16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16ga Michigan Turkey Hunt
chopper
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:37 pm  Reply with quote

A good friend and I will be attempting a 16ga turkey hunt in southern Michigan this spring. Neither of us have hunted MI ever and he's never hunted turkeys. We will both be hunting with guns passed to us by our grandfathers. He has a modified choke Sweet-16 and I have a full choke Winchester single shot.

I do not reload at this point and I've only hunted pheasants and quail my 16's. I would appreciate your suggestions on shot size and desirable factory loads for turkey hunting. Any thoughts or suggestions on hunting MI are appreciated as well.

Brad
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:07 pm  Reply with quote

Brad if you limit your shots to 30 - 35 yards I would recommend Remington Long Range Express with 1 1/8th ounce of #6s. They are easy to find and produce a pretty good pattern. While we are talking patterns it would be very wise to pattern your shotgun using the turkey head/neck pattern sheets. If your gun will consistantly put 5 or more pellets into the head and neck at 35 yards you should be good to go.
Brayhaven
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:20 pm  Reply with quote

chopper wrote:
A good friend and I will be attempting a 16ga turkey hunt in southern Michigan this spring. Neither of us have hunted MI ever and he's never hunted turkeys. We will both be hunting with guns passed to us by our grandfathers. He has a modified choke Sweet-16 and I have a full choke Winchester single shot.

I do not reload at this point and I've only hunted pheasants and quail my 16's. I would appreciate your suggestions on shot size and desirable factory loads for turkey hunting. Any thoughts or suggestions on hunting MI are appreciated as well.

Brad

6's or 5's are good. You need enough penetration to get in through very tough head & neck skin and do some damage once you're in there. I'd try some loading yourself. I like a 1 1/4 oz load of 5's. Be sure to keep it over 1200 fps. You can use BP's steel shotcups (but use lead or plated lead (even better) shot) which are not slit, and play aoround with the slits to get the pattern density you want. If you can't do that, follow the other instructions. The 16 is plenty of gun for turkeys if you don't try to shoot them too far. I see people do that all the time and wound birds. 35 yards should be Max range IMO for any shotgun (5's & 6's), due to penetration. I saw a kid kill 2 last year with a 410. I sometimes use a 28 ga flintlock fowler, but I don't shoot that over 20 yards. I have a 97 Winchester in 16 ga with a full barrel that is deadly on turkeys. I assume that single is a model 37? If so, they can be very tightly choked. I had a customer who used his (12 ga mod 37) to win a Thanksgiving turkey every year in card shoots. Usually only took him one shot Smile
Greg
ahfox16
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

Can't speak for now, but a few years ago we went out west and all three of us carried our 16 Gauges. We all shot federal premiums (factory 1 1/4 oz loads). They were hell on wild flushing pheasants. Would think out to about 40 yards they would be pretty decent. For sure a 35 yards that would be one dead turkey.
putz463
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:57 am  Reply with quote

Come on up, welcome. Just in case you guys dont have this info yet;

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_10958_10969---,00.html

Legaly don't have any ammo with shot in it larger than #4 in your stuff. I like #4 tungsten but I use hand rolled 10ga ammo. I would agree with the above replies that speed and range will be your main concern. Find the fastest tightest shooting load in nothing smaller than #6 for each of your guns. Big shot=penetration&range, if using lead, nickel plating does help too. Hopefully you guys can put in some patterning time before heading up. I would suggest to try and keep your max practice and kill shots out to the 30-35 yrd range. Another tip; after patterning several loads and you have narrowed your possibles down to 2 or 3 for tightness of pattern.....shoot into a phone book out at 30 yards and pick the load that has penetrated deepest.

Application is through the month of Jan. so do your homework on where you would like to hunt and also have second and third area choices in case your first choice reaches quota. I can't speak for every square inch of MI but I've seen birds wherever I go in the state, in fact groups so large up in the Manistee Nat Forest stop traffic for several minutes while they cross the road.

If you guys enjoy good food and beer and are in the Kazoo area try Bell's Brewery, GR try Founders Brewery and Ludington try Jamesport brewery all have great food and fantastic beer. Welcome to MI, Mike

Hootch
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:58 pm  Reply with quote

Personly, I use 10ga for turkeys. If using the 16ga, I would use Federal's
1 1/4 oz #6. Even then I would keep shots inside 35yds. Closer the better.

Not sure what Mich turks are like. I KNOW what they are like here in Neb.
That is why I use 10ga. I have hunted turkeys for 25+ years, NEVER give them a break. They will surely cut you no slack.
chopper
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:44 pm  Reply with quote

I plan on patterning both guns the first weekend in March. I'm going up to do a little scouting and see if we can narrow our choices. I picked up 1 1/8 5's from Fiocci. Have not seen the 1 1/4 Federal 6's, but will be stopping by the Dundee, MI Cabelas in March as well. My find some Remy's there as well. Should be fun.

Thank you for the information. If I rember, I'll post some pics of the patterns and hunt.

Brad

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:31 am  Reply with quote

A nice load of 7/8 or 1 OZ of 7.5's will do all you can ever ask for and then some .

Look back at some of my postings on this subject and the birds in the photo's an what they were shot with an how far .

Turkey is not hard to kill you just have to hit him in order to accomplish this task .

Regards Charles
Hootch
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:08 pm  Reply with quote

7.5's may not be legal in all states for turkey?

Number 7.5 Hevi-shot if legal size is ok for closer shots.

Of course you won't find that in 16ga.

If using the 16 and 7.5's I would get the velocity up! You will need to get that small pellet moving if bird is down range a bit.

I would definitely be patterning 7.5's at 7/8oz out past 30yds to make sure you have a good "kill" pattern.

I am big believer in patterning all shot guns at various distances with the load you decide on (load I decide on depends on how it patterns!)