16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Claybuster WAA Clone Wads For 1 Oz Loads - Fantastic!
Keith_Rich
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:09 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks to 16gaugeguy, I have finally found the quality plastic wad/shotcup that has solved my 16 gauge reloading problems. Using Fiocchi hulls, I could not find a wad/shotcup that would adequately fill the space inside the hull for a good crimp nor completely contain the full 1 oz of shot - as all of my other loads in different gauges do. I received the sample pack of 25 Claybuster Wads yesterday and loaded some up and shot them and they are fantastic! Thank you 16gaugeguy and thank you Claybuster! You can call J-Ron Inc at 1(800)922-6287 and talk to Alan Hensley. I can not find the 16 ga wads listed in any catalogs, but they have them in stock.

Keith Rich
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:51 pm  Reply with quote

Graf & Sons is currently out of the 500 count bags but I'm sure they will be getting more soon.

Here is a link to order the 5000 count case: http://www.grafs.com/product/206521
justchris
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:08 pm  Reply with quote

Gamaliel Shooting Supply carries them too.

http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/home.php?cat=1677
Square Load
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

I was at Recob's earlier this month and they had them in the store, $11 something/bag. I don't see them on their website, maybe they haven't listed them yet. Question You could give them a call.

Dennis
Keith_Rich
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

I ordered mine from midsouthshootersupply.com. Phone number is: 1(800)272-3000. Price was $10.82 per bag of 500.

Keith
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:36 pm  Reply with quote

That's good to know regarding the Claybuster wads and Fiocchi hulls. I'd like to see some of those wads and compare the diameter with the Win AA16 wads. Are they flared out at the bottom to better seal the gases?
mtjim
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:10 am  Reply with quote

Keith_Rich wrote:
Thanks to 16gaugeguy, I have finally found the quality plastic wad/shotcup that has solved my 16 gauge reloading problems. Using Fiocchi hulls, I could not find a wad/shotcup that would adequately fill the space inside the hull for a good crimp nor completely contain the full 1 oz of shot - as all of my other loads in different gauges do. I received the sample pack of 25 Claybuster Wads yesterday and loaded some up and shot them and they are fantastic! Thank you 16gaugeguy and thank you Claybuster! You can call J-Ron Inc at 1(800)922-6287 and talk to Alan Hensley. I can not find the 16 ga wads listed in any catalogs, but they have them in stock.

Keith Rich

What other components are you using for this 1 oz load?
Keith_Rich
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:52 am  Reply with quote

mtjim - Fiocchi hulls and Fiocchi 616 primers. Then you have a choice of using either Unique or Herco powder.

Unique Powder: 19 grs = 1165 fps/8100 psi
20.5 grs = 1220 fps/8800 psi

Herco Powder: 21 grs = 1220 fps/8900 psi

These recipes were given to me by Alan Hensley at J-Rona Inc and are pretty much the same recipes that are in my Reloader's Digest using Fiocchi hulls/616 primers and BP wads. Hope this helps.

Keith
mtjim
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:09 am  Reply with quote

Keith_Rich wrote:
mtjim - Fiocchi hulls and Fiocchi 616 primers. Then you have a choice of using either Unique or Herco powder.

Unique Powder: 19 grs = 1165 fps/8100 psi
20.5 grs = 1220 fps/8800 psi

Herco Powder: 21 grs = 1220 fps/8900 psi

These recipes were given to me by Alan Hensley at J-Rona Inc and are pretty much the same recipes that are in my Reloader's Digest using Fiocchi hulls/616 primers and BP wads. Hope this helps.

Keith

Thanks a bunch Keith.

Jim
Hootch
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:18 am  Reply with quote

Any more data out there for Fiocchi/claybuster wads?? Especially 7/8, 1 oz loads but would like to see velocity up to 1300fps!

Any 2.5" hull/claybuster data???
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:21 am  Reply with quote

K-R, you are entirely welcome. Glad to hear they worked out for you. They looked to me like they were a sure bet.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
That's good to know regarding the Claybuster wads and Fiocchi hulls. I'd like to see some of those wads and compare the diameter with the Win AA16 wads. Are they flared out at the bottom to better seal the gases?

Dave, the sample wads I examined looked like they are flaired out enough so proper wad seating pressure will do the rest for most flake or flat disc powders.

as far as powder migration with ball powders, all bets are off. I've had powder migration problems with a number of wads, even occasionally when using Winchester wads in compression formed AA target hulls.

However, try my suggestion of seating a 1-1/4 inch square plastic patch cut from a stout trash bag under and around the wad base as an extra seal if you want to use a ball powder. This trick solves the problem nicely for hunting ammo. For target ammo, stick with the moderately fast flake powders and avoid the problem all together.
Keith_Rich
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:00 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:

Dave - I asked Alan Hensley that question and he said that the Claybuster wads were specifically made for the straight-walled 16 ga hulls. I loaded some up yesterday and shot them and they work just fine.

Keith
Keith_Rich
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:03 am  Reply with quote

as far as powder migration with ball powders, all bets are off. I've had powder migration problems with a number of wads, even occasionally when using Winchester wads in compression formed AA target hulls.

However, try my suggestion of seating a 1-1/4 inch square plastic patch cut from a stout trash bag under and around the wad base as an extra seal if you want to use a ball powder. This trick solves the problem nicely for hunting ammo. For target ammo, stick with the moderately fast flake powders and avoid the problem all together.[/quote]

16guageguy - what are the flake powders and what are the ball powders (Unique/Herco?)

Keith