16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  16 Gauge 'Fulton'
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

Does anyone have information about the Hunter Arms, 'Fulton' 16 gauge. I had shot one of these guns several years ago and it has my interest. It was a double trigger gun. Did they make a single trigger model? Barrel lengths? LOP and cast? As I remember it had a color case hardened receiver. Anyone actually own one of these guns and know about drawbacks or weakness in the design. What is a decent price for a nice gun?

I would just like to know about the Fulton, and not get mixed up with all the history of L.C. Smith etc.

Thanks.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:30 am  Reply with quote

Please see http://www.lcsmith.org/faq/fulton.html
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/17126039

Roadkill
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:52 am  Reply with quote

I purchased a 16ga Fulton last year, 28" bbls, mod/full, app 75% case color remaining, bluing starting to fade to a pleasant plum shade, mint bores, numerous minor dings/scratches on the wood and the tips of the checkering somewhat worn. Locks up tight on face, a nice solid shooter with decent stock dimensions, 1-1/2 dac, 2-1/4 dah. I gave $400 and feel that I made a reasonably good buy. It has become one of my favorite skeet guns since I had the chokes opened to .005/.010. Based on my experience, I recommend them - for whatever that is worth. Razz
last dollar
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:16 am  Reply with quote

Fultons present a lot of value for the money' I have several. pic is of a 16 I had stocked by Wenigs this year..Good Guns

dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:44 am  Reply with quote

Last Dollar,

Wenig does some beautiful work don't they. A friend of mine had a couple of 42's redone by them, flawless work.

To get back to the Fulton's, have you ever seen a Fulton Special, or a single trigger?
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:49 am  Reply with quote

Roadkill,

Thanks for the stock dimensions, that explains why I shot it half decent. The SxS's with more drop just don't work for me.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:57 am  Reply with quote

1935 a non-selective single trigger was added as an option for the Fulton gun.

dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:03 am  Reply with quote

Revdocdrew,

Thanks for the websites, but when I went to the damascus site I didn't find any Hunter Arms info. I like the other info on damascus, as I have no background on the subject.
M D Christian
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:24 am  Reply with quote

Hunter Arms made 3 boxlock models, the Fulton, the Fulton Special and the Hunter Special, which had the Smith rotary bolt.. All were available with the non-selective single trigger.>>MDC
last dollar
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:28 am  Reply with quote

I just sold a 16 "Fulton Special" Nice gun, had Birds engraved on it rather than the checkered cheeks. I have a single trigger 16 Fulton, on permanent loan to one of my daughters. I dont remember and it aint here but I think its a "Ranger". I also have a 12 with 26" bbls...And a 20 with a horrible 4" bakelite stock extension...I wrote a really neat article called "Return to Fulton", submitted to DGJ and never published. About a 2 week trip to the Montana "Highline" using 4 Fultons to take Pheasants, Huns, Sage Grouse, Sharptails, Chickens and Ducks...had great pics too...
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:51 am  Reply with quote

Last Dollar,

What I would like, single trigger, 28" barrels, 16 gauge, Fulton.

Any other items would be a plus. I can deal with double triggers, but the 28" barrels, 16 gauge, and Fulton aren't negotiable.

I am green with envy about you spending 2 weeks in Montana. I have hunted Iowa, Kansas, South Dakota and Nebraska almost every year over the last 16 years. The last two states are North Dakota and more importantly Montana at least for me. (My wife will be first in the car if I told her Montana.)
last dollar
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:41 pm  Reply with quote

Two Barrels, two triggers! I am not a fan of single triggers, I think you will be hard put to find a Fulton with a single trigger. FYI: there are a couple of pretty decent Fulton 16's for sale on this forum right now...
inthex
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:46 pm  Reply with quote

My 1st sxs was a Fulton 16ga. I traded it with a buddy with the understanding that if he ever got rid of it, it would come back to me. He must have forgot because he sold it and I never knew until years later. Evil or Very Mad
That was 30 years ago.
I felt so bad about selling it that over the years I have replaced it with (2) 12 ga's in 98%, a 16ga in 95% and a sweet little 20ga that is almost new.
I guess you can say I'll been a fan of the Fultons for awhile. The 16 and 20 took Pheasant in S.D. last year and we're heading out to do it again this year also. Very Happy
inthex
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:36 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you all for the advice and education.

I really don't know where to find guns listed on this site other than in this forum,

Is there any other place on 16ga.com that lists shotguns for sale.

Does anyone have a 28" barreled, 16 gauge, Fulton for sale?
last dollar
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:36 am  Reply with quote

Just scroll down thru the subjects on this forum. There is a "ranger" that is a fulton which would meet your needs. And further down, another really nice 16 Fulton (link to Gun broker) I saw another one recently, if I can remember where, I will post it here...Good luck!!!