16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Whats a better 16
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:14 pm  Reply with quote

Brayhaven wrote:
It's just a shortened name for them.

Rationalize it however you want. It has a derogatory connotation; you know it, I know it, so does everybody else. If your mother-in-law's not offended, that's her business; there's a lot of "them" who would be. 16GG said it best; keep the ethnic and nationality aspects out of it.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
ermadear55
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:09 pm  Reply with quote

I have an FN. It is the only automatic I own and it is a super field gun. I prefer a shucker. I am hopeful that MN does not go totally nuts with the steel shot laws.
Brayhaven
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

fin2feather wrote:
Brayhaven wrote:
It's just a shortened name for them.

Rationalize it however you want. It has a derogatory connotation; you know it, I know it, so does everybody else. If your mother-in-law's not offended, that's her business; there's a lot of "them" who would be. 16GG said it best; keep the ethnic and nationality aspects out of it.

Er uh.. it's a shortened name for the gun's origin. (Jap A-5) I don't think any A-5's were offended. If so, it's their problem.. You need to lighten up and chill out. As do a lot of "politically correct" people who look constantly, for things to be offended by. if you look hard enough, you'll find it. From here on I demand to be referred to as an Irish/danish/english American Very Happy
Greg
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

Brayhaven wrote:
You need to lighten up and chill out. As do a lot of "politically correct" people who look constantly, for things to be offended by. if you look hard enough, you'll find it. From here on I demand to be referred to as an Irish/danish/english American Very Happy
Greg

Sigh. If I hear the "too politically correct" crap again I think I'm gonna puke. Just because it is politically correct doesn't mean it's not the right thing to do, but you're obviously gonna do what you want anyway. By the way, that would be Mick/Jens/Limey/Amerikaki, or something along those lines....... Very Happy .

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Brayhaven
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:45 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds good to me "Fin". If it makes you feel good. Be careful drooling all that righteous indignation though. It'll rust your shotgun Surprised

Greg
"Political correctness is why we're in this mess"
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

Brayhaven wrote:
Sounds good to me "Fin". If it makes you feel good. Be careful drooling all that righteous indignation though. It'll rust your shotgun Surprised

Greg
"Political correctness is why we're in this mess"

Fair enough. Be careful, though, and don't spit up any koolaid; it'll do the same to yours Wink .

Harry_Orwell
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:45 pm  Reply with quote

Maybe the moderator can start a new forum for bitch'n, piss'n and moan'n. I'll stay on this one and you guys can go play on the new one!

Let's try to stay true to the cause shall we.

HL

Brayhaven
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:51 am  Reply with quote

OK Harry, you're right, of course. Back to A-5's. If I was advising a new buyer, (and I've advised many) I wouldn't advise an A-5 (either country of mfg). Now at the risk of offending some A-5 afficionados, this is nothing more than my personal opinion, based on 40 years gunsmithing and 50 shooting competitive shotgun sports & hunting.
Even though it's probably the best made auto shotgun in terms of workmanship, it's my least favorite. Mainly due to 2 things. I don't like the looks. That big hump loomimg in my face bothers me and detracts from the lines IMO. It's also the worst recoil gun IMO. Instead of a 7 pound shotgun hitting you, it's a 3 pound barrel with a 3" head start before it slams into your shoulder. Of course you can play with the friction sleeves but it still can be brutal in a long day of shooting. They kick me much harder than doubles & O/U's
Again these are personal preferences and opinions. You know what they say about those... well, ... everyone has one Very Happy
Harry_Orwell
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:44 am  Reply with quote

I agree on the recoil issue. What good ways are there to tame the recoil? I've just made a deal for my first Sweet so I'm anxious to put it through its paces but not at the cost of a good shoulder. I would hate to add a pad because of the fit and the prospect of cutting the stock. Are there any good strap on pads? I guess I could live with a little longer LOP.

Light loads are an option also I would guess. It would seem by now that someone would have worked up some aftermarket parts to help on this. Maybe there already is. Do you know of any?

