16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Win SuperX CF or PF
GrouseHunter
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:35 am  Reply with quote

I am new to reloading and just starting to select components.

I have some black Remington Game Load hulls. They are a little too hot for me from the factory, but the price was right. I have a couple recipes for these.

I prefer Win Super X Game Loads. They shoot better in my gun for whatever reason. Maybe type of powder or different base wad? I don't know if these are called the compression formed or poly-formed. Can you tell by looking at a hull and what is the difference between CF and PF? I have some of these but they don't match the pictures I have. They are about 5 years old I think.

My goal is mostly to load light spreaders for close range grouse and woodcock. I plan to get the Polywad inserts and the XTREAM inserts. Maybe try some layered payload loads. I understand with the Polywad insert you just substitute it for 1/8oz shot. I don't see much information around about the use of the XTREAMS.

I have some recipes but it seems none of the components overlap. Any suggestions about what I should pick up to get started to get the most out of the hulls I have? I would really prefer to use the same powder in both but I don't know if this is possible looking at the recipes I have. I suppose I should study Lymans 5th edition and BPI 16g manual before I order any components?

Thanks for reading.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:57 am  Reply with quote

Your Winchesters providing they have been manufactured since about 2000 are a Cheddite or Cheddite clone Reifenhauser (3 piece) hull. If you have a box you will see that they were made in Italy or Australia. For load data use data developed for the Cheddite hulls.

As far as components go I would recommend ordering Gualandi 1621 wads from Graf & Sons if they are back in stock or SG16 from Ballistic Products. It's cheaper to get your wads from Grafs because they are the US importer and B P buys their wads from Grafs at about the same price you can and re packages them. For powder I prefer Unique. It makes good loads from 7/8th through 1 1/8th ounce but there have been some good loads developed using Green Dot and Solo 1250. I use Winchester 209 primers because they are available about anywhere and give good performance.

I now need to put in the pitch to join the 16 Gauge Loaders Group, sometimes referred to as the Low Pressure Group. This is a group of individuals that have put together a veritable treasure trove of 16 gauge load data all of which has been tested so you know that you are getting good reliable data. If you are interested send Russel Gray a private message. He posts on this board as RWG. Welcome aboard and have fun.
GrouseHunter
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:26 am  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel wrote:
Your Winchesters providing they have been manufactured since about 2000 are a Cheddite or Cheddite clone Reifenhauser (3 piece) hull. If you have a box you will see that they were made in Italy or Australia. For load data use data developed for the Cheddite hulls.

Well I certainly was not expecting that Shocked

They do in fact say Made in Australia.

Thanks! Good to know.

When you say 3 piece that means brass, case and separate base wad?

Looking in mine I am guessing they are 3 piece. I see a clear or slightly greenish plastic base wad. Does it matter which they are and do they hold up as well or better than the black RGL?
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:41 am  Reply with quote

GrouseHunter wrote:
[
When you say 3 piece that means brass, case and separate base wad?

Looking in mine I am guessing they are 3 piece. I see a clear or slightly greenish plastic base wad. Does it matter which they are and do they hold up as well or better than the black RGL?

Yes the 3 pieces are the tube, plastic base wad and metal (brass or stamped steel) head.

Which hull as the best longevity between the two is a topic of ongoing discussion. I've had good results with both. Other folks have not. I suggest you give both a try and decide for yourself.
Bronco
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:07 pm  Reply with quote

Twice Barrell, Graff's is still out of 1621's and does not expect a shipment anytime soon. They are trying to put together a half container rather than their usual full container. I am down to my last bag of 1621's so I have my fingers crossed that the container will arrive by spring or Charles' 16ga 3/4oz wads will hit the market Very Happy
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:58 pm  Reply with quote

Seems like everyone is stocking up for spring. Grafs is also out of the Claybuster WAA clone's in the 500 count bag as well. I have ever empty hull I own loaded and am just waiting for the weather to break so I can start shooting comfortably again.