16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Federal Hull crimping issues. (pics included)
Spike McQuail
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:03 pm  Reply with quote

I have to agree with sheabert, I use a nearly identical load (19.5-20 grains of Universal Clays) with no fillers or problems. In fact my reloading machine crimps Federal hulls best when compared to the Fiocchi (too large) and Remington (too small) hulls. I have also used this same recipe with Nice Shot.
birddog
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:45 pm  Reply with quote

Mojo,
Won't argue the starter crimp, but also notice that the finish crimp hasn't much tamper and that will need to be set with the cam. But in doing so will require backing out the stem some as you go. Definitely go to the Mec site and download the sizemaster manual if you don't already have one.
Charlie

Winchester Mod 12 16ga. 30" full
Sears mod. 30 Ranger 16ga.
1 NEW Citori 525 Sporting Clays w/30"tubes
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good woman" D. Boone
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:35 am  Reply with quote

sheabert wrote:
I wouldn't worry about your current load. i use the exact same one in a federal hull and have had no problems. without a filler, it just dents inward a little, so i usually put a little toilet paper or even an old primer in the shot as filler. works great. The sg16 is a good wad. mess with your loader until you get it right, it is possible.
and i can't see any reason why those shells wouldn't be fine to shoot. As long as they will chamber in your gun.

I would not recommend using old shotgun primers for filler. Some types have thin steel cups. Adding anything harder than lead into your shot column is asking for trouble IMO. It is just not worth the risk of damaging your barrel.

Another concern here is that used primers are odd shaped and can fly off in an irratic, curved trajectory. Some clubs have both skeet and trap fields adjacent to each other. A used primer could concievably spin off and end up hitting someone on an adjacent field. Lord knows it is hard enough trying to get trap and skeet shooters to coexist peacefully as it is. Bean one with spent primer and war might break out. Laughing Use anything soft you want from hairballs to horse manure as a filler, but not a spent primer, thanks.