16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Noob here again
geekonabeach
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

I'm a noob at the world of the gun. My dad was an avid hunter but never invited me along.
So, now I've suddenly inherited his old Model 12 16 ga and I have an old faithful Springfield 20ga.

I'm thinking of getting into reloading my own 16ga shells.
What all do I need to do so, in a cheap but well done way?

Thanks GOAB
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:45 am  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard GOAB, you've come to the right place, there is alot of talent hanging around this sight.

What are your intentions with shooting? Occasional hunting/clays? Or; thousands of target rounds? I ask this to get an idea of the volume of shells/speed of production you might need. This would dictate the equipment.

Again, welcome aboard, nothing like an handed down gun, Mike

jschultz
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:30 am  Reply with quote

GOAB,
Welcome, yes indeed there is a load of knowledge here, unfortunately,if you don’t have the right question or the necessary knowledge to under stand the terminology of reloading, things could get a bit confusing. I suggest that you obtain a copy of Lyman’ s Shot Shell Handbook, 5th addition. This book has the necessary knowledge to get you started and any questions that can’t be answered by reading the handbook will surely be answered here. Good luck.
geekonabeach
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:25 pm  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:
Welcome aboard GOAB, you've come to the right place, there is alot of talent hanging around this sight.

What are your intentions with shooting? Occasional hunting/clays? Or; thousands of target rounds? I ask this to get an idea of the volume of shells/speed of production you might need. This would dictate the equipment.

Again, welcome aboard, nothing like an handed down gun, Mike

yea, i'd like to find a clay club around and some seasonal hunting, squirell, rabbit, duck, turkey, etc.

Thanks.
geekonabeach
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:25 pm  Reply with quote

jschultz wrote:
GOAB,
Welcome, yes indeed there is a load of knowledge here, unfortunately,if you don’t have the right question or the necessary knowledge to under stand the terminology of reloading, things could get a bit confusing. I suggest that you obtain a copy of Lyman’ s Shot Shell Handbook, 5th addition. This book has the necessary knowledge to get you started and any questions that can’t be answered by reading the handbook will surely be answered here. Good luck.

I'll see what the local library has. thanks
bcpifish
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:07 am  Reply with quote

GOAB -

Just a couple of things to consider while you are doing your basic research.

I too, shoot an old (built in 1926) Model 12. I highly recommend that you call Winchester Customer Service and get whatever info they have on your particular gun. I found the phone number by getting on their web site. If you give them the serial #, they can tell you when it was manufactured. You also need to know what length receiver/chamber. Mine is a 2 9/16" and it will not eject some 2 3/4" hulls reliably. This will make a real difference which reloader you will need to purchase.

The very cheapest reloader available is the Lee LoadAll II. Although it is a PITA to use, it will produce good loads once you find a good combination of components. Unfortunately, it has NO adjustments. If your gun has a shorter chamber, this loader simply will not work well for you.

The next step up is the MEC 600 Jr. Mk 5. They have all the adjustments necessary to enable you to effectively load shorter 16 ga. hulls. they are pretty hard to find used and you will probably have to buy a new one. Costs about $130, online. If you go this route, try Connie's. They seem to consistantly have the best prices on MEC loaders.

In addition to Lyman's 5th Ed. Handbook and the loader itself, the other MUST have item is a good scale. Cost here goes from $49 up. The Lee Safety Scale is a little cheaper, but I can't really recommend it. Probably the best deal around is the Lyman 1000 beam scale.

Then, of course, you must get all the necessary components. Hulls (with 16 ga. the best way is just to buy new shells and shoot them, collecting your empty hulls for reloading), primers, wads, and shot.

All total, you will probably need to invest around $300, minimum, to get started. The flip side of that cost is that, especially with 16 ga., you can save around 70% by reloading versus buying new ammo. Plus, you get exactly the kind of load you want, instead of what the store carries by default.

Once you do your basic research and have more definative questions, come back and we will all help as best we can.

In any event, welcome to the 16 ga. fraternity!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if your stupid." - John Wayne
RWG
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:20 pm  Reply with quote

If you decide reloading for your short chambered M 12 is too much of a pain, I suggest you order some RST 2 1/2" shells for the old girl. THey are expensive, but they are some of the best short shells on the market and made in PA. Well worth supporting with our $s.
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:44 pm  Reply with quote

Please, I hope no one takes offense to my suggestion, but if you are going to buy an MEC single-stage reloader. Spend the extra money and buy the Sizemaster. The collet resizer on the Sizemaster, is a lot BETTER than the resizing ring die found on the 600Jr. and there is a primer feed to boot on the Sizemaster. (The resize ring is fine for brass head shells, unfortunately most shell heads now are steel.)

At one time I sold a lot of both reloaders and the Sizemaster is worth any extra dollars.
RWG
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:51 pm  Reply with quote

Agree with dogchaser. Collet resizer is a must.
putz463
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:40 am  Reply with quote

[quote="RWG"]Agree with dogchaser. Collet resizer is a must.[/quote]

x3, but dont forget to consider Roll Crimping instead of folded crimp. I think if that M12 ends up with shorter chambers it's easier to adjust for making different shell/hull lengths with RCing than folded.

If RCing the collet resizer (MEC Super Sizer) can be mounted in a drill press to acomplish two tasks; resizing and holding during the RC.

IMO the only draw back with RCing would be if you shoot alot and need to churn out tons of shells and don't have much free time. This technique isn't as fast as folding but not by much once you're set up and...rolling...sorry about that. Rolling Eyes

I think the sugestion about familiarizing yourself with reloading through reading first is a fantastic idea.

Good luck, Mike

bcpifish
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:01 pm  Reply with quote

dogchaser et.al. -

While I take no offense at your recommendation of the Sizemaster versus the 600 Jr., I do take issue with your contention.

I have loaded in excess of 40,000 rounds on a 600 Jr. Mk5 with absolutely no problems with the ring style resizer. It works superbly on all shells, including the steel-based style. If you believe the collet resizer to be better, fine. Just don't imply that the ring resizer does not work, and work well. Most of the top-of-the-line loaders have, and still do, use ring type resizers. I'm not familiar with all brands, but as far as I know, only MEC has gone to the collet type resizer on some of it's loaders. I could be wrong about that, as I sure don't know all the machines (Spolar, etc.)

I see no reason to recommend to a novice reloader looking to get into the hobby for the least expense possible, purchase of a costlier loader. the 600 Jr. will do everything needed, and do it well.

If, upon famialization with the hobby, GOAB wants to go to a better, faster machine, he can easily sell a 16 ga. MEC 600 Jr. Mk5 for about 70% of retail and move to a Grabber of a 9000.

dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:34 pm  Reply with quote

BCP,

You might not have, but if steel head shells are fired in guns that have a chamber on the big side, you WILL have problems with the 600 Jr.

I have heard more than one complaint about it and experienced the problem myself with some Federal games loads and my own 20 gauge 600 Jr. It is a PITA, it strips the steel of any coating and can put some fairly large and deep scores in the steel head.

For what little difference there is in cost, the Sizemaster is the better option.

To take this one step farther, why do you think MEC makes the Supersizer?
bcpifish
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:52 pm  Reply with quote

According to MEC, they make it for folks who like to use the 650 and resize as a seperate operation. Other than that, I don't know.

BTW, I resize hulls I pick up on the range and I just bought 1,000 hulls from PapCharlie. I'd bet that some of them had been fired by guns with slightly oversize chambers. All have resized with no problem.

dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:19 pm  Reply with quote

BCP

OK!