HL

bird buster
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:04 am  Reply with quote

Surprised It is strange how recoil affects all of us differently. I believe alot of recoil issues are related to gun fit and mount. As for A5's, I have never had a problem with any of my 20 or 16 gauges. Now the twelves are a whole different story. Galco makes a nice slip on leather pad that looks and works well. A little pricey but worth it. The LOP for some people on A5's is short as maybe the case for you. If so, a pad will help this, too. All my A5'S are factory LOP and work fine for me. Best of luck and enjoy the Sweet! Sometimes no matter how hard we try, a particular gun may not work for us. I found this out the hard way with a Benelli 20 gauge. I bought one a while back since I already had a twelve. That Benelli 20 just did not fit me and was the worst gun for recoil that I have ever shot to this day. I tried changing the shims, installing a good pad but nothing helped. Took a loss and never looked back. But the guy who bought it form me says the same about my Brownings.
Brayhaven
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:07 pm  Reply with quote

You are exactly right about fit for one not being right for another. I got a Benelli 20 for my wife last month (spare the joke Smile and she loves it. She's much more recoil sensitive than I am. She likes it better than her 1100 (20).
As for taming the A-5 recoil. You can port it, put a good (1") pad on it (cut the stock & fit it), add weight to the stock, wear a recoil absorbing pad like the PAST or REACTOR. I shot a 12 ga with a cutts compensator at a skeet range once, that was noticeably more comfortable than any A-5 or Rem 11 I'd ever shot. When a customer tells me they want an A-5, I always talk them into borrowing one and shooting a round of clays with it first. Most wind up with another gun. Even the 20 beats me up. 7/8 oz low recoil loads will also help somewhat.

Speaking of A05's, have any of you seen a Brown. A-5 made by Remington, here in the US? When the Nazis occupied the FN plant for a couple years (@ 41), they were made here. Had the mag block lever & everything.. I sold one last year.
Greg
Stack16
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

Brayhaven wrote
Speaking of A05's, have any of you seen a Brown. A-5 made by Remington, here in the US? When the Nazis occupied the FN plant for a couple years (@ 41), they were made here. Had the mag block lever & everything.. I sold one last year.

Yes, growing up we had two in the family, one a full, one a mod. bought by my dad after the war, an uncle came home from war and had to have one, he bought the full, the uncle died in 1960 leaving no heirs but mom, both were 16 ga. The mod. was stolen from an older brother of mine, my oldest brother still has the full and I was looking at it again just this week end. The serial no is on the side of the reciever, the 16s start with the letter A. The barrel extension is longer and has a single ejecter instead of the duel like the FNs and I believe it was solid. The butt plate looks like the ones we see on the brownings of late.

Griff
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:54 pm  Reply with quote

Gents,
Here's one in 20ga, less elaborate engraving and "matted" receiver head.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=122249829
And one that sold recently, very good pictures;
http://www.auctionarms.com/Search/DisplayItem.cfm?ItemNum=8968855.0
Cheers,
R*2
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

Rrussell---thanks for posting those pictures. The matted receiver top is an interesting touch. I have an older 20 ga. Rem Model 11 Sportsman with the dog on the receiver, really it's my wife's that she got from her Dad; plain barrel and I'm pretty sure it's a full choke. But the top of the receiver is finished in bright blue. The variations on the A-5 that are out there (I understand Savage made a variation of it too) are interesting--it's a shame they never made it in 28 ga. In retrospect, maybe the recoil generated by a 28 ga. would not be sufficient to operate the long action--I don't know...

Rrusse11
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:16 pm  Reply with quote

"In retrospect, maybe the recoil generated by a 28 ga. would not be sufficient to operate the long action--I don't know..."

Wolf,
Got 3 of the Model 11's, 16ga, 20ga, and a basket case 12ga that I'm working on at the moment. Really well made, not quite the quality of the Belgian A5's, but for 2-300 $'s I'm not complaining.
I hear ya' on the 28ga, the answer is the Franchi 48AL. If it wasn't for a horrendous vet bill last weekend, and a big hit at the dentist today, I'd be bidding on this;
http://v4.beta.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=122256344
Got a "plain jane" 20ga Franchi that I snagged at one of the gunshops as it came in the door. With a 26" barrel and under 6#'s I thought it would be too whippy, but I shoot it very well. Would love to have it's lil sister in 28.
The variations on the long recoil action are astonishing.
Cheers,
R*2