16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Need clarification on 16ga. wad nomenclature.
MOJO67
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

Can someone shed a light on wad nomenclature. In a previous thread a few folks recommended looking at Hodgdons website for a 1oz 16ga load in the Fed hull. One of the 1 oz loads I'm interested in calls for what Hodgdon refers to as a BPG/BP wad. The problem is, I can't find this specific wad nomenclature referenced on Ballistic Products, Graffs or Precisions website. I've seen some of you guys mention the SG16 and the SPG 16. Are these wads one in the same? If not, which wad is Hodgdon refering to in their load data and where can I find it? I'm familiar with the SP-16 Remington wad and realize it's a 1 1/8 wad.

Thanks for all the help. I just want to ensure I order and use the correct componets. I never realized how confusing this darn 16 loading can be.

MOJO

Last edited by MOJO67 on Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
longgunnm
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

MOJO,
I had the same question Friday.
When I called Hodgdon, they were closed.
BPI assured me the BP G/BP were SG16 wads in the Hodgdon reloading table.
The SG16 wad is the Gualandi GU1621 in Precision Reloading's catalog, if I understand this correctly.
Mark
MOJO67
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:31 pm  Reply with quote

longgunnm wrote:
MOJO,
I had the same question Friday.
When I called Hodgdon, they were closed.
BPI assured me the BP G/BP were SG16 wads in the Hodgdon reloading table.
The SG16 wad is the Gualandi GU1621 in Precision Reloading's catalog, if I understand this correctly.
Mark

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try and give Hodgdon a call tomorrow.
longgunnm
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:09 am  Reply with quote

Any news from Hodgdon?
Mark
MOJO67
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:59 am  Reply with quote

longgunnm wrote:
Any news from Hodgdon?
Mark

I called Hodgdon and even they weren't sure. I phoned BPI as you did and was told the same, it 's the Gualandi 1621(Ballistic Products Inc's 072SG16) that is being referred to in Hodgdons data page. Precision Reloading lists this wad as well under the code TUWG2116.

As a side note, I have Claybusters sending me a sample of their new waa16 wad. I spoke with one of their reps and he told me they designed this wad specifically for straight walled hulls and that also the shot cup is flaired a bit to keep the powder from migrating. I guess the original winchester wad didn't have this feature, hence some of the reported problems from members here. Hopefully the new Claybusters wad takes care of the migration prob. If this wad works out for me, that's the one I'll use as my primary.

MOJO
Citori_16
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:56 am  Reply with quote

If the BP G/BP is the SG16, then what is the BP/SPTG16? Why would you have 2 different nomenclatures for the same wad in the same data?

Anything from Hodgdon yet?
Spike McQuail
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:44 am  Reply with quote

I had the same question regarding what the difference was between the BP B/GP and BP/SPTG16 abbreviations on the Hodgdon web site since no abbreviation key is provided anywhere in the data. Comparing the catalog pictures of the Gualandi and Ballistic Products 16 gauge wads on the web sites and the reloading data for both however, I would bet dollars to donuts that they are identical or so close that they are interchangeable if you use a recipe(s) that don't push the top end of your chamber pressure limit.
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:28 am  Reply with quote

BPI and Precision Reloading like to make wads 'their own', it gives the look of having something that no one else carries. It also makes the reloader buy loading data from that company, I know I was, at one time, part of this sales tactic.

My issue with it then and now is that it is confusing to the reloader and ends up being a frustration, and I believe actually turns the guys off reloading.

The wads in question appear to be wads from both Gualandi and B & P (Baschieri & Pellagri). I will not try to identify these wads but just trying to let you folks know about the nonsense that goes on. Both Gualandi and B & P, have item numbers for their wads I wish that BPI and Precision would use them and make the products they sell more user friendly.

A quick phone call to either company should clear up the issue. While you are on the line with them, a little bit of gentlemanly complaining to their customer service people might get through, about 50 phone calls should do it. Make them identify the wad properly.

I just looked at both Precision and BPI websites, Precision does at least identify the actual Company that makes the wad, but neither gives any real hint to what actual wad they are selling. At BPI the Trap Commander is definitely the B & P 16 ga wad and the Sporting 16 is a Gualandi.

Last edited by dogchaser37 on Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:18 am; edited 1 time in total
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:08 am  Reply with quote

The BPI wads are sold in a bag that is labeled:

G/BP (in huge type)
16 gauge
Sporting 16 Wads
072SG16

It's not really clear what BPI wants you to call them.