16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  New load
Scolari
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:42 pm  Reply with quote

I was looking at the www.grafs.com site to see if there were any new 16 ga shells listed. There was. Federal 1 1/8 oz in 4,5,6's at 1425 fps. I thought this might be a miss print so I checked it out on the Federal web site. Sure enough. Federal Wing Shock Pheasants Forever at 1425 fps. Now that should make a good pheasant load. Thats some progress. I was wishing for a 7/8 oz load but at least this is something new.
mtjim
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:46 pm  Reply with quote

I'll bet that's a shoulder kicker!!!

Shocked
jchandler
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:47 pm  Reply with quote

1 1/8 oz at 1425fps???

Progress??? only for my dentist!

Jeff
Scolari
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

I didn't say I wanted to shoot it. But at least its a new product. You have to understand the 16 has been neglected for the last 40 years. At least we know now that ammo companies are looking. I'm still waiting for the lite 7/8 oz load.
M12shooter
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:32 pm  Reply with quote

Interesting... might be a tad stiff for some of our older guns though.

Ted

Hootch
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:08 pm  Reply with quote

I wish they left it at 1oz or 1 1/16th but what the hey, I will take the 1 1/8oz. About time someone besides Fiocchi stepped up the velocity!!

I will shoot them out of Japanese sweet 16 and maybe Citori, the Citori might buck a little, we shall see.
manofthewoods
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:57 pm  Reply with quote

While I doubt I can afford this new product Sad I too am happy to see something new.

For me, who sometimes tends not to lead enough, higher velocity is a good thing and I'll take a sore shoulder with birds in the bag over an empty bag with no pain any day. I could see using it more for a 2nd shot as incentive to be more accurate with the first Cool . Besides, I usually have multiple layers of clothing to stay warm (and absorb recoil) anyway. I've also taken to putting a slip on recoil pad on my Citoris anyway (usually).

Anyway...

I'll chalk this new ammo up to "good news," their's so little of it these days, I'll take it where I can find it. Just hope we can keep our guns so that ammo doesn't end up as paperweights!!! Confused

Best to all

Slidehammer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:21 pm  Reply with quote

200fps wasted IMHO. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:08 pm  Reply with quote

200 fps wasted ?? only for those that cannot take advantage of it . Soon we shall see loads in the 1600 Fps catagory .

Turkey load indeed !!!!!!!! Sure would not care to pull the trigger on those in my light guns , but for the A-5 weight and such it will be another product out there in 16 .

Just one that I will never shoot but none the less for those hearty souls that enjoy a migrain , you now have the velocity to get the job done .

Kinda funny just who all is monitoring us isnt it ?? Smiling More yet to come .

Long live the 16ga.

Regards Charles
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:09 pm  Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if those Federal Pheasants Forever loads in 16 ga. were about $17-$20/box. They are good shells, but stores really hike the price up on those; the 20 ga. cost me about $13.99 last ones I bought...and the thing is, you don't really need them in 16 ga. to kill the wild birds. The 1 1/8 oz. Remington Express or Heavy Game Loads in #4 or #6 kill the wild ones just fine--if you hit them solid; and if you don't the PF loads won't bring them down either...

Irish Jack
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:35 pm  Reply with quote

I was wondering what everybodys opinion is of the vel. at which the pattern starts too suffer? and is it worse for tighter choked guns?

Since finding this site a couple months ago I have had a renewed intrest in reloading and patterning my shotguns.

While patterning my new 16 I have also had my 20 out and have a varity of factory loads for it(only using this to further the conversation,I know this is a 16. ga site) this was my experience after shooting about 15 pallet papers @ 35 and 40 yds with an old single shot FULL choke

fed game load 1165 very nice

fiocchi gander mt. store brand 1220 very nice

Fiocchi golden pheasant 1245 not as good

winchester supreme 1300 not good ,in fact worse than not good
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:35 pm  Reply with quote

Kind of a nice looking load, I have been reloading a similar one for about ten years now. With #6's, it drives roosters into the dirt.
Scolari
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:41 am  Reply with quote

Well, at least it's another choice for a #5 shot load. Someone said something about using it for the second shot on a fleeing pheasant. Thats probably a great idea. About the recoil? Now thats a funny thing. I rarely shoot 3 inch shells in any of my guns. I notice the recoil a lot at the pattern board but if I'm in the field shooting at something flying, I don't notice it. I just think it is nice to see something new for the 16. Some will welcome it while others won't. You will have to admit we are seeing some new products. I've waited 40 ro 50 years for this little bit of renewed interest.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:58 am  Reply with quote

Since these loads are probably meant more for full grown wild roosters, I'm very happy to see the addition of #5 shot. It's the perfect size pellet for full grown roosters IMO. 1-1/8 ounces of them should do just fine as well. The bigger pellet at higher velocities will pay off better--more inertia. Smaller pellets shed velocity and energy faster. If these new loads actually live up to their advertized velocity (unlike a certain "golden" load we've tried), I'd bet they will thump the crap out of a high tailing rooster.

As far as recoil is concerned, I kinda doubt any of us would feel it much when a bird goes up. The adreniline rush I get when a rooster flushes prevents it. I think you could whup me upside the head with a cast iron skillet in that split second. Maybe I'd blink, but probably not. Laughing I doubt I'd shoot skeet with them--or trap either. So recoil is a non-issue IMO.

One tip here. I've found that in a 16, the heavier loads of bigger pellets at higher velocities pattern a tad better through a bit less choke than standard if they are loaded into a full depth shot cup. If the Federals are, I suspect these loads would do well out of an improved modified choke (24 points) for longer range shots. A full choke (30 points) might be a bit too much for these fast stepping bigger pellets. They should also pattern sweetly out of an IC choke as well. Those would be my choke selections for my Citori.
steve voss
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:11 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
I've found that in a 16, the heavier loads of bigger pellets at higher velocities pattern a tad better through a bit less choke than standard.

Good point.

I've used the 1 1/8 oz load marked "Scott's Pheasant Slayer" from the spreadsheet for many years and it patterns 80%+ at 40 yards with .015 constriction. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

sv