16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Clay dot and promo
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:25 pm  Reply with quote

dogchaser37 wrote:
The gentleman asked about Alliant Promo and ClayDot and Hodgdon's Longshot. Alliant Promo and Hodgdon Longshot have been around since the late 1990's. Claydot probablty 4 to 5 years.

H110 and Winchester's 296, are old news and a good portion of the 410 shooters use either Hodgdon Lil' Gun or Alliant 410.

A guy that answers reloading questions, as often as you do, should visit the real reloading data web sites now and again, just for kicks. Then you won't end up looking foolish.

Oh, Gee, thanks for setting me straight there LMM. In the meantime....PLLLUUUURRRRBBBB!!!! Laughing
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

Rrusse11 wrote:
16gg,
Claydot is a new Alliant powder designed to duplicate Clays, it has an orange dot, I believe it's flake, (flattened sphere), as with their other Dots. Very similar speed to Red Dot and Promo, only available in 8#'s, but supposed to be clearner burning. Promo is much closer to the canister grade powders, and can vary significantly lot to lot in terms of density, but is loaded by weight the same as Red Dot. From the data, and I don't use Hodgdon's, it would appear that all of the above, including Titewad and Clays, are very similar in burn rates, low volume high energy powders designed for 12ga target loads.
Cheers,
R*2

Thanks for the info R. I think you are on the money here. Most of my old trap shooting buddies use Red Dot, Clays, or Promo for their ammo reloading. I've been using IMR (Dupont) 700X only because I was given three old but well stored and unopenned 12 pound stel canisters of the stuff. It is great for 7/8 and 1 ounce 12 gauge loads. It is also one of the cleanest burning powders I've ever used. Lucky me. Smile Of course, none of these powders are ideal for general 16 gauge reloading. they are all too fast burning. They would be suitabe for lower velocity 3/4 and 7/8 ounce loads. However, they might not throw a bulky enough charge to allow good crimps without extra filler wads being used with the domestic componants commonly available to us.

Two points and then I'll concede to Lord High Mucky Muck's wishes and bugger off. Wink

Having traded 12 ga trap loading (skeet loading too) info with most of my old friends, I've come to realize all of the above mentioned Alliant and Hodgdon powders are so close in burning rates, that a smart reloader could pick one bushing that throws a volumetric charge both safe and common to any of them (probably including the new Clay Dot). The loads from each powder might vary slightly in pressures and velocities, but remain safe mild loads for bulk practice ammo using a standardized set of componants. In so doing, the reloader can simply buy the cheapest propellant available and not have to alter his press set up at all. He can also reserve the powder he uses for his primo competition loads as well. He will save money both ways.

I offer this bit of info for any of the folks here who are serious trap shooters and who go through practice ammo by the ton like I used to. The savings could be considerable once shot prices come down to sane levels again.

The second point or observance about these powders is that Alliant might be now following Hodgdon's suit by importing some more cheaply acquired products rather than manufacturing them. Bruce Hodgdon Sr made a fortune selling mil spec surplus bulk powders he acquired very cheaply after WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. Hodgdon Inc has imported reasonably acquired bulk powders from all over the world for decades. Much of their spherical powders used to come from slightly out of spec Olin mil spec and canister grade production. alliant could be doing the same thing. after all, they have the facilities available to develop safe and reliable data easily enough.

Alliant might also be using a slightly modified gambit here to lower costs and boost profits. They might be creating new names for lots of production powders that do not quite fit into the narrow parameters of their standard grade canister powders. It would be quicker, easier, and cheaper to simply produce then rename a big lot of powder and develop some new and safe, but somewhat narrowly ranged data for it and sell it at a reduced price in bulk. They avoid having to market it at a big discount to folks like Hodgdon for short money and keep the sales revenues and market share for themselves. If they publish a narrow range of data that covers only the lower end of the load range, they and their customers will remain on safe ground both ballistically and legally even if the powders throw slightly different from lot to lot. Here again, volume is more important than actual charge weight. Performance would be close enough for jazz and safe as well. They save their customers some dough and provide them with a reasonably good useful product for everyday ammo reloading. It's a win win situation as I see it and smart marketing. Welcome to the new marketing philosophy of our new global market.

