16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  New Claybusters WAA 16 clone wad...dissappointment!
Keith_Rich
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

pumpgun wrote:
Shot about 150 1oz. green dot loads this morning using claybuster wads and Federal hulls on 5-stand. Temp was initially 10º, warmed up to 20º. Not a single blooper, or off-sounding report. Even broke more targets than any of the 12 gauges on the squad. Embarassed For target work, at least, I now prefer this wad over the GU1621 in straight walled cases, because the entire shot column is contained within the claybuster's shotcup, and leading is not an issue. FWIW, I measured the internal dia. of both a Federal and a Cheddite at ~0.670, no reason a claybuster won't work as well in a Cheddite hull.

Pumpgun - glad to hear it - your experience was the same as mine with Fiocchi hulls. The claybusters work great!

Keith
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:00 pm  Reply with quote

From those specs on the single cavity prototype , I increased the dia. of the wad by .005 on the production mold .

Regards Charles
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:16 pm  Reply with quote

Charles Hammack wrote:
From those specs on the single cavity prototype , I increased the dia. of the wad by .005 on the production mold .

Regards Charles

Charles, i'm really looking forward to using your wads! They sound perfect.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:34 am  Reply with quote

Folks be happy that Claybusters brought out the AA clone , this gives us more options .

Oh by the way Claybusters only copies 100% verbadum the reason the size is different than the orginal is that in order for plastic to hit the exact size those folks would have to be lucky enought to have hit the lottery .

Shrinkage and tolerences come in to play they hit it with in the margin of 5% +, - . It would appear they error on the plus side is all .

So technically they are correct for it came out a wee bit larger that it is a custom wad enhansed , by luck or design is not the issue , just be greatful for the wad , after all it is a 16ga product .

Regards Charles
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:20 am  Reply with quote

When I called Claybuster to order a 25 count sample pack, I had the opportunity to talk with one of the folks here at length about the wad. He told me CB intentionally flaired the base a bit bigger than the original wad, so it would be suitable for use in both the straight walled hulls and the Remington or other smaller diameter hulls as well.

I got the impression CB has been monitoring our website for input and ideas. This might explain the almost parallel developement of their wad and Nick's design. This might also explain why CB finally commited to making the wad after so many years of putting it off. If so, it shows just how influencial this site has become in all things 16 gauge.
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:26 am  Reply with quote

Ok, I'm going to step back a little and give some praise to the new WAA16 wad.

It is an excellent 1 oz wad for the remington hull. I did some patterning with it, and the results were impressive...a very even, well distributed pattern.

The wad, as many have pointed out should be fine for target shooting with a straight walled hull when using large grained powder like greendot.

I still wish Claybuster's had flared the base out more, as I am not comfortable using small grained powder like Universal (my preferred powder for a 1 oz load) or Longshot with a straight walled hull with the new WAA16 wad.
Keith_Rich
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:59 am  Reply with quote

bowbuilder wrote:
Ok, I'm going to step back a little and give some praise to the new WAA16 wad.

It is an excellent 1 oz wad for the remington hull. I did some patterning with it, and the results were impressive...a very even, well distributed pattern.

The wad, as many have pointed out should be fine for target shooting with a straight walled hull when using large grained powder like greendot.

I still wish Claybuster's had flared the base out more, as I am not comfortable using small grained powder like Universal (my preferred powder for a 1 oz load) or Longshot with a straight walled hull with the new WAA16 wad.

bowbuilder - Well said, sir!

Keith
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:19 pm  Reply with quote

Bowbuilder, I also would not use them as is for certain uses unless I first do something to augment or improve the base seal. That is why I thought of using a square patch of polyethylene cut from a stout trash bag. I got the idea from the practice of using patched round balls in a muzzleloader. My idea works very well. It is just one more useful tool we have in our "16 gauge tool kits" so to speak.