invector barrels that gunsrus refers to. I sure wouldn't shoot steel through a Belgian barrel though the Bismuth would be ok.

It's getting really expensive to buy extra barrels unless a guy runs into a real deal or someone needs quick cash...

Brayhaven
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:03 pm  Reply with quote

fin2feather wrote:
Fellas, it's Japanese, not "jap". The war's over.

It's not a dig, any more than saying the "brits" or them calling us "yanks". Or Cannucks etc etc. Time to be a little less PC and hypersensitive... No big deal.. It's just a shortened name for them.
By the way: My mother in law is Japanese (& I love her dearly). Very Happy

Greg
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

I took my Sweet 16 out for a round of skeet today---best shooting weather we've had in the last 7 or 8 weeks here in northern Indiana! Used a reload of #9's and PB and broke a 25; shot against a number of friends shooting O/U 12 gauges. Love to shoot that Auto-5!

spr310
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

Why don't you HONKIES take a poll and see which one is prefered