Last edited by 16gaugeguy on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
pumpgun
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

My experience with Promo mirrors that of Samuel's. Worked ok in 16 and 20g weenie loads, but not very consistent in 12g. Clays/claydot simply work better for me, and are worth the price IMO.
bcpifish
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:04 pm  Reply with quote

I'm with Sam on Promo. I find it kinda dirty and temperature sensitive. And it does not have to get that cold for the problem to show up either, especially with Fiocchi primers.

My next powder buy will be ClayDot 8# jugs. If it burns as well as Clays, thats where I'll stick.

Alliant powders are made in the US (Blacksburg, VA) and Clays is made in Australia. I prefer to buy US when I can anyway.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if your stupid." - John Wayne
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:04 am  Reply with quote

Which Fiocchi primer are you referring to? I used to use the Fiocchi 216 primers for my winter league trap loads because they had a high brissance. They were about as hot as a Federal 209 primer but far cheaper to buy. I used them with my 1-1/8 ounce, #7.5, 1180FPS Green Dot loads. These loads were designed to crack the icy frozen clay targets we so often had to break. They did the job superbly, even for the handicap events and for fast shoot off targets.

The 216 is a tad bigger than our standard domestic 209 primers. I seperated the hulls I primed with a 216 to avoid problems. Other than that, they performed excellently for me.

PS: I should be using the 616 designation here. 216 is wrong.

Last edited by 16gaugeguy on Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
bcpifish
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:14 am  Reply with quote

The Fio 616, current 209 primer version. And I have not had any problem with primer size. They seem to be identical with the Win 209 in size.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if your stupid." - John Wayne
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:05 am  Reply with quote

Well, then they have changed something. I do know they are or were offering a 215 primer as couple of years back which is both cooler and a bit smaller to match our domestic primers. The old 216 primers are several thousanths bigger and will stretch primer pocket so a domestic 209 will be loose.

I still have several thousand of the old Fiocchi 216 primers left, so I've not been keeping up on the matter.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just googled Fiocchi primers and I've been stating 216 instead of the correct 616 designation. According to some of the info posted, it remains a slightly bigger and hotter primer than the domestic 209.

However, the newest Fiocchi catalog offers only the 616. The info states it is now a standard 209 sized primer. So we are talking about two different primers. the old 616 is bigger and hotter as well. The ones I still have are the old ones. They are among the most consistant primers I've ever used. I can't remember one misfire of squib load while using them. I'm betting Fiocchi dropped the old 616 and redesignated the 615 with the old number to keep sales up.
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:13 am  Reply with quote

16gg,
The only problem I've had with the Fiochi 616 is that it's a hard cup, on one or two elderly guns I've had insufficient firing pin hits to ignite. Rio's are similarly priced, and softer enough to alleviate the problem. They are however, I believe a bit hotter, and not as ballistically consistent as the Fiochi.
http://www.armbrust.acf2.org/bargainprimer.htm
Cheers,
R*2
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:54 am  Reply with quote

I've heard the same thing about the 616 having hard cups, but I've never had a problem. Of course I shoot trap with two well maintained Perazzi models with excellent and well maintained locks and firing pins, an MX8 and a TMX. Well maintained locks and pins always help matters.

I've never experienced firing pin nose damage from any 616 either. I have damaged the pins of a Winchester 101 Diamond Grade when using a bad batch of CCI 209 primers with extremely thick, hard primer cups. This happened nearly a dozen years ago though. Since then, Alliant bought CCI and the QC has improved quite a bit. the latest CCI 209 primers I've been using are excellent.