16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  PSI
JonP
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:01 pm  Reply with quote

Regarding an older shotgun, I have been cautioned not to use shells that exceed 1030 Bar. How does this translate into a PSI? My calculations put this at about 10,500 psi.

Info appreciated.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
spr310
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:33 pm  Reply with quote

The reloads I use in my LC Smith are rated at 6100 psi or a little over 420 bar. How old and what make shotgun are you shooting?
JonP
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:49 am  Reply with quote

Its a 1966 Krieghoff alloy framed 16/70 O/U. Don't know how I came up with the PSI figure...can't recreate it on my calculator. Shouldn't watch the Super Bowl and try to be intelligent at the same time.

I'd like to feed this gun my normal B and P F2 loads. A friend and gunsmith cautioned me some years back not to exceed 1030 bar. I guess that would properly translate to 14,000 + PSI....with B and P shells around 10,500, this appears to have been a stupid question. Confusing though...the gun also has a 16/70--7x65R set of barrels and that rifle cartridge is rated at a crusher pressure of 48 (http://kwk.us/pressures.html). How do you translate this into bar?
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:10 am  Reply with quote

The pressure a gun is proofed at, and the maximum average working pressure, are two different pressures.

Not sure you want to 'proof' your gun everytime you pull the trigger.

In the good ole USA 16 gauge guns(all guns for that matter) are proofed at a pressure quite a bit higher than the maximum average working pressure of 11,500 PSI.

You can't buy 16 ga. ammo on either side of the pond that is loaded to a high pressure level of 1030 BAR. Ammunition companies keep things down at or below the maximum average working pressure, of a specific gauge.